Reload this Page >

When We Can Travel Again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
It does not seem to be legal barriers if something is keeping us from traveling this summer. England, France, and Italy, with many incredible hotels, are open starting in June. I am planning on spending a substantial part of the summer in Italy, particularly because people will be scared away and I know that the citizens need tourists and that there will not be many tourists to overwhelm attractions.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since March, I've had to cancel 4 trips. I'm not even sure what countries will allow me to visit other than the USA (where I live). My really next major booking is Southern Africa in September and even though it is 4 months off, it's sounding less and less likely. Worse than that, the agent that I used to book it at Rhino Tours didn't answer my last email.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
It does not seem to be legal barriers if something is keeping us from traveling this summer. England, France, and Italy, with many incredible hotels, are open starting in June. I am planning on spending a substantial part of the summer in Italy, particularly because people will be scared away and I know that the citizens need tourists and that there will not be many tourists to overwhelm attractions.
I wish you all luck in getting to Italy. Having said that, hasn't the Italian government basically said that unless you are from the EU you won't be able to enter the country as a tourist until September or later? Schools are to be closed to September, Italians are still not allowed to leave their own province, can't visit anybody but close family (parents). If I thought it was remotely possible I would be there with you (in spirit!) as I can't imagine a better way to help than just by being a tourist and spending money in Italy. But I don't think it will be possible. And I think there is a very high probability that people from certain countries (I am looking at you, USA) will be barred for even longer unless the pandemic management policy there changes substantially. As somebody that was hoping to spend at least a month in Italy this year for both work and tourism, this is killing me.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Italy’s borders are open now. Hotels are opening in June. I booked tickets to the previously closed Last Supper in Milan for July.

Cruises, if you want to take them, will be sailing around the Mediterranean in early July.

Unless there is a legal restriction, it is up to the traveler to decide their own comfort level. Personally, as long as I am practicing social distancing, wearing a mask, and washing my hands constantly, I am comfortable traveling and happy to support the hard working locals.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ridefar
LOL. Try Canada. At least you have good beer to console yourself with.
Belgium has some good beer and even interesting cuisine that uses beer. There are separate cultures between Flanders and Wallonia (spelling?), an international city, seashore, historic towns, forests, castles, good food, culture,.....
Old May 7, 2020, 5:27 pm

Italy’s borders are open now. Hotels are opening in June. I booked tickets to the previously closed Last Supper in Milan for July.

Cruises, if you want to take them, will be sailing around the Mediterranean in early July.

Unless there is a legal restriction, it is up to the traveler to decide their own comfort level. Personally, as long as I am practicing social distancing, wearing a mask, and washing my hands constantly, I am comfortable traveling and happy to support the hard working locals.
I see. My mistake. It does appear you will have to self-isolate for 14 days at your hotel (which would not exactly be punishment at the right hotel!). And even after that travel could be restricted (depends on how quickly they lift restrictions). But you are right, you can go. It appears that the government will even subsidize you to do so in some cases: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...ng-to-tourists. Well, I feel happier already! Thanks Goodmorning2U!
Goodmorning2U likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Belgium has some good beer and even interesting cuisine that uses beer. There are separate cultures between Flanders and Wallonia (spelling?), an international city, seashore, historic towns, forests, castles, good food, culture,.....

You are doing a phenomenal job of selling me on it!

And since you have MSP in your name, let me just say: Manny's cheesecake. I miss travel.
Goodmorning2U likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

In 2019, I arranged a “family” reunion in Cornwall on Hudson for the third week of August 2020. I vacillate back and forth on whether this will happen. Just now I’m pessimistic. Also worrying about refund if it can’t happen. Substantial sum. There are 14 of us.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Cruise lines in very poor odor:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-...ew-11588346502

Hmmm, maybe this post manifests wishful thinking. In particular, cruising the Med is going to be super dicy with many of the usual suspects utterly out of the picture.If they have not already canceled summer voyages, they soon will. Most lines wait until closer to sailing to cancel so their refund burden is substantially less. Oceanea, Celebrity, Regent, Silversea, Windstar, Seaborn, etc. ad nauseum.

Last edited by KatW; May 7, 2020 at 10:34 pm
Old May 7, 2020, 10:47 pm

Cruises, if you want to take them, will be sailing around the Mediterranean in early July..
Seabourn and other cruise lines have suspended all cruise operations until November. You might get a few budget, mass-market lines sailing around but I doubt if the upscale, luxury lines will be sailing until deep into 2021. It's simply a matter of air travel restrictions, port closures and a morass of health regulations. Until a proven vaccine is delivered worldwide the international travel and hospitality industry is dead. Domestic travel or staycations is the best we can hope for.

Without the cruise ships, the Greek Islands, Dalmatia and Venice might be particularly pleasant this summer. If you can get there.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; May 7, 2020 at 11:51 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 12:22 am

I see. My mistake. It does appear you will have to self-isolate for 14 days at your hotel (which would not exactly be punishment at the right hotel!). And even after that travel could be restricted (depends on how quickly they lift restrictions). But you are right, you can go!
Unfortunately, this is currently not the case. Or were you just being sarcastic?

Here is the link to the relevant English page of the Italian Foreign Ministry:
https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministe...in-italia.html

Entry into Italy is only allowed for essential reasons (work, health reasons etc.). This is current as of May 6. Even travel inside Italy is heavily restricted. People are only allowed to leave their own region for the same essential reasons.

There is an expectation that these restrictions will be gradually lifted over the next few weeks/months, and regional governments in areas that strongly depend on tourism have been lobbying for this (such as the Government of Sicily, as explained in the article that you linked). However, it is at this stage unclear when this will happen and under what conditions.

In Europe more broadly, there is discussion about a co-ordinated approach where all EU member states would lift restrictions at the same time. However, there are also unilateral initiatives where certain countries consider lifting restrictions only for citizens from certain other countries where the pandemic is under control. For example, Austria would like open up for German tourists only.

Nobody knows at this stage. I find it quite courageous to say the least that hotels in Italy offer reservations for June. Personally, I am cautiously optimistic, but a lifting of restrictions at this point is by no means guaranteed. There is also a question whether you actually want to visit in a situation where museums, archeological sites, beaches etc. may still be closed.
FlyerEC, Pausanias and Epicura like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by kamel123
Unfortunately, this is currently not the case. Or were you just being sarcastic?

Here is the link to the relevant English page of the Italian Foreign Ministry:
https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministe...in-italia.html

Entry into Italy is only allowed for essential reasons (work, health reasons etc.). This is current as of May 6. Even travel inside Italy is heavily restricted. People are only allowed to leave their own region for the same essential reasons.

There is an expectation that these restrictions will be gradually lifted over the next few weeks/months, and regional governments in areas that strongly depend on tourism have been lobbying for this (such as the Government of Sicily, as explained in the article that you linked). However, it is at this stage unclear when this will happen and under what conditions.

In Europe more broadly, there is discussion about a co-ordinated approach where all EU member states would lift restrictions at the same time. However, there are also unilateral initiatives where certain countries consider lifting restrictions only for citizens from certain other countries where the pandemic is under control. For example, Austria would like open up for German tourists only.

Nobody knows at this stage. I find it quite courageous to say the least that hotels in Italy offer reservations for June. Personally, I am cautiously optimistic, but a lifting of restrictions at this point is by no means guaranteed. There is also a question whether you actually want to visit in a situation where museums, archeological sites, beaches etc. may still be closed.
Sorry I couldn’t get the page you linked to display in English when I was searching before I posted. If you read further up I was expressing surprise that one could travel to Italy. So it seems that until the rules change you won’t get entry for tourist reasons.

The other thought I have is that I won’t be surprised to see Americans barred from entry to the EU where others are not if the virus continues and the US opens up before it is under control.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:40 am

Absolutely, what you described in your earlier post sums up the situation precisely. And yes, I agree with you, we may see differentiated restrictions based on country of origin.

The net effect on hotels remains to be seen. While there will be less international/overseas guests, there may be more domestic travel at the same time as people are unable to leave their home country. This does not seem to bode well for high end places that mostly depend on international travelers (such as certain Four Seasons, Belmond etc.). I am surprised that many hotels still seem to pretend that nothing happened: Many websites do not mention the virus-related restrictions at all, August rack rates in the Mediterranean remain sky high as usual, some even insist on minimum stay requirements.

For people located in Europe, there may be a sweet spot for travel right after the lifting of restrictions, but before air travel has picked up again. An unique opportunity to experience certain sights without the crowds.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:28 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Until a proven vaccine is delivered worldwide the international travel and hospitality industry is dead. Domestic travel or staycations is the best we can hope for.
It’s depressing but also realistic, sadly. There is no light switch to turn everything back on and as we are still quite early in this, I can’t help but think that all these properties thinking they will open and have anything close to normal volumes in the next year or more are in for a big surprise..
Old May 8, 2020, 11:35 am

LOL. Try Canada. At least you have good beer to console yourself with.
While our beer is clearly inferior, i think i'd give us a slight edge in the outdoors...

I'm keeping my eye out for cancellations/deals in some of the high end properties in the summer/early fall if the border doesn't reopen. I'm not sure if many will just close altogether like Sonora did our if they have enough domestic clientele to keep going

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.