Wiki Posts
Search

When We Can Travel Again

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I started traveling again June 1st. I'm at the Willard in Washington DC in one of their beautiful named suites. Cafe du Parc is open now as are many of the good restaurants in DC. I went to Morton's and had an excellent dinner.

I'm heading to France next week. Looking forward to it.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking
Dining at the Four Seasons is somewhat limited, but every other restaurant in the area is open. We have been eating outside exclusively just to be safe. I think the main restaurant at the hotel is about to open. Amangani is only serving their own guests.
Thank you. We enjoy outdoor dining so that isn't a hardship for us.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:24 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Still in Hong Kong at the moment (there are flights out and some destinations have started taking travellers, but limited - but returning for now means still having to do a 14-day quarantine which despite working from home, I'm not keen on just being stuck at home).

Done a couple of staycations - Upper House (x2), Mandarin Oriental are both done. Rosewood (finally!) coming up soon. And a couple of other boutique/lesser known hotels that I enjoy.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Just booked a 2-night stay at Aman Venice this coming weekend.
Surprisingly enough plane tickets from Paris are super expensive and availability is limited. After 3-4 months without traveling it seems everybody is willing to fly 😋
I also booked tickets to Houston / Miami early September I hope the US/Europe travel ban will be lifted by then.
We had a brilliant stay at Aman Venice. The city was almost deserted with only few Italians visiting the city.
Weather was great so we had all meals in the garden which was the preferred option for F&B because of sanitary situation. Even the spa was opened which surprised me.
Most restaurants were open and we received a warm welcome everywhere we went.
Going up the Campanile took a long time as they allow 4 people only in the lift, and audio guides were not available at the Doge Palace. All the rest was operating in a normal way.
I guess I will never have the opportunity again to visit the city with such few people.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I guess I will never have the opportunity again to visit the city with such few people.
I imagine major cities like Paris or Amsterdam with a large local population might be great now... enough people to feel like a city, but not overrun with tour buses, etc. In a totally touristic city like Venice is it possible to have too few visitors? I mean was it just weird?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by schriste
I imagine major cities like Paris or Amsterdam with a large local population might be great now... enough people to feel like a city, but not overrun with tour buses, etc. In a totally touristic city like Venice is it possible to have too few visitors? I mean was it just weird?
I know this year is abnormal - but in normal years we like to go to places like Rome and Venice in January/February. Great rates, hardly any tourists, a bit of a gamble with the weather.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by schriste
In a totally touristic city like Venice is it possible to have too few visitors? I mean was it just weird?
it was not; just very quiet in a positive way.
Limited traffic on the Grand Canal means no noise and a relaxed atmosphere.
Surprisingly enough the only crowded restaurant we had lunch at was Locanda Cipriani in Torcello with large tables of Italian families.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it was not; just very quiet in a positive way.
Limited traffic on the Grand Canal means no noise and a relaxed atmosphere.
Surprisingly enough the only crowded restaurant we had lunch at was Locanda Cipriani in Torcello with large tables of Italian families.
Thank you for the wonderful report. I am very tempted to pop over for a few days this summer. It's been years since I've stayed at Danieli and I think with the lack of overseas tourists it must be wonderful. Torcello was a great idea that I will have to copy!
Pierre&Cédric likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:38 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Pains me read stories of you starting to travel! Our Prime Minister here in Australia is saying we might be able to travel to New Zealand before July 2021, but not to expect anywhere else until possibly late-2021. It just amazes me that if I went to the airport tomorrow I would be denied boarding by my government...
dylanc likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
That's what I got for an upcoming stay:What you need to know once in the hotel:

MAIN LOBBY & COMMON AREAS:

× A new directional and security signage has been created to guarantee your safety and comfort

× All our Collaborators are provided with protective equipment and disinfection stations located at strategic locations to maximize hygiene

RECEPTION:

× Protective screens are installed at the front desk counter

× Key cards and pens are sanitized priori to your arrival and following your departure

× Digitalization helps us to simplify some processes and reduce unnecessary interactions, as an example we will be delivering your invoices via email

PARKING:

× Valet Service is temporarily suspended

× We guarantee for you a parking space at our Garage at 26€ per night. Please stop your car in front of the Hotel upon your arrival to be advised regarding the new procedures

BREAKFAST & ROOM-SERVICE:

× Buffet Breakfast is not available. Breakfast will be served at our Blue Lounge Restaurant, Continental style with an à la carte choice (from 7AM to 10.30AM)

× Room Service is not available

RESTAURANT & BAR:

× Restaurant and Bar services are temporarily suspended

GYM AND WELLNESS CENTER:

× Gym and Wellness Center services are temporarily suspended

YOUR ROOM, YOUR TEMPLE:

× Our cleaning team will be constantly wearing personal protective equipment as well as carefully follow the strictest cleaning and disinfection standards when preparing and refreshing your room.

× As part of our Melia4thePlanet program, you may choose not to have your room daily cleaning services helping us in favor of the environment, more information will be provided at Reception

× Minibar products will be momentarily available at Reception Desk

× Bathroom complements and amenities will be adequately reduced to minimum and offered upon request should you required so at Reception Desk

Many of this sounds not logical to me, seems more they cut costs.Don't have high expectations for the stay.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
I think it looks ok and matches my experiences this month.

No mini-bar and no extra bathroom amenities, but you can call down for these items and they will be brought to you. I did exactly that at my recent stay.

No breakfast buffet, but that is happening everywhere for what should be obvious reasons. You can still order all you want.

No parking valet, I think most people do not want a stranger in their personal car now.

No bar, restaurant and gym might be a local government restriction? Otherwise, that would seem strange.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thank you for posting this. I have no idea which hotel sent you that but I daresay it's typical. An excellent summary of why I shall not be going anywhere right now. By suspending so many essential services I assume this hotel has halved its regular rates. However, I think some hotels are compensating themselves for halving occupancy by doubling room rates.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jun 30, 2020 at 11:19 pm
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The Four Seasons Florence was just delightful, safe, and such a warm welcome. Everything was constantly being cleaned and everyone was being appropriate about distancing and wearing face masks. The spa was open and the therapists were using face-masks and shields. If you wanted they would wear gloves. The treatments were excellent. The gym was open and essentially private. Bookable in two hour segments. The garden terrace and lobby and pool restaurants were all open and the food was out of this world.

Likewise, the Four Seasons Geneva, the Mandarin Oriental Lake Como and Park Hotel Vitznau are completely open, with all services running.

Park Hotel Vitznau was “busy” for them, which still meant it felt very comfortable and even private at times.

The Four Seasons Geneva was in full swing and I keep wondering why it has taken me so long to stay here.

The Mandarin Oriental Lake Como is an excellent choice on the lake. It would be hard for me to imagine a substantially better property. Headed today by boat to visit another property. If you are considering visiting Lake Como, do look at the Mandarin, they have spared no expense on training the team, the renovation, and the amenities.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Thank you for posting this. I have no idea which hotel sent you that but I daresay it's typical. An excellent summary of why I shall not be going anywhere right now. By suspending so many essential services I assume this hotel has halved its regular rates. However, I think some hotels are compensating themselves for halving occupancy by doubling room rates.
It´s the Melia Genova. I can live without valet parking etc. but for excample the closure of the only restaurant is strange. Also why no room service but a la carte breakfast. For my room service sounds much safer. Of course other restaurants in the city are open. Same with other hotels I will also stay. Other hotels have their pools open.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:58 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Musken, I totally agree with what you say. As we see trips fall like dominoes thru 2020, I am looking closer to home. I live in San Diego. You'd think I'd be excited by nearby opportunities. But....

Anyway, for you, have you considered Juvet Landscape in Norway? We had a magical summer stay, nestled in the trees looking out at the water and beautiful landscape. It would be quite severe in the winter. The rooms are each independent structures. You have to walk to the main building for your meals. I have the hotel on my insta feed and was really taken with the beauty of winter there.

https://www.instagram.com/juvetlandscapehotel/
We are doing it! :-D Staing at Juvet end of the month. Thanks for the push!
SanDiego1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.