When We Can Travel Again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We are currently booked to see grizzlies at Khutzy outside Prince Rupert, British Columbia, in early July. I just received the following note:

We have been anxiously waiting for government restrictions to ease, but it seems there is a high chance travel restrictions will remain in place during your tour.

I wrote to the place we are to stay before asking about the anticipated situation this summer. Her response:

We are all taking it day by day, week by week. I know the border closure for non-essential travel with the US has been extended until the end of May. There is more enthusiasm on your side of the border to reopen than ours. Comparatively, Canada is doing quite well with COVID and most Canadians are following the guidelines clearly laid out by our provincial and federal health authorities. Two provinces are discussing small changes to open up a bit. BC has yet to make an announcement and for sure nothing before mid-May. Dr Bonnie, our provincial health officer, has been adopted by everyone as their second mother and we are paying attention.

We are currently closed until mid-June but I feel like we will open up for our summer visitors with some procedural changes like no contact check-ins etc. Most of our guests travel domestically and drive here. This is not the case for most international travellers.
Love this letter. Our province has literally begun to idolize our public health department (she has a shoe design named after her which has sold out). She has done a better job than many but politically it makes it challenging for the political leadership to push back at all when balancing economic implications vs infectious risks so we are being quite cautious at the moment. I anticipate domestic travel opening up in July so fingers crossed for you. The big question for you will be the Can/US border. I think it should be opened up by then but thinking we're better than Americans is a national pastime in Canada so their will be a lot of political risk to not open it.

I snagged a cancellation spot at Nimmo Bay in early July; its a bit $ for my budget but since nothing else really going on travel wise in next few months figured it would be worth it. They said they can operate with fairly stringent social distancing policies (ie room service, private outings). Still need a flight from Vancouver to Port Hardy but worse case scenario we can drive + ferry.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Norwegian won't be flying because it was already close to death before COVID. Marginal carriers may expire, but I would expect the major legacy carriers to continue in some form, albeit with reduced capacity and higher prices to consumers.

I am more pessimistic about carriage trade properties - and I personally doubt that some of them (yes, even Amans) will make it through to 2021 unless their owners are flush with cash.
MSPeconomist and ridefar like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by grumbler
Norwegian won't be flying because it was already close to death before COVID. Marginal carriers may expire, but I would expect the major legacy carriers to continue in some form, albeit with reduced capacity and higher prices to consumers.

I am more pessimistic about carriage trade properties - and I personally doubt that some of them (yes, even Amans) will make it through to 2021 unless their owners are flush with cash.
I have to agree with you here... I wonder what % of the hotels in the Maldives (just to pick a for instance) will survive? How about Bali? Or Thailand? How many new-ish places can survive without sufficient revenue to service their debt?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by ridefar
I have to agree with you here... I wonder what % of the hotels in the Maldives (just to pick a for instance) will survive? How about Bali? Or Thailand? How many new-ish places can survive without sufficient revenue to service their debt?
Luxury properties that rely on international guests for most of their revenues are at highest risk - because they are most vulnerable to the various travel restrictions - so agree about those Maldives properties. Those which can rely on strong local clientele (assuming those folks still have money to spend - and that is not entirely clear either) might be better off - so places in PRC, Japan and the US may not be as drastically exposed. But who knows ?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ridefar
It seems hard for them to survive. But even with a bankruptcy it doesn't mean they will disappear. Most likely the properties will be sold and re-opened. If there will be substantial changes regarding service etc is another question.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:51 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I guess all/most of us will have to make plans for holidays in their own country. Why does it feel so BORING when "everyone" else wants to come here (to Norway)? I guess the answer (for me) is that holidays for me is warm climate and to see and experience something new; nature, culture, food, religion all the things we do not have at home. I like beaches and much as big cities - but I cannot those here (OK, there are some beautiful beaches up north, but a beach and 14 degrees celcius is not what I mean) . I love to plan holidays to other countries, but cannot manage to motivate myself to plan something in my country. I want to swap country with some of you!!
Old May 5, 2020, 11:01 am
Community Director Emerita

Musken, I totally agree with what you say. As we see trips fall like dominoes thru 2020, I am looking closer to home. I live in San Diego. You'd think I'd be excited by nearby opportunities. But....

Anyway, for you, have you considered Juvet Landscape in Norway? We had a magical summer stay, nestled in the trees looking out at the water and beautiful landscape. It would be quite severe in the winter. The rooms are each independent structures. You have to walk to the main building for your meals. I have the hotel on my insta feed and was really taken with the beauty of winter there.

https://www.instagram.com/juvetlandscapehotel/
Musken likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
Why does it feel so BORING when "everyone" else wants to come here (to Norway)?
Lofoten Islands - one of the most amazing places I've ever seen.
FlyerEC, Musken and Epicura like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:43 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I guess all/most of us will have to make plans for holidays in their own country. Why does it feel so BORING when "everyone" else wants to come here (to Norway)? I guess the answer (for me) is that holidays for me is warm climate and to see and experience something new; nature, culture, food, religion all the things we do not have at home. I like beaches and much as big cities - but I cannot those here (OK, there are some beautiful beaches up north, but a beach and 14 degrees celcius is not what I mean) . I love to plan holidays to other countries, but cannot manage to motivate myself to plan something in my country. I want to swap country with some of you!!
I can certainly understand this. At least I live in a large country with different climates and landscapes. If our London/Ireland itinerary falls through there are lots of places within my own country that I’ve always wanted to see. Of course we may be recommended to stay in our region....who knows.
Musken likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:53 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Lofoten Islands - one of the most amazing places I've ever seen.
Norway is huge. From where I live, it would take only 7 hours more to drive to Rome compared to driving to Lofoten. Agree that it is beautiful there, but climate.... And the fact that many things I would want to do there might not be operating as normal. I know I sound negative. Sorry about that. It is definitely an option to consider for the summer, at least if planes will be operating "normally".
Old May 5, 2020, 2:58 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Musken, I totally agree with what you say. As we see trips fall like dominoes thru 2020, I am looking closer to home. I live in San Diego. You'd think I'd be excited by nearby opportunities. But....

Anyway, for you, have you considered Juvet Landscape in Norway? We had a magical summer stay, nestled in the trees looking out at the water and beautiful landscape. It would be quite severe in the winter. The rooms are each independent structures. You have to walk to the main building for your meals. I have the hotel on my insta feed and was really taken with the beauty of winter there.

https://www.instagram.com/juvetlandscapehotel/
San Diego sounds like a dream!!! :-D

I am following Juvet now as well, thanks for the tip. Does look beautiful indeed even if I have seen landscapes like that quite a lot (and hate snow - hahahaha) so it is "normal" for me. Only 1/3 of the driving distance compared to Lofoten as well. So maybe we will look into that.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:01 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
I can certainly understand this. At least I live in a large country with different climates and landscapes. If our London/Ireland itinerary falls through there are lots of places within my own country that I’ve always wanted to see. Of course we may be recommended to stay in our region....who knows.
Norway is huge as well, but driving take ages which means that we might need to concentrate on our own region as well. Depends on how domestic flights will be. Also the climate is definitely best around where I live and I really cannot imagine going to a colder place during summer. But might have to reconsider that. Just need to shake myself a bit and move on..
Old May 6, 2020, 12:53 pm

Like I already posted: imagine Belgium for travel

I might be in the worst position here when it comes to domestic travel and rather stay home in that case.

For all the EU folks: let’s wait for a few weeks as member states actually are in favor of limited travel within Europe for EU citizens and are working on a plan. We should know more by mid May (EU communication) or early June (per President Macron).
Old May 6, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Epicura
Like I already posted: imagine Belgium for travel

I might be in the worst position here when it comes to domestic travel and rather stay home in that case.

For all the EU folks: let’s wait for a few weeks as member states actually are in favor of limited travel within Europe for EU citizens and are working on a plan. We should know more by mid May (EU communication) or early June (per President Macron).
LOL. Try Canada. At least you have good beer to console yourself with.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
I completely understand that.

Facebook is reminding me that exactly a year ago we spent the May bank holiday (for the first time) in the UK. Opting for domestic travel we visited Yorkshire (not really a luxury trip). Although it was a nice and interesting trip and I rather enjoyed it, at the end of it I still felt I’d have much rather gone somewhere warmer abroad.

I hate to admit it but the idea that I won’t be able to get near the Mediterranean this summer is somewhat depressing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.