Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by op487062
Thank you all for the reviews and other information in this thread, it is very helpful.

I'm planning my first trip to Paris in November with my girlfriend for four nights (budget €1000/nt), is a regular room at GV/Bristol/Pen/SL recommended over a jr suite at PHV/PdG (or others)?

Our plans in Paris are to look at some sites, dine once or twice, and shop. (Have to admit, the GV reputation intimidates me a little.)
I second the recommendation for the MO Paris and the amazing shopping and proximity to the Louvre, d'Orsay, etc. The Vendome is less touristy, shockingly, and a bit more sophisticated for us--without the glam by the GV.

We also often stay at the nearby Westin Vendome (whenever wanting/redeeming SPG points), Park Hyatt Vendome (whenever wanting/redeeming Hyatt points), and the boutique Hotel de Vendome also right there in the same few blocks. We once got the Presidential Suite at the Hotel de Vendome for 650 euro (after upgrade), and their restaurant, Restaurant 1 Place Vendome, is one of our Paris secret staples. :-)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
If shopping is on the agenda and you find George V a little intimidating, then I heartily recommend Mandarin Oriental Paris, which is lethally positioned amongst all the best shops. Great concierge team there, too.
I cannot more highly recommend the MO Paris. Fantastic location for shopping, and if you prefer a more modern property - as opposed to the standard Palaces - you will love it.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
And I currently discount any hotel in the Dorchester collection which includes Le Meurice and Plaza Athenee.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:21 pm

Thank you for the suggestion of the Mandarin Oriental. The hotel advised me to check next week to see if the Suite Temptations offer is extended into November. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
MO Paris is very nice. I stayed there when it just opened so I supposed the service would have improve a lot since. On the other hand, the FSGV is one of the most over-rated hotels I have ever had the misfortunate to stay in. MO Paris or the new Pen will be far superior choices.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
And I currently discount any hotel in the Dorchester collection which includes Le Meurice and Plaza Athenee.
For what reason? Both are excellent hotels, although admittedly Plaza Athenee is too glitzy for my liking.

Something to do with owner?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
For what reason? Both are excellent hotels, although admittedly Plaza Athenee is too glitzy for my liking.

I'll chime in here. Until the ownership changes, I am wary of even walking past a Dorchester Hotel. All of'em. There is simply too much potential downside, both professionally and personally.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:21 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Yes, Dorchester Collection is owned by the Sultanate of Brunei--which just imposed Sharia law in Brunei. The outcry has been loud and immediate, and many are boycotting all Dorchester Collection properties in protest.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yes, Dorchester Collection is owned by the Sultanate of Brunei--which just imposed Sharia law in Brunei. The outcry has been loud and immediate, and many are boycotting all Dorchester Collection properties in protest.
Right, I remember hearing about this. Of course the hotels are being boycotted. I wasn't thinking (typed message at 4:25 am)...

Hopefully boycotts will work to effect change, although this is a real shame for hotel employees.

Not staying at Dorchester is really no hardship, as there are even better options in all locations IMHO.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

penisula paris and raffles paris are both owned by qatar.

other hotels are owned by saudi arabia / UAE. (i bet including in LA.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 31, 2014 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by BENLEE
On the other hand, the FSGV is one of the most over-rated hotels I have ever had the misfortunate to stay in.
I'm surprised to hear this. Have never stayed there but it's on my 'list'.
I which ways did it disappoint ?
And does anyone else share this view ?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:11 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Nizar
We've not stayed at the FSGV in Paris, but we've been numerous times to the bar and once to Le Cinq. From the first, we knew it wasn't for us. No kind way to put this, but for us it was just too much blue hair and too much formality. The bar was nice, Le Cinq was nice...but we had no interest in staying there. It just didn't feel right for us. To be fair, we are't big fans of that area in Paris, either.

We prefer the Vendome. The MO, PH are more our style...feeling swank yet energetic and youthful and modern...but we still often prefer boutique and getting more for our money even then. Hence we've also stayed in suites at the Westin and at the Hotel de Vendome (Presidential Suite) for less than a regular room at any of the "palace" type hotels. In Oct we'll be at the Westin Vendome, likely in a junior suite (SPG Plat upgrade).

I think the FSGV is a wonderful hotel--but it doesn't fit everyone. Yet I feel too many people think they should think it's the best, even when it isn't for them. We love many FS properties, but GV is absolutely not among them.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
penisula paris and raffles paris are both owned by qatar.

other hotels are owned by saudi arabia / UAE. (i bet including in LA.)
Very good point Kage (and let's not forget all those state-owned airlines).

Back OT, I second the recommendations for the MO. It's a very comfortable place with a lively atmosphere and in a lively and convenient location.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Nizar
I wrote a review in TA and you can read about it here :

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...de_France.html

In summary, mediocre rooms and suites with unexceptional service at a hugely inflated price-tag. Granted I only stayed for one night so my experience might be a one-off. Maybe it's just my bad luck as this hotel has many fans in this forum. To the hotel's credit, they did took a lot of steps after learning about my bad experience to rectify the situation including inviting me back for a free stay which I declined. The common areas are indeed beautiful, but there is no need to stay here to experience it.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by BENLEE
I wrote a review in TA and you can read about it here :

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...de_France.html

In summary, mediocre rooms and suites with unexceptional service at a hugely inflated price-tag. Granted I only stayed for one night so my experience might be a one-off. Maybe it's just my bad luck as this hotel has many fans in this forum. To the hotel's credit, they did took a lot of steps after learning about my bad experience to rectify the situation including inviting me back for a free stay which I declined. The common areas are indeed beautiful, but there is no need to stay here to experience it.
Thanks for sharing that for for clarifying your opinion, I appreciate that. Looks like its Pen v MO v Shangrila if I ever make it to Paris !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.