Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:33 am

In the end, I booked an "Executive Room" at The Goring for around $431/night (base rate) in late April. I like that I can cancel up to the day before, since its unclear what the world travel situation will be. Looks like an upgrade is theoretically possible through the Amex Hotel Collection and I get $100 credit for F&B, so I think this is going to be an excellent adventure.

Now I just have to figure out how to shed myself of my natural Beverly Hillbilly persona before arrival!!

Last edited by xooz; Feb 29, 2020 at 11:30 am
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Any thoughts on the Corinthia ?
Some of the top suites with terraces look very solid
Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Nizar
Any thoughts on the Corinthia ?
Some of the top suites with terraces look very solid
Was quite often discussed in the thread and in the Forum. Here some examples:
Corinthia Hotel London
Help with London Hotels
Corinthia hotel -- London
Twelve London hotels — recent site inspections
Which London hotel?
Corinthia London

It seems it´s mostly seen as an upscale, business hotel. I agree top-suites looks nice, but not sure if for the price-tag it´s the best choice.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Its a small thing, but I really noticed it the few times I've visited the Corinithia. The hotel does not smell like a luxury hotel. If you visit any of the other properties mentioned they smell clean or have a nice fragrance. Whatever they are doing fragrance wise or cleaning, is not working. The hard product is excellent and the service is in line with a large upscale almost luxury business, but they miss the mark on true luxury like the other properties.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:08 pm

What is the best option for a stay in or near London complying with UK's self-isolation guidelines? Preferably somewhere with a personal backyard or terrace...
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP,STARS, PEN Club,Bellini , Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Rocco Knight,Prive,etc.
If you are looking for something with a nice terrace without dipping into your trust fund,
I would suggest on of the Terrace Suites at the Marylebone.

Terrace ranges in size from 216sf to 432sf with fireplace and fantastic view over the rooftops of London.
It's in one of the hottest neighborhoods

It's a real gem.

Holly Lombardo
HumbleBee likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Any thoughts/advice on best hotel/location for a first time family trip with two young kids 5 and 9? We're planning a 4 night trip to hit some of the major attractions and of course have a proper afternoon tea service. It may all get cancelled, but figured it was time to take the plunge and start booking trips again for next summer.

None of the Marriott options look that great other than the Edition, but for a room that fits 2 adults and 2 children, the prices are higher than most of the other 5-star hotels in the city and I prefer a more traditional decor and building all else equal. I'm leaning towards Ritz London because I prefer a very traditional hotel (especially in Europe), but I'm a little concerned that the dress code, etc. might mean it's a little less child friendly than some of the other options. I'm also considering the Lanesborough, and I figured you can't go wrong with the Four Seasons Park Lane with children, but the FS rooms that old 4 people are also quite a bit more than both the Ritz and Lanesborough.

The only other hotel that piqued my interest was the Great Scotland Yard Hotel. The reviews are amazing and I'd earn hyatt points, but it's roughly the same price for a similar sized room so I'm leaning towards one of the more typical luxury properties.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Perhaps take a look at The Stafford - great location, traditional. Would generally cost less than some you note, but not sure how it meets your specific room needs though.
ABG likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Any thoughts/advice on best hotel/location for a first time family trip with two young kids 5 and 9? We're planning a 4 night trip to hit some of the major attractions and of course have a proper afternoon tea service. It may all get cancelled, but figured it was time to take the plunge and start booking trips again for next summer.

None of the Marriott options look that great other than the Edition, but for a room that fits 2 adults and 2 children, the prices are higher than most of the other 5-star hotels in the city and I prefer a more traditional decor and building all else equal. I'm leaning towards Ritz London because I prefer a very traditional hotel (especially in Europe), but I'm a little concerned that the dress code, etc. might mean it's a little less child friendly than some of the other options. I'm also considering the Lanesborough, and I figured you can't go wrong with the Four Seasons Park Lane with children, but the FS rooms that old 4 people are also quite a bit more than both the Ritz and Lanesborough.

The only other hotel that piqued my interest was the Great Scotland Yard Hotel. The reviews are amazing and I'd earn hyatt points, but it's roughly the same price for a similar sized room so I'm leaning towards one of the more typical luxury properties.
The Ritz has the smallest rooms in London by far in my experience researching.

Lanesborough, Claridges and Dorchester each treat kids wonderfully. I would aim for one of those three and in that order. Lanesborough also has one of the best cigar bars on the planet (I would spend every night there).
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll try the Great Scotland Yard for a few nights in early November and can report back if you can wait that long. Note that it is a Hyatt, you can use points. Just looking at their website, I wonder if their regular rooms are a bit on the small side, but maybe I am overzealous on that issue.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 11:54 pm

Programs: IHG One Rewards & World of Hyatt

The Lanesborough would be my number 1 out of that list for sure.

Some other thoughts here too:
- The Savoy - prime location off the Strand for hitting the sights, and kid friendly but also a real traditional London experience.
- Browns Hotel, Mayfair. This is a Rocco Forte Hotel and has (or had...haven't been post covid yet) child focussed amenities and gifts etc.
And if earning Hyatt points is a winner, consider Hyatt Regency London The Churchill, as that's designed way more traditionally than GSY, as that vibe seems to be more what you're after. It's a 5* Hyatt Regency.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I'd avoid the Ritz at all costs. imo it's just a Disneyland for those seeking a British experience. I like th suggestion of the Stafford if you like traditional decor. Also check out the Goring or Dukes. Of course there's always Claridges.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Thanks for all the replies, and I ended up booking at the Lanesborough. The Claridges looks great and wasn't on my radar because it wasn't bookable that far out through FHR yet, but I plan to check back on it as it gets closer. Oddly, their website says you have to call to book for 3 or more people, so I'm not sure what level room they require for 2 kids, but I liked the decor of the hotel a bit more than the Lanesborough and the reviews of both properties are great so will see what the rates are when they open up FHR bookings.

Thanks for the notes on the Ritz too, the Ritz Paris was one of our favorite hotels ever so we liked the idea of trying the Ritz London, but I know they aren't affiliated other than the similar name and the reviews of Ritz London aren't nearly as glowing.
GUWonder and scented like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:32 am

Thanks for all the replies, and I ended up booking at the Lanesborough. The Claridges looks great and wasn't on my radar because it wasn't bookable that far out through FHR yet, but I plan to check back on it as it gets closer. Oddly, their website says you have to call to book for 3 or more people, so I'm not sure what level room they require for 2 kids, but I liked the decor of the hotel a bit more than the Lanesborough and the reviews of both properties are great so will see what the rates are when they open up FHR bookings.

Thanks for the notes on the Ritz too, the Ritz Paris was one of our favorite hotels ever so we liked the idea of trying the Ritz London, but I know they aren't affiliated other than the similar name and the reviews of Ritz London aren't nearly as glowing.
Good choice to be honest, the Ritz is very underwhelming and I am sure you'll enjoy the Lanesborough and its glorious new Club and Spa.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
What is the best option for a stay in or near London complying with UK's self-isolation guidelines? Preferably somewhere with a personal backyard or terrace...
The Goring has its own expansive garden and is just around the corner from Buckingham Palace, hence its nickname 'the annex".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.