Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
My experiences so far using the basic (& free) Leaders Club membership;

1) Peninsula Hotel, Hong Kong (now left LHW) - a 4 room upgrade (yes really x 4!), very expensive welcome gift and really made to feel special.

2) Copacabana Palace, Rio - no room upgrade (was told it was full which I really didn't believe), and asked if my LC benefits were offered at this hotel to which the receptionist looked like I had just produced my library card. After contacting their guest services department - profuse apologies all round, welcome gift offered and complimentary access to their Club lounge.

3) Brown's Hotel, London - room upgrade, no welcome gift and no real acknowledgment of LC status (or lack of it!).

I too received the 'complimentary' extension although no new card with corrected expiration date has been received as yet. I have a LHW booking next month so i'll see what I can achieve and let you all know.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:48 pm

Personally I think they're all fancy photos and glossy brochures but no actual substance and certainly no follow through. We got emails from them for years saying we were invited to join LC and then we responded "yes" but never got a follow-up email after that.
And look what happened to their *great* project, Leading Residences of the World.

I think the standards of the LHW hotels are getting worse because many are opting out and they have to keep adding new ones. Sure they still have several prestige properties in major cities from the old days, but they also have lots of substandard ones now.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:16 am

I substantially agree wtih Michelin Girl.
I have to admit that throughout the years I was lucky to get some of the benefits, which is even better as I am a basica memeber (no fees).
Anyways I think it's true that many outstandin hotels and chains are withdorwing their participation in LHW: Ritz Carlton did some years ago as well as Four Seasons and all Oberoi Vilas properties this year (I wonder if they will continue with the other resorts!).

On the other hand LHW has always targeted mainly huge classic luxury hotels, not really my personala taste, in fact I was really happy when They louched Small Leading, which are more my target, eve though classy new boutique hotels and samll properties tent to better join SLH rather than LHW.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SLH some similar problems though, the site's reservation system doesn't pass on any information to the hotel..

I agree it seems a much more viable system in general, but they need to put the fees the member properties are paying to USE by getting a real central reservation and customer service system in place. As well as actual Club benefits.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:34 pm

Both the standards of LHW and SLH hotels are so erratic that I've realized that it's better to go with Four Seasons if I feel like staying in a big hotel, or Relais & Chateaux if I feel like staying in a small deluxe.

I can name a handful of LHW and SLH hotels worldwide, off the top of my head, which are just plain awful.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 4:00 am

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
Upgraded at the BKK Oriental to riverview split-level suite (on request at check-in). Was not offered 6pm check out although that was part of the Seasonal Choices rate I booked.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
"Dear Mr FIRSTclstraveller,

We are delighted to advise you that although your Leaders Club membership (Number XXXXXXX) was scheduled for its annual expiration in August 2006, we have decided to extend your membership through October 2006....we will send you an invitation to renew your membership in October 2006, along with details about the added benefits. In the meantime, please continue enjoying your benefits at our more than 440 Leading Hotels of the World as your current membership card will still be honored at our member hotels"

Has anybody received their new invitation yet? Its almost the middle of October!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:55 am

As is typical, their execution is very poor. No, I have not received or seen anything.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I stayed at the Sukhothai (BKK) in August. I booked the lowest category (Superior) room through LC that included breakfast.

We received a three category upgrade to an Executve Suite. The suite was very beautiful and spacious. The interior was contemporary Thai which was a nice change from the colonial Oriental and the Peninsula, which is a great hotel, when you are inside the hotel, you could be in almost any city.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:47 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Question A slow and sad end for LHW

Originally Posted by FIRSTclstraveller
[Has anybody received their new invitation yet? Its almost the middle of October!
No invitation either - got the same "extension letter" as you. Anyway who cares about LHW if the best properties are leaving the group and the reservation website is down most of the time....
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:18 am

Just stayed in a LHW property which was notified in advance that I was a LC member. Absolutely no recognition, benefits or perks whatsoever...
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:28 am

So all of us members received notification our membership was being extended to October. As October ends in one week, has anyone received any further information.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:59 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Just stayed at Villa Kennedy in Frankfurt which is part of LHW... made the reservation through LHW website with a weekend rate, which was lower than what was offered through the hotel website. Upon check-in was asked to produce LC card and was upgraded 2 categories without asking from a deluxe room to a junior suite. Granted the hotel was nearly completely empty on the weekend, it was a nice touch..

Also received some wine, cake and sausages as an amenity.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by speedbird001
So all of us members received notification our membership was being extended to October. As October ends in one week, has anyone received any further information.
I got an email asking me to renew as either basic or the two premium levels.

I refused to pay and stuck with the basic.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doh i seem to have forgotten about LC.

oh right, they say the "preffered rate with confirmed upgrade is not available"

i wonder if booking through Quintessentially, which includes LC, makes a difference in actually getting LC benefits. Quintessentially starts at $1500/yr

also BTW http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616505

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 24, 2006 at 10:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.