Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
100%
Just to tie it back to Pulo before I get in trouble...I did enjoy having dinners at the beach club much more than by the pool restaurant.
Was it because of the view or the food? If it was the food what are the main differences between them? Does anyone have a link (or pics) to the current menus at Pulo? I will be ordering lots of Mangos!
Old May 30, 2019, 12:34 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I think you are going to be right.

I love, love, love an incredible true white sand beach. All the reports and pics of how stunning theirs is was the main factor in choosing Pulo over other Amans or other properties in general. We thought about Amanoi which looks quite nice, but the beach does not appear to be anywhere near the same league as Pulo. The architecture and design looks amazing there though. Give us a truly gorgeous beach and great food and we will be very happy. If Aman service is there too then we will be over the moon. Geez I can't wait!
Funny enough, I'm currently helping a client to plan an Asia trip and debating between Pulo and Noi for a stop. Very tough!
Two very different properties. I view Noi's beach to merely be a bonus and I would never suggest someone to go there as a "beach" getaway but the hard product at Noi is stunning and one of the best within Amans, I think. The service is a bit more consistent than Pulo as well, it seems. But if you're after a proper beach trip, tough to beat Pulo. If you're a beach person, it probably makes most sense to get Pulo out of the way first then go see Amanoi

If Noi's level of hard product can be combined with Pulo's settings, I'd return every year!
I suppose you can make the argument that Maldives has something like that but Pulo's beach/water is probably still better than most islands in Maldives. I did very much like The Brando. Thought it was a great hard product (but plunge pool a bit small) + amazing island. Snorkeling is better at Amanpulo, though.
FlyerEC and 1readyset2go like this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; May 30, 2019 at 12:41 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 12:37 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Was it because of the view or the food? If it was the food what are the main differences between them? Does anyone have a link (or pics) to the current menus at Pulo? I will be ordering lots of Mangos!
Sorry for the confusion!

Food was fine. Views / sounds at the beach club is much better.
The restaurant by the pool is fine, but sitting by a large pool with no ocean view felt odd to me. All the while knowing the ocean is just on the other side. lol.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:19 am

Thanks for your feedback. I am still trying to plan our upcoming summer travel and your post made me wonder if I should just take it the easy way (we already will be in China) and opt for Amanpulo instead of all kinds of complex itineraries.

Re the new management: afaik Audeline (now GM, former resort manager) is already at Pulo since 2016?

What are the general thoughts over here regarding weather in July? Should it be ok? I will send Audeline an e-mail and ask about the forecast but I also would like to hear personal experiences from previous visitors?

And by the way: thanks for the recommendation regarding satays in the hills at Kila !
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:19 am

July is a huge gamble. I’ve done it twice, first time it was great and we got lucky, second time was a bit of a disaster weather wise! I much prefer ‘winter’ months.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:58 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Epicura
Thanks for your feedback. I am still trying to plan our upcoming summer travel and your post made me wonder if I should just take it the easy way (we already will be in China) and opt for Amanpulo instead of all kinds of complex itineraries.

Re the new management: afaik Audeline (now GM, former resort manager) is already at Pulo since 2016?

What are the general thoughts over here regarding weather in July? Should it be ok? I will send Audeline an e-mail and ask about the forecast but I also would like to hear personal experiences from previous visitors?

And by the way: thanks for the recommendation regarding satays in the hills at Kila !
We did mid July at Pulo and luckily, weather was perfect. It rained for about 2 hours our entire stay.
I've had good experiences with Audeline overseeing the property but have heard others with more mixed reviews.

Cheers!
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:48 pm

Anyone have any experience spending the December holidays at Amanpulo?

I've booked 8 nights there during Christmas, but worried the place might feel busy after reading callmedtop's review.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bosmaury
Anyone have any experience spending the December holidays at Amanpulo?

I've booked 8 nights there during Christmas, but worried the place might feel busy after reading callmedtop's review.
We have been several times. Apparently occupancy has been close to 100% on a couple occasions but we only knew because some manager told us. The island has a unique ability to feel deserted even when it isn’t. We would go to a turtle release event and wonder where everybody came from. I wouldn’t worry at all if I were you. Service never suffered either in my experience.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:11 pm

It has been quite a while since anyone has posted about a stay here! Just fishing for any updates on current conditions (surely someone from FT has been here in the last few months!) our trip is fast approaching (check in Feb 12).

I went ahead and emailed Pulo to book the sandbar picnic experience. The stunning strip of sand and solitude are very appealing. Any thoughts/tips from people that have done this activity? Also on a seperate day we have a few hours at the floating bar and I was able to secure 4-6pm time to watch the sunset They also seem to have a number of very interesting spa treatments/massages. The Amanpulo oil massage sounded really nice so I booked both the wife and I for that, but we are also looking at other treatments/massages to get on the day we depart. We have to prepare our bodies for the shock of flying from there all the way back to the US!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:14 pm

Another Pulo Q: are there any decent hotels in Manila to pair with Amanpulo? Options don’t look great. Am looking at booking for next October (I know, kind of ridiculous this far in advance) and looking for somewhere to stay with a three year old and 6 month old.

Shangri La at the fort? Doesn’t look like a high luxury option, but some of the amenities for kids look OK. The fact that we can get a straight through to Manila from MYC makes all the difference (not many straight through options for Amans...)

thank you!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Lebron2323
Another Pulo Q: are there any decent hotels in Manila to pair with Amanpulo? Options don’t look great. Am looking at booking for next October (I know, kind of ridiculous this far in advance) and looking for somewhere to stay with a three year old and 6 month old.

Shangri La at the fort? Doesn’t look like a high luxury option, but some of the amenities for kids look OK. The fact that we can get a straight through to Manila from MYC makes all the difference (not many straight through options for Amans...)

thank you!
We have stayed at the Shangri-La at the fort the last 2 or 3 times we have gone to Amanpulo. If you get a suite, it is decently luxurious. The food options on property are good, the pools are very nice, and the gym facility is the best in any hotel I have been to anywhere in the world (I find doing a cardio workout to be very helpful to adjust to a new time zone). Access from the airport is not bad, and Aman will pick you up there if you want. The only downside is that there really aren't any tourist attractions nearby that I am aware of.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

thank you!
Originally Posted by ridefar
We have stayed at the Shangri-La at the fort the last 2 or 3 times we have gone to Amanpulo. If you get a suite, it is decently luxurious. The food options on property are good, the pools are very nice, and the gym facility is the best in any hotel I have been to anywhere in the world (I find doing a cardio workout to be very helpful to adjust to a new time zone). Access from the airport is not bad, and Aman will pick you up there if you want. The only downside is that there really aren't any tourist attractions nearby that I am aware of.
1readyset2go , will answer your questions separately .

Was hoping to stay Pulo this month but looks increasingly slim .
Jet lagging .. which I need to rid .

Usually , stay Shangri-La Makati on a Club Floor . It is ok , especially if one has meetings nearby & like to enjoy some decent meals within the hotel & in the area . We stayed in SLA February this year but sadly did not have time to get to Pulo .. although there was some communications with staff .
Pulo usually picks us either from airport or hotel ( or sometimes company car ) , depends on schedule . Do note it has been a few years now as it was when the TIBBLEs were still there !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 2, 2019 at 7:48 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Fairmont Gold corner suite. Or in the attached Raffles Makati
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:11 pm

thank you!

This will be my first visit to MNL so i can't say anything yet about the options there except to say we will have a club level room at the GH and I will report back on that stay afterwards. We will be using Aman's car service to take us from their airport to the GH.

Also there look to be a number of good options for different spa treatments that I am having a hard time on deciding on what massage to get the day we leave. Does anyone have experience with either the "Nourishing Massage Ritual" the "Pag-asa massage", or the Dag Dagay Foot treatment? So many great sounding choices hard to pick one! Thanks!

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Dec 2, 2019 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
This will be my first visit to MNL so i can't say anything yet about the options there except to say we will have a club level room at the GH and I will report back on that stay afterwards. We will be using Aman's car service to take us from their airport to the GH.

Also there look to be a number of good options for different spa treatments that I am having a hard time on deciding on what massage to get the day we leave. Does anyone have experience with either the "Nourishing Massage Ritual" the "Pag-asa massage", or the Dag Dagay Foot treatment? So many great sounding choices hard to pick one! Thanks!
They have lovely spa with a view - very calming for us & will be for both you . Be sure to have one of Pulo team buggy you there & back
Decide when you are there ! We always decide on arrival & after that , depending on what our bodies need

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.