Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Toiletries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
We experienced the same at Club Level in Beijing, although we asked for Bvlgari and received it because we really didn't like the no-brand stuff.

I thought the RC CP had Frederick Fekkai...

Recently stayed at the Mandarin in Hong Kong and noticed that they have (at least) three brands - Hermes Orange Vert, Ferragammo and Acqua di Parma.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: urbanenomads.com
The Como Shambhala products at all Como/Uma resorts would get my vote.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:20 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I've started to see toiletries by Fresh and Korres. Love both of them.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:25 pm
thc

Originally Posted by Raffles
I was up at Gleneagles a couple of week ago and they had Asprey toiletries in the rooms (decent sized as well) which surprised me given the dire state of the accommodation in general (apart from the new wing, where I was, which is lovely and the new top floor signature suites which I got to have a peek at).

First time I've ever see Asprey in a hotel room. FS Hampshire used to have an Asprey boutique (now closed) but even then didn't use Asprey toiletries, whilst Gleneagles has a huge shopping arcade with a Dunhill store etc but no Asprey! Not that Asprey will be long for this world anyway if Hermes has its way!
Asprey toiletries can be found in Maybourne hotels. And I agree; Asprey is great!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:17 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thc
Asprey toiletries can be found in Maybourne hotels. And I agree; Asprey is great!
I just returned from a stay at the Elysian in Chicago (which I thought was good, not great), and they also provide Asprey toiletries. When I stayed at FS Hampshire, that's what they provided in the rooms as well--but perhaps that's changed.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:04 am

Aromatherapy Associates, very good products, which smell nice both from female and male perspective (I always found Asprey being too feminine and Aqua di Parma too masculine) and after using them you actually feel clean, even with shampoo.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: BA BD SA
When posters say "I like/hate so-and-so" do they really mean the whole brand? I'm really interested because there may be reasons for liking/disliking a brand as opposed to one particular fragrance.

Very often if you get l'Occitane in a room it will be with the Verveine fragrance, Bulgari the The Vert, Hermes the Orange Vert, Asprey the Purple Water etc. Now smell being such an intensely personal thing I can understand people reacting to the fragrance itself. I have something of an obsession with fragrance so I respond largely on what my nose receives - assuming the soap/lotion/whatever does a good job, of course. But I know vuittonsofstyle for one is very concerned about the contents.

What decides your opinion? And do you write off a brand if you dislike the fragrance that you found in a hotel room?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:27 am

For me the fragrance and the actual product (how do you feel after using it, how does your skin / hair feel) decides.
I do not write off a brand because of this, I do think Bvlgari, Hermes, L'occitane etc. are very good brands in certain products but not in all.
The branding is important for hotels in terms of image, many hotels choose to take Bvlgari toiletries because they think that this big brand name is going to give them the luxury feel etc. etc. But the brand does not fit with the rest of the hotel, design, food, room itself, staff, service etc.
I agree with vuittonsofstyle, contents is important, many natural products for me work much better than a "normal", because of the scent, feeling clean etc.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:48 am

Love Bvlgari Green Tea at the George V. I just stayed at the Ritz Carlton South Beach this weekend on the club level, and they had this awful generic stuff. Just had the Ritz-Carlton logo on it and its smell was not appealing to us! We were expecting the Bvlgari toiletries they had last time we stayed at a Ritz Carlton.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by tmr10001
I just stayed at the Ritz Carlton South Beach this weekend on the club level, and they had this awful generic stuff. Just had the Ritz-Carlton logo on it and its smell was not appealing to us! We were expecting the Bvlgari toiletries they had last time we stayed at a Ritz Carlton.
Was it that awful blue stuff? I suspect it might be the same as what they have at the Osaka property, which I refuse to use.

Since so few hotels get it right with toiletries, I always bring my own.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:59 pm
thc

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
When posters say "I like/hate so-and-so" do they really mean the whole brand? I'm really interested because there may be reasons for liking/disliking a brand as opposed to one particular fragrance.

Very often if you get l'Occitane in a room it will be with the Verveine fragrance, Bulgari the The Vert, Hermes the Orange Vert, Asprey the Purple Water etc. Now smell being such an intensely personal thing I can understand people reacting to the fragrance itself. I have something of an obsession with fragrance so I respond largely on what my nose receives - assuming the soap/lotion/whatever does a good job, of course. But I know vuittonsofstyle for one is very concerned about the contents.

What decides your opinion? And do you write off a brand if you dislike the fragrance that you found in a hotel room?
Usually I am already familiar with the brand, and I think better of the hotel if they have toiletries from a brand that I like.

One exception: I had not heard of Blaise Mautin before I stayed at Park Hyatt. And I wrote off the whole brand because I couldn't stand the smell of that stuff.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:46 am

For the first time in years, I actually used the hotel toiletries because they were all-natural Sodashi - shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion. How enlightened! Where? Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa. Problem was they were in beautiful wood-faced dispensers, so you can't take them home. Still, it made me happy....
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:07 pm

Hotel toiletries

The link above is hysterical! I recall a room out of service at FS because of a stolen toilet paper holder .

Love the lemongrass products at the Pelican Hill Resort (gilchrist and soames)
Jones Spa? products at Pebble Beach, Fresh at Bacara and Ohne at Rosewood.

Most if not all Rosewood hotels have switched over to the refillable dispensers. If you take these you'll be charged $25.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by thc
Usually I am already familiar with the brand, and I think better of the hotel if they have toiletries from a brand that I like.

One exception: I had not heard of Blaise Mautin before I stayed at Park Hyatt. And I wrote off the whole brand because I couldn't stand the smell of that stuff.
You'll be happy to know that Park Hyatt (at least in the US, and I think globally) has stopped using Blaise Mautin. Apparently, there were a lot of complaints about it/people didn't like it. I happened to really like the scent (at least for the "US version"), but I was apparently not in the majority.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:29 am

[QUOTE=MikeFromTokyo;15183163]Was it that awful blue stuff? I suspect it might be the same as what they have at the Osaka property, which I refuse to use.

I second what you said Mike, Stayed at RC Osaka twice. Once in Deluxe Corner Room..received that blue bottle RC logo stuff. Smelled like blah. Then next stay received top floor room...smaller bottle and I didn't bother to use their stuff that time. RC Osaka didn't impress me much with their toiletries!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.