Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Agreed, international travel, in general, will take longer to bounce back and is likely to be a slow crawl more than a bounce. So many different nations will have so many different requirements and restrictions. Who knows how long mandated and monitored quaratines may be attached, either into and out of country.

Cruising will take even longer and will look different. Those mega-size passenger ships may not be in great demand whilst smaller ships may be more popular, thus more expensive to book.

In terms of travel, the only likely option in the U.S. in the relatively near term (say, mid fall) is domestic road-tripping to not-so-very distant locales.

Maybe jet charters will boom.

One variable to factor is the clear desire in D.C. to “save” the economy which, in theory, could give modest travel (especially road travel) some leeway. The downside being instigating a second wave of infection, not only through travel but through return to work for many, and a return to retail (in person). Or, say some sports events which are being considered for a November restart.

Why, yes, I think about this a lot.

Last edited by KatW; Apr 12, 2020 at 6:37 pm
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I'm still holding onto my reservation for Sonora Resort for end of July, but unfortunately I might need to move that to next year, there's just so many unknown factor till there's a proven vaccine.
I saw that they extended the stay at home order till May in California, don't even know if that order will continue extending
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:55 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Venues close to home likely will be most accessible whenever “reopening” takes place in one’s region. For me, that’s the San Francisco Bay Area. Which means I may return to places I swore never to visit again. Cases in point, Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur and Calistoga Ranch in Napa. Maybe even Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay at which I’ve not stayed, put off by the corporate feel, lack of amenities, and, frankly, lack of interest.

Will others be motivated to patronize venues previously eschewed?

Last edited by KatW; Apr 26, 2020 at 6:53 pm
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KatW
Venues close to home likely will be most accessible whenever “reopening” takes place in one’s region. For me, that’s the San Francisco Bay Area. Which means I may return to places I swore never to visit again. Cases in point, Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur and Calistoga Ranch in Napa. Maybe even Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay at which I’ve not stayed, put off by the corporate feel, lack of amenities, and, frankly, lack of interest.

I might end up with a staycation for a milestone birthday this year. Not that I eschew any local luxury hotels, it’s just kinda boring. I’d much rather spend it somewhere I can’t go anytime I feel like it
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United747
I might end up with a staycation for a milestone birthday this year. Not that I eschew any local luxury hotels, it’s just kinda boring. I’d much rather spend it somewhere I can’t go anytime I feel like it
Exactly. Not to say — bingo ditto.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by SojournsOf
Australian government is telling us that it is highly likely we won't be travelling internationally until 2021. We have interstate travel bans in Australia too - Qantas group is flying 3 aircraft domestically (instead of ~200), and Virgin Australia is flying one route, once daily (SYD-MEL). They're saying even domestic travel out of our states will take time to be allowed too... So hard to believe this is reality really.

So Paris/TLV in Sep/Oct is probably increasingly unlikely despite me staying positive we can go. Vienna/Lech for Christmas/New Year sounds at risk now too...
I just heard that Australia will not open its borders for at least 6 months and even then, it will probably only open to NZ.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
From what I read in the Greek press, there "may" be an opening of Greek hotels in two phases in late July - first the hotels that are open year round and a few weeks later the hotels that are seasonal. Also from what I read, again taking everything here with a mega-pinch of salt, initially international visitors from the Balkans and some surrounding countries will be allowed to enter the country. It is unclear whether residents of France, UK, US will be allowed in (and even if we are, it is unclear when flights will resume and whether there will be quarantine requirements).

This was a big year for my partner and I - 10 year anniversary since we met and both have milestone birthdays and consequently we had a number of celebratory "special" trips planned (and booked). Half are cancelled and the other half in limbo. I am fine with everything being cancelled but I cannot fathom the thought of spending the entire summer in London (notwithstanding that we have had nice weather the past couple of weeks).
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:07 pm
Community Director Emerita

We are currently booked to see grizzlies at Khutzy outside Prince Rupert, British Columbia, in early July. I just received the following note:

We have been anxiously waiting for government restrictions to ease, but it seems there is a high chance travel restrictions will remain in place during your tour.

I wrote to the place we are to stay before asking about the anticipated situation this summer. Her response:

We are all taking it day by day, week by week. I know the border closure for non-essential travel with the US has been extended until the end of May. There is more enthusiasm on your side of the border to reopen than ours. Comparatively, Canada is doing quite well with COVID and most Canadians are following the guidelines clearly laid out by our provincial and federal health authorities. Two provinces are discussing small changes to open up a bit. BC has yet to make an announcement and for sure nothing before mid-May. Dr Bonnie, our provincial health officer, has been adopted by everyone as their second mother and we are paying attention.

We are currently closed until mid-June but I feel like we will open up for our summer visitors with some procedural changes like no contact check-ins etc. Most of our guests travel domestically and drive here. This is not the case for most international travellers.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KatW

I have a current reservation at Amangiri for end of May. The resort previously did not interest me much at all, especially at the rates they historically charged for holiday weekends. But end of May is the last time we can travel until probably Thanksgiving, so if it is open, we are going.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:54 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I just heard that Australia will not open its borders for at least 6 months and even then, it will probably only open to NZ.
Yes this is correct. Hopeful for some nearby South Pacific too (e.g. Fiji).
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by SojournsOf
Yes this is correct. Hopeful for some nearby South Pacific too (e.g. Fiji).

Well , visit to Tassie - octogenarian aunt & Saffire - will have to wait then , along with Pumphouse . Hopefully , can get to Huka Lodge this year along with some others in NZ . Stay had to be aborted April / May .
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:25 am

It is looking more and more likely that hotels will reopen before airlines start flying again. Norwegian just announced that it will keep the majority of its flights grounded until spring 2021. This means that if and when travel resumes in the next couple of months, we will be restricted to staycations.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:04 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is looking more and more likely that hotels will reopen before airlines start flying again. Norwegian just announced that it will keep the majority of its flights grounded until spring 2021. This means that if and when travel resumes in the next couple of months, we will be restricted to staycations.
So far, Norwegian is a special case. Their plan is a desperation effort to get lenders to give them an unprecedented deal instead of the airline declaring bankruptcy. There is no indication that what they do will govern other carriers.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So far, Norwegian is a special case. Their plan is a desperation effort to get lenders to give them an unprecedented deal instead of the airline declaring bankruptcy. There is no indication that what they do will govern other carriers.
As I recall, they were in deep trouble before Covid. They had pursued a budget strategy like Ryan Air, but it wasn't working for them. If mods permit and it is not too far off topic: https://simpleflying.com/norwegian-2019-survive/. I cited the older article on purpose to show their troubles well predate Covid. But yes there is a real question here for those of us used to / addicted to global travel about what airlines are going to be flying, and at what prices.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Really missing the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong and Tokyo. Not looking for anything super fancy, just some time in either place will make me very happy.
MSPeconomist and United747 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.