Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
At the moment rates in Italian cities are going down. If it will be a pleasure to visit during the next months is another question. I hope the next weeks will show if a trip is a good idea.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:08 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
This is a good article about the various contries in Europe and projections for summer travel. Thank you, Forbes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarat.../#d755f41369e7
Another important factor to take into consideration, is your home country`s foreign ministry travel advice. At least where I live, as long as they still advice against all "unneccessary" travel to any country, my travel insurance is not valid abroad which is obviously a nightmare if I would fall ill or something else would happen. Also the government will not be be helping me in any way to get home etc. if I choose to travel against this policy. This means that I will be stuck here even if a country would allow me to visit.
KatW, Ericka and Epicura like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:28 am
Suspended

Best to forget visiting Europe as a tourist this year. Even though you might be allow in, the severe restrictions in place, the hassle and stress will not make it worth it.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We aren’t stepping foot on an airplane for at least six more months. In fact we might wait until 2021. We are both in a high-risk group because of our age, and I really can’t fathom sitting in a metal tube for 10 hours, even upfront, until there is a vaccine - or at least advances in treatment.

We’re planning road trips in and around Europe for the time being.
mkm4, Epicura and TSTraveler like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Another important factor to take into consideration, is your home country`s foreign ministry travel advice. At least where I live, as long as they still advice against all "unneccessary" travel to any country, my travel insurance is not valid abroad which is obviously a nightmare if I would fall ill or something else would happen. Also the government will not be be helping me in any way to get home etc. if I choose to travel against this policy. This means that I will be stuck here even if a country would allow me to visit.
Indeed! Norway is planning to be very strict about this until end of August with apparently some exceptions to be discussed:

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norway-...e-over-summer/

I also posted this in the where are you going thread a few days ago.

Norway seems to be first Schengen member to address this issue but I would not be surprised that many other Schengen/EU countries will adapt a similar policy. The EU Commission also encourages opening up of internal borders for countries in similar stage of the pandemic and where proper healthcare/hospitalization if needed can be guaranteed. If this will be the guideline for EU countries when it comes to travel advices, any kind of longhaul trip (even if that 3d country would reopen borders) will have very few chances to happen.
Musken likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
What would the experts here recommend for a getaway no more than three hours from NYC. I am thinking Mohonk Mountain House. The Point is a bit more than 5 hours so I think I have ruled that out.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I do like outdoors activities and spa, though who knows when spas will be open.
Old May 19, 2020, 1:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Mohonk doesn’t get much love around here but I LOVE it.
cruisr likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
What would the experts here recommend for a getaway no more than three hours from NYC. I am thinking Mohonk Mountain House. The Point is a bit more than 5 hours so I think I have ruled that out.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I do like outdoors activities and spa, though who knows when spas will be open.
The Sagamore in Bolton Landing on Lake George is opening up “First House” which used to be the Gate Keeper’s house. It has lovely views of the Lake unlike some of the condo units that are used for stays. First House will sleep ten and goes for $4500 per night. The Sagamore just opened and occupancy of the resort will stay at 50% for a while. Restaurants are still not open for dine in dining, although take out and room service are available. The town of Bolton Landing is small but is near by. Then there is the village of Lake George with all the t-shirt shops and miniature golf.
For a NYC area resident, Mohonk is closest, Mohonk has beautiful hiking trails. I thought the rooms were tired. It is a very very old resort. They did pour a lot of money in the spa/pool area. The spa is restful.
The Point has the best rooms yet is furthest away form the NY area.. I don’t think The Point had a spa. The Point has eclectic boats that can be taken out on the lake. I have not been back to The Point since ownership changed a few years ago. Looking at their website they seem to have maintained the same standards that they had when we visited.
Most of the rooms at The Sagamore don’t have great views (many rooms are in their condos), but the main building has awesome views. The spa has a small waiting room. Boat rentals and water sports are available to rent at The Sagamore.
NY has still not lifted spa restrictions, so spa treatments will still be a no go.
I haven’t been to Twin Farms, but several posters love it.
SanDiego1K and cruisr like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Greece announces the first 20 countries to be allowed to send tourists.....USA and UK nowhere to be seen.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/202...o-the-country/
Old May 21, 2020, 6:37 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by david55
Greece announces the first 20 countries to be allowed to send tourists.....USA and UK nowhere to be seen.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/202...o-the-country/
Australia is on the list, but our government has banned us from leaving. It's crazy that in 2020 if I went to the airport I would not actually be allowed to board the plane... Who'd have thought.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Iceland

I am planning on spending the summer holidays in Iceland. They have announced that they will be opening up on 15 June and offering free COVID-19 tests upon arrival if you do not have a recent test from your home country that they consider valid.

Last edited by Braniff; May 22, 2020 at 1:01 pm
Old May 25, 2020, 4:17 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We had to cancel Adare Manor and the Stafford.

We booked Lake Placid Lodge in it’s place (July). We anticipate the service will be spotty, but LPL is within driving distance, we can get a lakefront cabin and we can do all sorts of private guided activities like a Hackercraft boat tour, fishing, hiking with a naturalist, etc. We can get all meals room service too if that proves necessary.

Last edited by Ericka; May 25, 2020 at 8:35 am
Old May 26, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just returned from 4 nights at Amangiri. I will leave my thoughts on the hotel itself to the Aman forum where I just posted. I just wanted to add that in terms of overall travel again, after experiencing Amangiri, my wife and I would not hesitate at all to travel again to a high-end resort without an elevator. Throughout our stay we felt safe and the staff did a very good, and visible, job of cleaning. The resort also had enough space where we were never close to guests inside. When thinking about our potential future travels, a stay at a place like Amanjena would 100% feel comfortable and relaxing (if we are allowed in the country). Though I still cannot imagine travelling to a city like NYC, Chicago, etc.

One other random thought is that there were a decent number of guests who were in the "susceptible" demographic and we saw two separate 70-year birthday celebrations.
Ericka and BESVISOR like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:40 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I just returned from 4 nights at Amangiri. I will leave my thoughts on the hotel itself to the Aman forum where I just posted. I just wanted to add that in terms of overall travel again, after experiencing Amangiri, my wife and I would not hesitate at all to travel again to a high-end resort without an elevator. Throughout our stay we felt safe and the staff did a very good, and visible, job of cleaning. The resort also had enough space where we were never close to guests inside. When thinking about our potential future travels, a stay at a place like Amanjena would 100% feel comfortable and relaxing (if we are allowed in the country). Though I still cannot imagine travelling to a city like NYC, Chicago, etc.

One other random thought is that there were a decent number of guests who were in the "susceptible" demographic and we saw two separate 70-year birthday celebrations.
Fantastic to hear!!

Many of the top properties have been communicating all the procedures they are taking to ensure safety. But it's good hear that the outcome is actually good!
Old May 26, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Fantastic to hear!!

Many of the top properties have been communicating all the procedures they are taking to ensure safety. But it's good hear that the outcome is actually good!
Yes, you really do feel that they are focused. Every time someone left their pool lounges, towels were immediately replaced and the cushions were sprayed down. Same thing with tables / chairs at the restaurant.
Silverware is not laid out, but brought out ahead of the food.
BESVISOR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.