Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

When We Can Travel Again

It’s likely that, when it’s safe to travel again, airline / luxe accommodations / tourist services will come back online incrementally followed by a burst of availability. In that incremental period, it may be difficult and (more) expensive to score bookings. My greatest fear is that the smaller luxury venues could be very delayed, just hope they all survive. Nevertheless, here are my travel plans for when the world reopens:

Tweedsmuir, Great Bear Rainforest, BC, Canada
La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Gravetye Manor, Sussex, England
Las Alamandas, Costalegre, Mexico
Belmond barge Belgium and France
Le Bristol, Paris, France
Twin Farms, Vermont, USA

And, you? What’s top of mind?

Last edited by KatW; Apr 5, 2020 at 9:56 pm
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:15 pm

I’ve been looking into Tweedsmuir but the 50% non-refundable deposit policy gives me pause
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I understand how that may raise qualms. Yet when you consider how small and unique is this venue, it makes sense, to me at least.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
For me, it would be the following (no particular order):

Amankora - loved Bhutan in December 2019 and itching to go back asap
Aman Tokyo - Miss Japan everything
Park Hyatt Kyoto - same as above
Ritz Paris - Miss France everything

Hope everyone stays healthy and safe.
SojournsOf and BESVISOR like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KatW
I understand how that may raise qualms. Yet when you consider how small and unique is this venue, it makes sense, to me at least.
It may make sense for them. Or it may not as people don't want to make a booking that they can't get out of if border restrictions aren't lifted, etc. I won't. Personally I am not making any bookings until 2021 (not saying we won't travel, but it will be ad hoc later in the year if possible) and I won't make any bookings that aren't fully refundable until there is a lot more clarity on the future of border policies, global air travel access, necessity for self quarantine after travel, and so on. If a hotel can't accommodate that, I don't see any need to visit -- I can pick one that will. The problem is not finding enough hotels to choose from, it is finding the time and money to visit them all!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by reigndrop
For me, it would be the following (no particular order):

Amankora - loved Bhutan in December 2019 and itching to go back asap
Aman Tokyo - Miss Japan everything
Park Hyatt Kyoto - same as above
Ritz Paris - Miss France everything

Hope everyone stays healthy and safe.
The first place I am going after all this is over is a week at the Ritz Paris.
SojournsOf and Isochronous like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:18 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Regardless when it will be 100% safe to travel again, just soon as bans are lifted, I'm heading out...
(edit: joking above about traveling ASAP as I'm in the U.S. and we still have states not mandating lockdown so I'm not sure we'll ever get to 100% safe. lol).

Moving targets at this point but still planned for June/July:

Cheval Blanc Randheli
Velaa Private Island
Gili. L.
Maybe Joali

Fall - TBD:
Hopefully Japan in the fall for my annual visit.
Aman NYC
Amangiri

Winter - TBD:
But also thinking of Amankora

Last edited by BESVISOR; Apr 7, 2020 at 8:04 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Before the virus i'd made bookings though Sept. '20. I have had to cancel everything through May. Hoping to pick up with the bookings I have for June and go from there.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:14 pm

It’s the million dollar question. I think international will be a log time before it gets back if ever.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerAus
It’s the million dollar question. I think international will be a log time before it gets back if ever.
Until a proven vaccine is developed and delivered I can't see the travel and tourism industry working at all. Development of a vaccine seems at least a year away and delivery among the wider global population probably another year. The bankruptcies of airlines, hotels, restaurants, cruise lines, travel agencies, hotel consortia and all the ancillliary support sectors will be enormous.

The only winner here is the ecology of the planet itself.
SojournsOf and mkm4 like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Apr 7, 2020 at 12:48 am
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:23 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Until a proven vaccine is developed and delivered I can't see the travel and tourism industry working at all. Development of a vaccine seems at least a year away and delivery among the wider global population probably another year. The bankruptcies of airlines, hotels, restaurants, cruise lines, travel agencies, hotel consortia and all the ancillliary support sectors will be enormous.

The only winner here is the ecology of the planet itself.
The way the Australian government is talking, I unfortunately tend to agree. Today they're saying that restrictions and social distancing measures must remain in place until a vaccine.

At the moment, I've still got some bookings in place for Europe in July (but assume these will have to cancel). Hopefully Paris/TLV in Oct can go ahead, as with Salzburg/Vienna/Lech for Xmas & New Year. My India itinerary I will rebook for April 2021, but perhaps will just wait until its more clear ... is going on...
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:39 am

It will be interesting what happens with various non-refundable deposit policies once there is a partial re-opening, as it seems very likely we will see occasional quarantines/restrictions/etc over the next year or two until a vaccine comes out.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by tubulus
It will be interesting what happens with various non-refundable deposit policies once there is a partial re-opening, as it seems very likely we will see occasional quarantines/restrictions/etc over the next year or two until a vaccine comes out.
Indeed an interesting question. At the moment no one gan say. Also I'm afraid that some hotels will simply not be able to pay back the deposits. If the current situation continues (even with partial openings) I guess we will see many bankruptcies. Another problem is that many people will not be able or ready to spend high sums for hotels.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:54 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

At least four labs, just in the U.S., are working on antibody tests, two have perfected such a test. So, that could ease the situation somewhat. I have a Panama Canal cruise booked on Windstar in January. because it’s a small cruise line, it may not be in business by then. And, of course, maybe there will be no cruising anywhere on any line by then.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

First: My local plant nursery to replenish the garden beds.
Second: My mom's house in Cleveland....but we are flying private so this trip may actually happen sooner than later
Third: The Minos Beach Hotel, Crete ( next April)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.