Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 8:53 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by steveholt
I think the Shangri-La The Shard makes sense. I was going to book it with FHR after seeing rooms available in all room types for the last week, but all availability suddenly disappeared when I went to book today!
Several hotel back end reservations systems are being upgraded this weekend.... Try again today or drop them an email. [email protected]
Even if you are trying to clear your FHR travel credit the Luxury Circle offer with the confirmed upgrade, even suite to suite based on your budget, might be more lucrative.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by ABG
Several hotel back end reservations systems are being upgraded this weekend.... Try again today or drop them an email. [email protected]
Even if you are trying to clear your FHR travel credit the Luxury Circle offer with the confirmed upgrade, even suite to suite based on your budget, might be more lucrative.
I was able to make the reservation, thanks! I preferred FHR because I wanted the guaranteed late checkout as opposed to one based on availability.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Tiny, tiny rooms. Suites are lovely though. Hotel was sold by Corbyn & King and the GM "retired" and I think it's declined a bit.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has stayed recently. I heard the newish GM, Duncan Palmer, talk about plans for expansion (into a warehouse next door) and continued
soft room upgrades. We are thinking of booking in September but are concerned about the potential for noise (though he preemptively said it would not disturb guests.)
This would be our first stay here and am now thinking we should wait and go back to our usuals.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Finished a 3 night stay at the Connaught in their Carlos Suite - still my fave hotel in London (Lanesborough is second).

Room wise, love the old English decor with modern touches (heated floors, heated towel racks and a shower head that dumps water on you).

Despite the hotel's relative size, I still get very strong boutique vibes when everyone greets you by last name in the facilities. Guests still have priority at all the F&B venues which is so nice - means you can slip in a drink at the Connaught Bar post dinner w/o a rez. Food program is still top notch as are the drinks. Last stay was August 2019 so very happy to see that nothing's changed through COVID. Cannot wait for the next trip
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:50 pm

I too continue to love The Connaught and consider it the best in London, but I've said for a few years now that they need to start a refurb on the rooms. I wouldn't recommend someone to stay in anything less than a suite and even then it should be a higher category. The rest of the upgrades they've made to F&B are brilliant, including the new Grill and Patisserie, but the rooms feel tired in places. At least they've been heavily investing in the temperature control, as previously it was a guessing game to how hot/cold it would be come morning.

I hope once Claridges and The Berkeley finish their extensive refurbs the owners focus back on The Connaught. They're clearly trying to bring some standardisation across the brands, as you can see from our recent stays in The Mews and The Berkeley Grand Terrace Suite

Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Nice to see you writing again, MMD.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:22 am
Original Member

Splendid with a single but major flaw

The Lanesborough

1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Lanesborough

Hyde Park Corner London, GB SW1X 7TA

Splendid with a single but major flaw (6 Photos)

The Lanesborough

Stayed in a lovely suite for a week at April's end and was over-the-moon impressed by this elegant, friendly hotel whose staff is superbly welcoming and kind. Having a butler on call was helpful. The Hyde Park view was an ongoing entertainment. Concierge services were tip-top and much appreciated. Lilibet the cat was a bit standoffish but, as a feline, that is her privilege. Flowers throughout were stunning. I ordered a bouquet of my own and it was outstanding.

Now, the flaw: I booked just at the time the hotel was changing chefs so cuisine was, well, lamentable. Both breakfast and room service were troubled although service was delightful.

I’m returning for four nights in October brfore and after a Cotswolds gardens meander and am so looking forward to a grand stay.

Check In

Gracious and smooth with offer of champagne or other beverage. I opted for tea I. My suite as I was pooped from the red-eye from SFO.

Transfer from LHR, arranged by my TA in advance, was seamless.

Room

ADCA38A3-C52C-4FF5-9C7D-409FCC61B85F.jpegF0EA1A84-C17E-49EC-A77C-1C3419E33D7D.jpeg8F094CD3-C415-4455-A3AA-4D03DDF52F0F.jpegB87A86A4-E9D4-4C50-AB91-70B6F8E6821E.jpegC8F4C924-AFFE-439F-9AD8-A1D60A425A31.jpeg9694DB30-4B1D-4409-AB91-A8ACD52847FD.jpegThe first floor Park Suite was small but ever so lovely and comfortable. Bathroom wonderful with walk-in shower and gargantuan marble tub. There was another guest half bath. Hyde Park views from all windows. Traditional furnishings which were very much to my taste, both elegant and comfortable. Loved this suite. Was offered an upgrade but declined because it would have been on the second floor with much lower ceiling.

Service

Service was splendid and kindly -- everywhere. In the lobby, at checkin, in the bar in the withdrawing room, in the spa, from concierges and butlers. Service here is so comfortably rendered, I felt at home. Ok, so Lilibet the Cat was a bit standoffish but that is the feline way.

Dining

This is where things went bottoms up. I happened to stay just when the hotel was changing chefs and it showed, Breakfast and room service were lamentable, I dated not attemp dinner. I expect by now they will have straightened this out.

It's Belgravia, for heaven's sake, at Hyde Oark Corner!

Overall

LOVED IT, except for food.

Splendid with a single but major flaw

Would you like to write a review on the The Lanesborough?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:30 am
Original Member

I must add that I met up with Offerendum and his lovely wife at The Lanesborough. They had the suite next door to me! It was such a pleasure to meet this FlyerTalker I’ve admired for years. He is so knowledgeable and informative. He also bought the most expensive single glass of wine ever! Had no idea I was such an expensive “date.” Hope to repay the pleasure.
Soon.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:45 am

Sounds like you had a great stay at The Lanesborough! It tends to be where I stay when in London and over the years have stayed in most room categories. The ground floor and first floor rooms have high ceilings but are lower from floor 2 onwards. On the times when I've been allocated a room facing the interior courtyard (usually when I book a couple of hours before arriving) I have always slept like a baby. It may not be the best view but the sleep quality is unrivalled. F&B is definitely an issue in the hotel at the moment. Celeste lost it's Michelin star earlier this year and there has been a lot of staffing turbulence in recent years with the Head / Executive chefs. They rebranded Celeste as Lanesborough Grill which feels like a big mistake - now it's just like every other London hotel restaurant. Room rates have increased sharply at the hotel to the point that a lead-in is now almost £850 per night. That would be understandable if the hotel had recently been refurbished but the last major refurbishment was 2015. I understand they want to make back some of the losses they made in the past couple of years but £850 for 26sq m seems extremely high when you consider that most of these rooms come with a shower over the bath (an abomination). Still, that seems to be the trend in London at the moment and in spite of it 45PL or The Lanesborough are still my go to.
KatW likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Hyde Park views from all windows.
Was your view much different from offerendum's view from a Park Suite (see end of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34238972-post16.html) That seemed more of a view of a road than the park.

It did sound as if both of you had lovely stays.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I must add that I met up with Offerendum and his lovely wife at The Lanesborough. They had the suite next door to me! It was such a pleasure to meet this FlyerTalker I’ve admired for years. He is so knowledgeable and informative. He also bought the most expensive single glass of wine ever! Had no idea I was such an expensive “date.” Hope to repay the pleasure.
Soon.
It was a pleasure.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Sounds like you had a great stay at The Lanesborough! It tends to be where I stay when in London and over the years have stayed in most room categories. The ground floor and first floor rooms have high ceilings but are lower from floor 2 onwards. On the times when I've been allocated a room facing the interior courtyard (usually when I book a couple of hours before arriving) I have always slept like a baby. It may not be the best view but the sleep quality is unrivalled. F&B is definitely an issue in the hotel at the moment. Celeste lost it's Michelin star earlier this year and there has been a lot of staffing turbulence in recent years with the Head / Executive chefs. They rebranded Celeste as Lanesborough Grill which feels like a big mistake - now it's just like every other London hotel restaurant. Room rates have increased sharply at the hotel to the point that a lead-in is now almost £850 per night. That would be understandable if the hotel had recently been refurbished but the last major refurbishment was 2015. I understand they want to make back some of the losses they made in the past couple of years but £850 for 26sq m seems extremely high when you consider that most of these rooms come with a shower over the bath (an abomination). Still, that seems to be the trend in London at the moment and in spite of it 45PL or The Lanesborough are still my go to.
I love the Lanesborough but lament the dining options - the fact that there's only one dining option puts it a big disadvantage to it Maybourne hotel peers that boast a ton of options on the premises.

I know that historically the Lanesborough hotel owners have been at odds with Oetker on Celeste because the owners don't want the cost and upkeep that's required for a Michelin starred restaurant. Shame if you ask me
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:29 am

Soon.
What a lovely coincidence!
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by reigndrop
I know that historically the Lanesborough hotel owners have been at odds with Oetker on Celeste because the owners don't want the cost and upkeep that's required for a Michelin starred restaurant. Shame if you ask me
Why wouldn't you want a hotel restaurant to serve the best food it possibly can? Seems bizarre!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco
Why wouldn't you want a hotel restaurant to serve the best food it possibly can? Seems bizarre!
Presumably because it's not profitable for them, even taking into account its ability to attract guests to the hotel.
offerendum and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.