Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you simply discuss the upgrades you would want and see if they offer them.

also - basic >

unlimited >
Given the hotels are independently owned, how could this work?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

like every other program...

you (or travel agent) contact LHW and LHW negotiates with property.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Not sure why some of you are complaining. In my opinion, the new LHW benefits beat most other frequent guest programs out there:

* A guaranteed one-category room upgrade at time of booking
* Complimentary continental breakfast for two
* Free Internet access (where available)
* A unique welcome gift at each Leading Hotel
* Early check-in/late check-out considerations
* Special rate privileges
* Concierge services
* Complete five stays and receive a free night at any Leading Hotel

Most of these benefits I don't even get as an SPG Platinum, and for that I need 25 stays or 50 nights per year. At LHW I get all this for only $100 without any stay requirements (or free for existing members).

What other benefits do we get at other programs? Suite upgrades are a hit and miss. Lounge access is very nice at some hotels but non-existing or not worth it at lots of other hotels. Points we earn are usually worth less than 20% of points needed for a free stay at a top category hotel.

I'm seriously considering moving most of my stays to LHW hotels. All their hotels I stayed at so far were excellent and they have a good coverage. If they were to allow more than one free night per stay and were to give us the "unlimited" membership for say 25 stays or 50 nights per year, then I would most likely switch.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

frequent guest programs (primary benefit is points) dont really compare to travel agent (free) / membership (fee) based programs.

unlimited benefits are based on that fee.

unfortunately LHW properties do vary quite a bit. it is just a marketing alliance.

basic upgrades are not confirmed at booking. only unlimited can be. although the private sales sometimes mention confirmed upgrades. not sure how those compare to unlimited.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
basic upgrades are not confirmed at booking. only unlimited can be.
Check: http://www.lhw.com/members/About/RewardsAndBenefits

It says:
Here are the privileges you will enjoy as an Access member:

* A guaranteed one-category room upgrade at time of booking
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

theyve clarified nicely >

Access Membership (USD $100 per year)
• A one-category room upgrade *

Unlimited Membership (USD $1200 per year)
• Guaranteed one-category room upgrade at the time of booking. Be assured before you arrive that your room has been upgraded (Suites remain at the discretion of the hotel.)
which is in line with what i was told in december by what i consider a reasonable source at LHW

(clarified from previously stated access benefits, which were reported here as inaccurate)

i just got the free renewal email today.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 12, 2011 at 10:25 am
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DUflyer
Not sure why some of you are complaining.
Essentially because the entry level membership was never chargeable, though admittedly the new benefits to soften the blow. to LHW though for not being more transparent about withdrawing the free level.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
Essentially because the entry level membership was never chargeable, though admittedly the new benefits to soften the blow. to LHW though for not being more transparent about withdrawing the free level.
I totally agree, I have been member since the very beginning, had troubles throughout the years to have benefits, got always better rates directly from the hotels or travel agent, and I was never informed in advance of the new schemes with charges.... I will never accept this conditions, plus the entry level at 100 US$ DOES NOT guarantee upgrades as someone in this forum stated and if things do not change I really doubt you will ever get one!
On the whole I honestly feel the LHW really has lost its appeal throughout the years.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by racman
On the whole I honestly feel the LHW really has lost its appeal throughout the years.
I would tend to agree to a certain extent, but it is a good way to book some of the properties. Rates can be low, and internet and telephone bookings are easy. For some properties that are not Virtuoso or FHR, Leaders Club is the only way to make a booking with a documented upgrade benefit.

I will never accept this conditions, plus the entry level at 100 US$ DOES NOT guarantee upgrades as someone in this forum stated and if things do not change I really doubt you will ever get one!
I think that breakfast and free internet are a very good deal for just $100. I would not expect such an inexpensive membership to guarantee confirmed upgrades. IMO, $1200 for unlimited might actually be a good deal in some cases, depending on the kinds of confirmed upgrades one could get.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got the renewal for 100 or 1200 email. Probably won't renew for a fee - if I can't get the hotel through travel agent / AMEX Plat etc etc. then presumably there is no reason I can't 'join' at that point in time (given no LHW bookings until at least May).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by emma69
Got the renewal for 100 or 1200 email. Probably won't renew for a fee - if I can't get the hotel through travel agent / AMEX Plat etc etc. then presumably there is no reason I can't 'join' at that point in time (given no LHW bookings until at least May).
+1

I also did not receive the free 2011 offer - member since 2000, although my stays dwindled from maybe 5 to 10 per year in the first six years since '00, to one each in '09 and '10.

I might join at cost if an upcoming trip makes membership advantageous. One of the things that changed for me is that I once made use of concierges to obtain opera tickets - especially because many opera theaters had very Byzantine booking and ticketing procedures. Now, most are online and offer exact-seat selection, so my need for concierge services of this type has dwindled.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:17 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I too did not get the free 2011 offer. However, I don't feel as if I will need it -- most hotels I would stay at offer more amenities through other consortia. Nice while it lasted....
Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I also did not receive the free 2011 offer - member since 2000, although my stays dwindled from maybe 5 to 10 per year in the first six years since '00, to one each in '09 and '10.
That's one more than I did in 09 and 10 but I got free Access - I did book a stay in 09 and 10 but in both cases had to cancel it. It might be worth an email.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: You mean the cards at the bottom of my desk drawer? BAEC, FB, BA PP Amex, LHW...never any status...
I agree with Raffles - I think I only had two LHW stays in 2010, and got the 'upgrade' for this year not long ago.

As for whether I'd pay the $100 in future years - I'm not sure. I don't travel enough to have elite status with another of the big hotel chains and haven't yet found it worthwhile to get an Amex Plat, so don't have access to FHR. I've had great luck with upgrades and welcome gifts in LHW hotels in the past, so can imagine that I might just shell out the money come 2012.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I had no LHW stays last year and received the email without any comp offer. I think I'll pass until such time as I actually plan to book through LHW--I never had much consistency getting LHW benefits, I'm top tier with several chains, I have a great Virtuoso agent, and am an Amex Platinum cardholder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.