Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Toiletries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by senyorito_nes
I just came back from the Pen in Beijing and absolutely loved their Davi products. It's my favorite line so far. What do you guys think of it? I definitely like it more than L'Occitane and even Bulgari. I've never tried Molton Brown though so I have no basis for comparison.
I really liked the Davi products at the Pen HKG. Hadn't heard of them until then...

My preference though it the L'Occitance you get at FS. Love them, and try and smuggle a few extra home if I can!

At home I have Molton Brown and their fragrances are quite distinctive and heavy, but I like it! I used to really like their eucalyptus body wash, so invigorating, but can't get that any more. This is another favourite of mine...

Originally Posted by Pickles
The sense of smell is the most "primal" of the senses, hardwired directly into our memories. Smelling MB immediately puts me at the PHT in a jet-lagged haze. They switched to Aesop, which triggers a similar response.
My MIL has Molton Brown Naran Ji handwash and whenever I'm washing them it reminds of flying BA Club World a few years ago...
Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

I just returned from the Westin Sydney where I was pleasantly surprised to find that they have replaced their Westin branded toiletries with very large bottles of Penhaligon's Quercus line. A very high quality product with a subtle and refreshing scent. IMO it definitely rivals the various offerings by Bvlgari that seem to be popping up all over luxury hotels these days...
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Conrad Hong Kong exec.floor -- Elemis -- nice !

Conrad Chicago -- ACCA KAPPA -- nice !

The James, Chicago -- Kiehl's -- nice !

Langham Place Hong Kong exec. floor -- Bvlgari green tea -- rare find !

(now various people had reported it is Bvlgari, but when I arrived, I was told it is only for VIP guest ??? But when I insisted that I go there for Bvlgari, then they finally gave me two sets. ) Note: what they give out is actually what they sell for travel size for retail, unlike the Bvlgari you got from RC it is specfically made bottles from Guest Supply.

Anyone spotted any Bvlgari other than RC ? I would certainly go out of my way for Bvlgari, but RC is just outside of my price range.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:52 pm
In memoriam

I like Bulgari Green Tea. It was at the FS in New York last trip a couple of weeks ago - the FS in Paris last year - and at the MO in Munich a couple of years ago. With current crisis discounts in hotels - perhaps you can re-evaluate what you can afford. If you do go to a hotel which offers what you like - make friends with the concierge desk or similar. And ask for a few extras before you leave (if you're in the least bit charming - you may well get a "gift" when you leave). Note that I am not charming - only a 60+ year old broad who is very friendly and interested in people/places/languages. And no one has ever refused me a few bars of soap.

I bought some of the soap at Neiman Marcus maybe 3 years ago - but the soap at Neiman Marcis is a big round bar - basically too large for small hands like mine. I like the "hotel size" (smaller oval) better.

Apart from Bulgari Green Tea - another summer fragrance I like is the Sun Petals line from the Breakers in Palm Beach. You can buy it on line from the Breakers. The shampoo isn't any bargain at $28 for an 18 oz pump bottle - but the soap (which has some seaweed and is slightly exfoliating) is ($3 for a nice sized bar).

In the winter - I am Molton Brown all the way. The men's "cleanshine" hair wash - and the slightly exfoliating oatmeal and milk soap. They smell more like winter. The shampoo is readily available on line and elsewhere - but the soap had been discontinued except in hotels until recently. Now it is available on line - but only in those little round soaps - as opposed to a bar.

Anyway - I keep a running "search" on Ebay for the stuff I like which isn't readily available - like the Molton Brown soap in bars. Have never tried a search for Bulgari Green Tea (haven't run out of it)i. I've been able to pick up some stuff fairly cheap (there are factory outlet stores for Molton Brown in the UK - overstocks and the like - and shipping isn't terribly expensive from the UK to the US - something like $7 for a shipment if you're dealing with a seller who isn't trying to make a ton on the shipping). FWIW - if you do go on Ebay - stick with soap. There are a lot of fakes when it comes to shampoo (it's easy to fake) - but I haven't heard of any soap fakes as of today. Robyn
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by robyng
I like Bulgari Green Tea. It was at the FS in New York last trip a couple of weeks ago - the FS in Paris last year - and at the MO in Munich a couple of years ago.
I just wish all FS use Bvlgari like RC. Some FS use Loccitane, which is ok, I just felt it is still a notch down from Bvlgari, as Bvlgari still a first class product, but Loccitane more like for business class, as there are so many loccitane stores everywhere.

I've been able to pick up some stuff fairly cheap (there are factory outlet stores for Molton Brown in the UK - overstocks and the like - and shipping isn't terribly expensive from the UK to the US - something like $7 for a shipment if you're dealing with a seller who isn't trying to make a ton on the shipping). FWIW - if you do go on Ebay - stick with soap. There are a lot of fakes when it comes to shampoo (it's easy to fake) - but I haven't heard of any soap fakes as of today. Robyn
The times that I bought Molton Brown online actually shipped it from a US address, I really doubt they ship it from the UK, they probably have a US warehouse. When you signed up email for molton brown, they also have free shipping sometimes or with specific amount purchase. The problem is comparing US and UK sites, they ran a lot more promotion with the UK site, and of course you need to have a UK address. Other than that, if I need to go to NYC, I always take a stroll to the individual MB store. I think they only have 6 stores in the US, NYC already has three.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 12, 2009 at 2:54 am
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:13 am

Just returned from Peninsula HK. I like their Davi shampoo and shower gel. The bottle design is pretty neat - it doesn't spill if you accidentally knock it over or drop on the floor.

I also like the toiletries provided by aman resorts.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:54 am

I grew to love the Aesop products at PH Tokyo so much that I now use them every day and have them in large pump bottles in my bathroom. A lot of products in their skincare range are also very nice.

I love it when hotels have products by Annick Goutal. Most hotels use their Eau D`Hadrien scent- it is a classic. I remember it from the Crillon in Paris.

If I owned or managed a hotel I might consider trying to use Jo Malone products, another favorite of mine.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald
Ashford Castle, Co Mayo Ireland

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I just wish all FS use Bvlgari like RC. Some FS use Loccitane, which is ok, I just felt it is still a notch down from Bvlgari, as Bvlgari still a first class product, but Loccitane more like for business class, as there are so many loccitane stores everywhere.
And I prefer L Occitane.
When I get a suite at FS they already know I refer L Ocittane and they change products

Ashford Castle, Co Mayo, Ireland is Moulton Brown country.....

Last edited by Donk93953; Jun 12, 2009 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
How I long for and miss the Molton Brown shaving cream they used to give on BA in First and maybe Club World. It is available in the states, but more expensive than I can justify.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:22 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by mktozd
How I long for and miss the Molton Brown shaving cream they used to give on BA in First and maybe Club World. It is available in the states, but more expensive than I can justify.
Indulge yourself. It's one of life's small luxuries. Much cheaper and much more fun than paying for dental work. FWIW my husband likes any shaving cream in those tiny spray cans to pack when he travels (I think he picked up a lifetime supply in Japan - where they're a normal part of hotel toiletries).

Donk - Are you a guy or a girl? I really dislike the smell of L'Occitane - maybe because it smells too masculine to me.

ORDnHKG - The only Molton Brown stuff I buy on Ebay is stuff I can't buy from the Molton Brown website (like the rectangular milk and oatmeal soap). And when I buy from the web site - it is shipped from the US to me (I'm in the US). I've seen free shipping for orders as low as $30. Robyn
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:25 pm
In memoriam

P.S. A bit OT - but I've also bought the bathroom mirror you find in a lot of FS hotels (Brot) - and the bathrobe. I use both every day I'm home (and that's a lot of days). Perhaps the bed is next! Robyn
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
Just returned from Peninsula HK. I like their Davi shampoo and shower gel. The bottle design is pretty neat - it doesn't spill if you accidentally knock it over or drop on the floor.

I also like the toiletries provided by aman resorts.
I love the David stuff too, as I do the Acca Kappa (Alitalia handed out a very nice kit on our Rome-NYC flight). Also love Aesop and it's what I use on a daily basis.

But the Aman stuff is in a different league altogether - pure rose, no additions! I always bring a couple of plastic bottles and fill them up with the (huge) in room supply. Yes, I'm a cheapskate
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald
Donk - Are you a guy or a girl? I really dislike the smell of L'Occitane - maybe because it smells too masculine to me.
Last time I checked I'm a guy...6'2", 212lbs..and I have to hide my LOccitane from various girlfriends when they are visiting. They take all the little bottles/soaps I've taken from the Four Seasons!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indulge yourself. It's one of life's small luxuries. Much cheaper and much more fun than paying for dental work.
depends on the brand. im thinking of tiny hermes soap for $30. and im sure theres stuff thats priced like cosmetics. i was actually surprised acqua di parma didnt seem that expensive at NM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Fraser
At home I have Molton Brown and their fragrances are quite distinctive and heavy, but I like it! I used to really like their eucalyptus body wash, so invigorating, but can't get that any more.
The green stuff? I just bought a bottle of it at LHR, so you can still get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.