Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Twelve London hotels — recent site inspections

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:30 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Twelve London hotels — recent site inspections

I spent a week in England earlier this month, with six of seven nights spent in three London hotels. I also had the opportunity to do site inspections at sixother hotels. In all, I saw 12 hotels, half of the 24 Virtuoso hotels in London.

Rather than copy-paste the full details of all 12 site inspections (which is too much information to be useful), I will try to organize this information in such a way as to help you determine where you might want to stay.

Location, location, location

Here are the twelve hotels on a map. Your primary criterion in choosing a hotel : where in London do you want to be? While London has an excellent Underground system, being close to your office or your client's office (if traveling on business) or to the attractions you want to visit (if you're a leisure traveler) will save you time.

The map should be a helpful resource to visualize the location of these eleven hotels. The Beaumont is a 4 minute walk from the U.S. Embassy. Claridge's is 7 minutes by foot from Saville Row (if you want to have a suit custom made). Egerton House is right around the corner from Harrods and the V&A. You can see Kensington Palace from many rooms at the Milestone. Have an appointment to see the Queen? The Goring and 51 Buckingham Gate are in the same neighborhood.

So plot out your daily activities on a google map, then take a look at my google map with all of the Virtuoso hotels in London.

What's your style?

Do you prefer to feel the tradition? Or to enjoy modern, no-compromise luxury comfort? With two dozen Virtuoso hotels in London, there are great choices, no matter your style.

fully up-to-date contemporary hotels

There are different kinds of luxury, one being that offered by a contemporary hotel with the no-compromise comforts you'd expect: new, fresh rooms; marble bathrooms with modern plumbing fixtures and step-in showers. Here are three choices.

Four Seasons Park Lane

I spent my first two nights in London at the Four Seasons, convenient for exploring both Mayfair and Piccadilly. The lobby sets the mood when you enter — the elegant dark marble floors and fireplace create the atmosphere of a casual-elegant hotel with a residential feel. While Deluxe rooms are on the compact side at 376 square feet, the near-square dimensions of the bedroom create a very pleasant space. (This is one of my theories — that a square 35 sqm room is much more attractive than a long-and-rectangular room with the same area). I like the materials the designers used in furnishing the hotel, especially the polished walnut veneer used for trim and paneling.

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a newly renovated Westminster Suite which gave me a sense of the direction of the hotel's future soft goods renovations. My seventh floor room had a view of the Westminster skyline over the rooftops of neighboring buildings (see below). The bathroom had dark marble floors and vanities with light tan marble on the walls, dual vanities, a WC, soaking tub, and step-in shower. The living room had a very usable built in work desk with plugs at desktop level, a sofabed, and its own powder room.

Four Seasons Park Lane struck me as a very well run city hotel!

Corinthia

My next two nights in London were spent at The Corinthia where I stayed in an Executive room. Occupying a former government building in Westminster, the hotel is well located for visitors who want to see Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, and the Churchill War Rooms.

The largest Virtuoso hotel in London, rates are more moderate here than elsewhere. The hotel is very well suited for price-conscious travelers looking for upscale accommodations. The rooms have clean lines and are decorated in neutral shades of green and tan — a very subdued look. The bathroom had dark marble floors, a single white marble vanity, soaking tub, and step-in rain shower.

Superior rooms are 32 sqm, Deluxe rooms are 39 sqm, and Executive rooms are 45 sqm. As half the hotel's rooms are in the Executive category, the chances are good of being upgraded from Deluxe to Executive. The hotel still offers a guaranteed early check-in, useful for travelers arriving in the early morning from North America.

Shangri-La at the Shard

The Shangri-La is all about the view. If the location works for you (in the London Bridge neighborhood of London, south of the Thames), this is a stunning contemporary hotel. A ground floor elevator takes guests to the 35th floor lobby from which a second elevator leads to guestrooms on floors 36-50. While rooms aren't overly large, they are nonetheless quite attractive. I was shown a Deluxe City View room with 30 sqm of space. Wide rather than long, the bed faces a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows along the long axis of the room. The marble bathroom was everything you'd expect from a new contemporary luxury hotel: dual vanities, tub, step-in shower, and Toto toilet.

Of special note is GŎNG, the hotel's 52nd floor bar. Rather than pay 30Ł per person for The View From the Shard, go to GŎNG for drinks and get the view for free! The view is the highlight, whether from your guestroom, the lobby, bar, restaurant, gym, or inside pool.

veddy traditional boutique hotels

Four of the hotels I visited fall squarely in this category. Guests who stay here do so because they want something that feels veddy traditional, precisely because they don't want a modern, contemporary hotel that could be found in any city in the world.

The Goring

The Goring would be my #1 choice if you want to experience something very traditional in the heart of London. I spent my final two nights here in a Junior Suite (my second stay at The Goring). Owned and managed by the Goring family for over a century, the hotel is literally around the corner from Buckingham Palace. Five years ago, The Goring hosted the Middleton family on the eve of the Royal Wedding.

The hotel recently had a thorough renovation. The designer used traditional silk patterns rewoven by the Gainsborough Silk Weaving Company; these are used for wall coverings in the 16 Silk Rooms in the property. The bathrooms have also been brought up to date. What I personally appreciate is that the Goring accomplished its renovations without "repairing" all of the small nicks you'd expect to find in century-old woodwork. Like the small bubbles in blown crystal, these slight imperfections reinforce the fact that you're living in a place steeped in history.

The Goring's backyard happens to be London's largest private garden, and the best guestrooms are the Most Splendid Garden Rooms which have bay windows overlooking the garden. For a real treat, book a Belgravia Suite. Like many old building, the rooms are not large, but they have been lovingly restored.

Egerton House

An intimate hotel with just 32 rooms, Egerton House is comprised of two Knightsbridge townhouses that have been joined together. Set on a street in a residential neighborhood, you're nevertheless just a short walk from Harrods or the Victoria & Albert Museum (where your complimentary tickets provided by the hotel can save you standing in a long queue).

Rooms are on the compact side — really small — and each one is unique. But if you end up in the right room, you'll be happy. My favorite room in the hotel is #32, a Studio Suite with a four-poster bed and sofabed. It's only 35 sqm in size, but it is a charming and light-filled room — also a bargain at 500Ł (especially when the hotel is running a third night free promotion).

The Milestone

Like Egerton House, The Milestone is owned by Red Carnation hotels. Across the street from Kensington Park, many rooms have a view of Kensington Palace, home of Prince William and Kate. With 56 rooms and suites — and six Residences — each room is unique. The hotel has a large staff of 109 and has been highly rated for its service.

Rooms here are likewise small, but if you can live with this, rooms with park views are filled with natural light. Another of my theories — abundant natural light makes any hotel room look much better! We were shown a King Deluxe room named Saville Row. Just 20 sqm in size, it is nicely decorated with padded fabric walls in natural colors. The small bathroom has just a single sink with shower in the tub, but step-in showers are available.

Some of the hotels suites look stunning on the hotel's website (although we were not able to see the best suites due to high occupancy). The hotel also has seven 2BR and 3BR apartments which could be an option for families traveling to London. Rates start at 599Ł low season and 799Ł in the summer, VAT additional, with a 3-day minimum most of the year and 7-day minimum in the summer.

In addition to the Virtuoso amenities, Brownell clients receive an additional $100 food credit for bookings of two nights or longer. The Milestone's restaurant features quite wonderful English comfort food!

Claridge's

Claridge's has a loyal following of guests who love the hotel and keep returning. I suspect it's the service that brings them back. The hotel has a staff of well-trained butlers who serve Suite guests, and each time you come back, the same butler is assigned. Butlers come to know each guest's preferences, and thus a relationship is built over the years.

The hotel is 202 years old and steeped in tradition — but perhaps "steeped in tradition" doesn't put it strongly enough. The owners have intentionally preserved some of the old, quirky features from an older era such as (a) the old dual shower handles in the bathtub-shower of one of the Minaret Suites and (b) a sink next to the bed of a Terrace Suite.

Claridge's does offer large rooms (the Deluxe room I saw was 52 sqm) and should be considered by families requiring connecting rooms. There are many connecting possibilities as well as a Family Plan. Also consider Claridge's if you're in the market for a new Burberry trench coat. New coats are provided in the closet for the use of guests, and you can purchase your coat at a steeply discounted price.

While the hotel has "great bones," my hope is that the owners would undertake an much-needed soft goods renovation to make its guestrooms and hallways feel fresher and younger. A new decorating scheme with some splashes of saturated color in the guest rooms, and updated bathroom fixtures, would make Claridge's really shine!

something old, something new

There's no real theme among the five remaining hotels...

The Savoy

The Savoy is an historical London hotel managed by Fairmont, the first building in London constructed especially to serve as a luxury hotel. The original Edwardian building (on the Thames side) went into service in 1889, and an Art Deco addition (the street side) was completed in 1904. Large for a Virtuoso hotel in London, the property has 268 rooms.

The hotel underwent a complete 200,000,000Ł restoration from 2007-2010 — a "restoration," stressed the Sales Manger, not a "renovation," as original interior features such as intricate moldings and ceiling friezes were meticulously preserved. Proud of their history, the hotel still has a Butler School and its own curated Museum off the lobby. It's even possible to order a 5,000Ł cocktail at the bar, made from vintage bottles of liqueurs that noted celebrities have drunk from in recent years. Cheers!

I saw two rooms. An entry level Art Deco room on the 7th floor was small at 25 sqm, but its square dimensions, high ceilings, and tall windows made the room pleasing. The marble bathroom had one vanity and a shower in the tub, but 70% of rooms have step-in showers, so these should be specifically requested.

The bedroom of the Personality Suite I saw was equal in size to a River View room (43 sqm). If you love a great view, it's worth buying up to this room category as the view is stunning, looking over the Thames toward the London Eye.

The Stafford

The Stafford is a traditional English hotel with 104 rooms decorated in a classic style. Located just off Piccadilly, it offers a good central location for visitors to London. The hotel has an excellent restaurant, an American Bar, and a wine cellar overseen by a master sommelier who can organize wine tastings as well as private meals in the cellar.

Rooms in the old main hotel are compact, between 23-32 sqm. The room we were shown had a small bathroom with just a single sink and a shower in the tub, though stall showers are available upon request. The styling was a bit bland for my taste. However, I found the Junior Suite we were shown in the Mews building to be quite attractive. A more recently constructed building, the hotel was able to provide up-to-date bathrooms in these newer rooms.

The Beaumont

The newest Virtuoso hotel in London, The Beaumont opened in September, 2014. A small hotel with 73 rooms, it was constructed on the site of a former parking garage. Located on the north side of Mayfair, it is close to Grosvenor Square and the U.S. Embassy. Owned by the restaurant group that runs The Wolseley and a number of other London eateries, the hotel's own Colony Grill offers comfort food, and hotel guests have cross charging privileges at all of the restaurants owned by the group.

I was shown a lead-in Classic King #219, 30 sqm in size. Decorated in an art deco style, the marble bathroom had a single vanity and a step-in shower (but no tub). It overlooked the inner courtyard and was a bit dark. Superior rooms are the same size but face the street in front of the hotel. Request a higher floor for the interesting view across the street and more more light!

An attractive feature of the hotel is the free minibar. All snacks and non-alcoholic drinks are provided on a complimentary basis.

Taj 51 Buckingham Gate

51 Buckingham Gate is a value leader in London. An all suite hotel that was fully renovated in 2015, it provides a remarkable combination of good space and good location at a reasonable price. Every room has a kitchenette and a washer/dryer, so this hotel should be considered by families on a budget.

There are three buildings — Kings, Falconers, and Ministers, the Kings Townhouse having the least expensive rooms with less elaborate furnishings. We saw a Kings Junior Suite, a contemporary accommodation decorated in shades of grey and green. The bedroom is separated by a sliding glass door from the living, but as the desk is in the bedroom, this defeats the purpose of being able to work while your partner is sleeping. The bathrooms had a single vanity, a bathtub, and a step-in shower. While you wouldn't choose this room for its charm, at 300Ł it represents a compelling value for London.

Rosewood London

I lost count... I actually saw twelve hotels during my time in London. The Rosewood is a new hotel built in an older building. Its design is intended to offer, like all Rosewoods, a sense of place. The hotel has an excellent restaurant and bar, and the Suites we were shown were very attractive. I would not hesitate to recommend a suite to any of my clients.

However, the regular guestrooms were long and narrow. The high ceilings only accentuated the narrowness of the accommodation, as did the carpet pattern (wide, two-tone stripes running across the narrow axis of the room), the plain off-white walls, and the plain drapes. We mentioned to our sales rep that mounting art work on the walls could add color and visual interest to an otherwise very plain room, but it was explained that this was a matter of corporate policy.

The hotel frequently offers More Rosewood (third night free) rates that are combinable with Virtuoso amenities, making Rosewood London one of the value leaders in London.

Last edited by DavidO; Mar 17, 2018 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by 99Robbins
Did you do a hard hat of Ten Trinity FS?
I did not, but I saw an iPad presentation of the hotel. Looks like an exciting project.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a newly renovated Westminster Suite which gave me a sense of the direction of the hotel's future soft goods renovations.
Thanks for your report!^
Would it be possible to know a little bit more about FSPL renovation program?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Thanks DavidO, very informative report. You made me want to try again the Goring, maybe in a higher-room category that what I had tried in the past.

I think that for a contemporary feeling, I would now stay at the London Edition. The rooms are truly lovely and the bar and restaurants are amongst the best I've seen in London, and I've tried quite a few.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I have stayed at four of the hotel's listed and always return to the Goring. I adore David Morgan Hewitt and they really treat their repeat guests and VIPS exceptionally well. I fondly remember the invitation only Sunday evening cocktail party hosted by George Goring. I always tried to include a Sunday night on my stays so to take part in it.

They treat their guests like family.

THat being said I love the ambiance of the Stafford and their suites are wonderful. Very spacious and comfortable.

There are so many other wonderful hotels, some not Virtuoso partners, that make a London a great destination.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:43 am

I love the Four Seasons in London it was a perfect spa , perfect hotel etc
Can someone tell me what Ten Trinity will be near for sightseeing . imagine Tower of London?
I totally agree, service is stellar under John Stauss, has been for years. And I am so happy to see many young team members thrive at the hotel, especially these days. George Murray left the Concierge Team last year and I couldn't be happier to see Cordelia G take over and do so well. She and many other young, charismatic team members work so hard to make it happen for the guests and countless other London hotels fail in this regard. Also, great front desk operations and many familiar faces from George V there. Incredibly well run.

You can expect some changes at the Spa in the near future. I love this spa, too, and it is always great to see Genevieve P around reception. But, quite honestly they suffer a bit from way too many products and the reception area resembles a supermarket to me. The retail aspect is too big. I appreciate them offering the products, but those fur throws and blankets and whatnot is just borderline. I would declutter this area and re-structure. This is made up by personalized service and some average to good therapists but this is an area they can work on. To have a rooftop spa was visionary, but the London market is competitive and for health-conscious travelers (and locals) other hotels raise the spa flag a bit higher. Bulgari London gets all the young and affluent spa aficionados who flock there for their personal training, pilates and latest treatments and for chemical-free enthusiasts the Aman Spa or Café Royal with Sodashi (and Watsu!) is all the rage. Where the Four Seasons Spa sees itself, I am not so sure - I doubt that a Gold or Diamond facial by Omorovicza is the answer. And they have added yet another brand to the mix, a medispa brand. I hope they develop the spa a bit better, as few spas have those views from the treatment rooms.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by DavidO
(This is one of my theories — that a square 35 sqm room is much more attractive than a long-and-rectangular room with the same area).
totally agree
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Thanks for posting that great report. I am trying to plan a trip to London in 2017 and your report is helpful.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by scented
I totally agree, service is stellar under John Stauss, has been for years. And I am so happy to see many young team members thrive at the hotel, especially these days. George Murray left the Concierge Team last year and I couldn't be happier to see Cordelia G take over and do so well. She and many other young, charismatic team members work so hard to make it happen for the guests and countless other London hotels fail in this regard. Also, great front desk operations and many familiar faces from George V there. Incredibly well run.

You can expect some changes at the Spa in the near future. I love this spa, too, and it is always great to see Genevieve P around reception. But, quite honestly they suffer a bit from way too many products and the reception area resembles a supermarket to me. The retail aspect is too big. I appreciate them offering the products, but those fur throws and blankets and whatnot is just borderline. I would declutter this area and re-structure. This is made up by personalized service and some average to good therapists but this is an area they can work on. To have a rooftop spa was visionary, but the London market is competitive and for health-conscious travelers (and locals) other hotels raise the spa flag a bit higher. Bulgari London gets all the young and affluent spa aficionados who flock there for their personal training, pilates and latest treatments and for chemical-free enthusiasts the Aman Spa or Café Royal with Sodashi (and Watsu!) is all the rage. Where the Four Seasons Spa sees itself, I am not so sure - I doubt that a Gold or Diamond facial by Omorovicza is the answer. And they have added yet another brand to the mix, a medispa brand. I hope they develop the spa a bit better, as few spas have those views from the treatment rooms.
Spot on - I have been sayng this for years about this Spa.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:01 am

Thank you!
I can't wait for the opening date to be confirmed!
Old May 14, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FS Preferred Partner, Belmond Bellini Club, Stars, Ritz Carlton, Rosewood, A & K, Starwood
I love this review on London luxury properties. My favorite has always been The Milestone. I find the rates can be a great value and it is so nice being across from the park when traveling with your family. The Goring is another favorite but is much more expensive.

What do others think about the location of The Milestone for a first-time visitor to London?
Old May 14, 2016, 1:18 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by TopFlightGal
I love this review on London luxury properties. My favorite has always been The Milestone. I find the rates can be a great value and it is so nice being across from the park when traveling with your family. The Goring is another favorite but is much more expensive.

What do others think about the location of The Milestone for a first-time visitor to London?
+1 DavidO always does detailed unbiased reviews ^

The Milestone is a good location for a first time visitor . My family has stayed many times before and have always appreciated the cosiness of the hotel . They live in England but out of London " proper " .

Easy walks to Knightsbridge , etc through the park . Nearby Kensington Palace too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.