Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Shower in a Luxury Hotel (or which to avoid)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:59 am

Best Hotel Shower Experiences

I recently stayed at Oetker's Palacio Tangara and really enjoyed the shower experience in my bathroom. They had a combination of a ceiling mounted system as well as a handheld piece with Grohe's latest oxygenated spray.
This got me thinking about the other hotel shower experiences that I've enjoyed in the past. The best one I recall is at the Dolder Grand where there's a wide rainshower above and a set of powerful jets on either side. It was bliss.

Would anyone else care to identify other hotels that provide superior/spa-like showers in their rooms?
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Have a look at this thread:

Nothing new from my side
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:27 am

Thank you very much for that! Can't imagine how I missed it.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Alila Uluwatu, first time I experienced those side jets. Coupled with a large rain shower, it was bliss.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
St Regis New York. Hands down. Freaking fabulous.
damon88 and MikeFromTokyo like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 9, 2018 at 10:01 pm
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Member

Las Ventanss al Paraiso
Laucala
The large suites at Le Bristol
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Best showers
Andaz Tokyo
Aman Tokyo

Both are heavenly with ease of use, straight up water pressure and excellent temperatures.

Avoid
PH Seoul - Weak water pressure with a terrible design oriented fixture. The only decent showers are in Diplomatic Suite, Presidential suite and changing room showers.

Amanoi - Guessing with two nobs gets old after a 14 hour flight, a connection, a long drive into the property and jetlag.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
St Regis New York. Hands down. Freaking fabulous.
Originally Posted by KatW
The large suites at Le Bristol
Completely agree. The Peninsula across the street in New York also has ample water pressure.

The Peninsula Bangkok has great showers, excellent pressure. If spas count, my favorite showers ever have been in the spa suites at this hotel. They have the largest Dornbracht “Rain Sky” along with steam, hand shower, and everything else. I can’t even imagine the number of gallons per minute it must use, but it’s heavenly. So is the in suite double sized “Onzen” bath with chromo lighting and various functions. And the spa treatments in my experience have always been excellent.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:48 am

Four Seasons Doha - Nothing fancy. Normal basic shower with a normal wall mounted nozzle. But wow, power power power. One of the best showers I have had.

Shangri-La Abu Dhabi - Beautiful looking, but the saddest weakest rain shower.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Amanoi - Guessing with two nobs gets old after a 14 hour flight, a connection, a long drive into the property and jetlag.
Ha! That was me at the Dolder Grand! In any case, I have a deep dislike of being splattered by seemingly ice-cold water while the shower figures out how to bring up the temperature so I took one look at their half-dozen knobs, dials and nozzles and gave myself a cat-wash in the bathtub instead. After a good 8 hours' sleep, however, that shower was absolutely amazing. And reasonably straightforward to figure out - unlike their lighting [spent the night with a pillow over my head as I couldn't find the master switch - yes, I was that tired and jetlagged].
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by passionforhotels
Ha! That was me at the Dolder Grand! In any case, I have a deep dislike of being splattered by seemingly ice-cold water while the shower figures out how to bring up the temperature so I took one look at their half-dozen knobs, dials and nozzles and gave myself a cat-wash in the bathtub instead. After a good 8 hours' sleep, however, that shower was absolutely amazing. And reasonably straightforward to figure out - unlike their lighting [spent the night with a pillow over my head as I couldn't find the master switch - yes, I was that tired and jetlagged].
Amanoi's was just annoying because it was two unmarked silver nobs and you can't know which way until you get blasted by cold water or scalded. Didn't help that the hot water dial would produce scalding water since it was a tropical country. The metal nob also heated up very quickly too. No space between water and wall to really experiment either. By 2nd day, I knew the right positioning for the temps I wanted but first couple of showers was aggravating.
passionforhotels likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Member

Many luxury hotel showers are good examples of form/design over function.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Many luxury hotel showers are good examples of form/design over function.
But the best are often of a simple design with luxurious water flow/pressure.
KatW likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:16 am

Hotel d'Angleterre Geneva has the best water pressure I've ever experienced.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
But the best are often of a simple design with luxurious water flow/pressure.
Exactly. That's a BASIC requirement of a shower IMO, not luxury, and yet so many luxury hotels still can't get even that right. Hence this thread, I assume.

I'd also expect - as a basic requirement - that a shower reaches a desirable temperature easily (and maintains it) AND doesn't leak all over the bathroom floor. The water from my shower at home doesn't run across the floor so why do so many hotel showers still have this problem?

Also, while I'm ranting, a hotel shower should have enough space for me to put my toiletries and I'd prefer a shelf rather than a wire rack where the wires are either so far apart that everything slips through the gap or so spaced apart that nothing can stand upright and falls over all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.