Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:09 am

chinmoylad, I totally agree with you. Considering CB Paris was co-designed by Peter Marino, who usually doesn't do hospitality, I was expecting a lot... the multitudes of beige are fine and expected and I understand that the craftsmanship and quality are pristine, but it does look a little disappointing and bland.

I have seen all three mock up rooms at the George V and every one of them was leagues ahead of Cheval Blanc.

Maybe the specialty suites will be different, I understand one of them has a private pool, but other than that... we shall see. I hope to see more pictures and eventually stay myself but right now, I am not too excited.

Edit: Also interesting they still have a "work desk", instead of a dining table... which none of the usual suspects do these days!
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Cheval Blanc Paris opens 7 September.
Looks like rates are around EUR 1,150/night for the entry level room, which is more or less in line with the other top of the range (expected they'd be higher actually).
The interiors look nothing like what I was expecting though...
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/chev...eptember-2021/
Disappointing interior...looks very boring and doesn't have much character
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:52 am

I disagree about Cheval Blanc Paris. Don't forget these are pre-opening photos, so tend to stick with details rather than showing the whole thing. I like the feel of it - very airy and clean, with quality fittings and really good views. The Apartment, which has 7 bedrooms and is set on 2 floors, is the one with the pool. I also like the fact that it is a small hotel - just 72 rooms/suites.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:26 am

Wrapped up another five night stay at the Crillon last week. The “are you a guest” question was fortunately not an issue this time. Although it was clear that occupancy has picked up but staffing level hasn’t recovered. The service was decidedly less personal and there were a few small misses. Nothing that impacted our stay materially though and it was still enjoyable.

We used points and spent 2 nights at the Park Hyatt before leaving France and it was absolutely terrible. First time back since 2013 and the hotel has really fallen very low.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Fc912
Wrapped up another five night stay at the Crillon last week. The “are you a guest” question was fortunately not an issue this time. Although it was clear that occupancy has picked up but staffing level hasn’t recovered. The service was decidedly less personal and there were a few small misses. Nothing that impacted our stay materially though and it was still enjoyable.

We used points and spent 2 nights at the Park Hyatt before leaving France and it was absolutely terrible. First time back since 2013 and the hotel has really fallen very low.
Can you say more about PH? The last time I was there was in 2014.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Can you say more about PH? The last time I was there was in 2014.
Too many to list - but the general theme was poor service delivered robotically without any sense of warmth. Zero apologies either when feedback was provided or errors pointed out.

Housekeeping barging into the room without knocking. Breakfast served cold with soggy pastries (after 30 minutes wait). Concierge providing wrong information and sending us to a bar that’s closed. Transportation not arranged timely. Phone in the room not working (and when asked, condescendingly told “you know you have to press line 1 before dialing”). My friend’s luggage was delayed and they provided minimal assistance and didn’t really care.

The room was ok - they definitely did some renovation in the past few years (eg adding Toto toilets) and have maintained it fairly well. I did find the bedsheets and towels subpar for a hotel trying to compete with the best in Paris.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:25 am

Great, thanks. Will be canceling my (points) reservation and either return to Le Meurice, try a new Palace, or try a lower-priced Hyatt on a corporate rate.
Fc912 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:36 am

Great, thanks. Will be canceling my (points) reservation and either return to Le Meurice, try a new Palace, or try a lower-priced Hyatt on a corporate rate.
Really a shame what the Park Hyatt has turned into. I had pretty good memories of my stay in 2013.

On Le Meurice - we had a couple drinks there and it was infinitely better. I’ve not stayed since 2015 but the restaurant hostess, doorman, and everybody we encountered during our short 90 minute visit was pleasant.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Mandarin has very good rates at the moment (3for 2). Wanted to stay at George V but rates are much higher as before pandemic and I doubt experience will be the same.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Mandarin has very good rates at the moment (3for 2). Wanted to stay at George V but rates are much higher as before pandemic and I doubt experience will be the same.
Love Four Seasons but George V disappointed me lately, but maybe increased occupancy and staffing levels will fix the issues.

MO has a new lady GM/RVP after Philippe Leboeuf moved to London to open Raffles there soon...

Has anyone stayed at Peninsula recently since Mauro took over?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:24 pm

Speaking of Le Meurice, is it the sort of place in which you'd feel uncomfortable if not very well dressed? For example, would a polo shirt, slacks and sneakers be sufficient to fit in (other than for the restaurant that requires a jacket)?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:40 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by richarddd
Speaking of Le Meurice, is it the sort of place in which you'd feel uncomfortable if not very well dressed? For example, would a polo shirt, slacks and sneakers be sufficient to fit in (other than for the restaurant that requires a jacket)?
Le Meurice is definitely NOT snooty. I've worn jeans in the lobby and felt perfectly comfortable. No reason to get dressed up to go in or out of the hotel.
richarddd likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
Le Meurice is definitely NOT snooty. I've worn jeans in the lobby and felt perfectly comfortable. No reason to get dressed up to go in or out of the hotel.
Same for breakfast?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:51 pm

We were guests for 4 nights at Le Meurice back in 2015. We are young (mid-20s at the time) and were not elegantly dressed (albeit not schlubby either). I've never felt more welcome at any non-Aman hotel, ever. At check-in, during breakfast, even at the bar for drinks. Dinner might be another story, but we didn't partake.
richarddd, FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:54 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by richarddd
Same for breakfast?
Same for breakfast. Though it's served in the hotel's quite elegant dining room ... it nonetheless feels quite casual.

BTW, if you book Le Meurice through one of the Diamond Club travel advisors on this forum, the breakfast amenity is quite generous — virtually anything on the menu (except caviar and champagne), including tax and gratuity, in any venue including room service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.