Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Not a fan of the Connaught unless staying in the new wing.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by richarddd
We are very fond of visiting the National Galleries and the British Museum. What are the best hotels within a very short walking distance of one or the other?
The Haymarket Hotel and Corinthia are my favorites that work best for your location preference. I love them both.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:24 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Hello All,

Planning my next visit to London for May and am looking for luxury hotel recommendations. Last time (three years ago) we stayed at the Beaumont and really enjoyed it (the decor and fit and finish were excellent, the private "Cub Room" was a nice touch and service was good). But, we also like trying new and different properties so are thinking of other options this time around and have noted that a number of new properties have come to market since we were last there. Location-wise, we prefer being close to the West End, so Mayfair, Marylebone, Bloomsbury, Holborn, St. James or even the City are our preferred areas. Generally, we prefer not to be in Kensington or Knightsbridge. We like small-ish hotels (<150 rooms) that have a strong sense of design. We were thinking of the Stafford as we've had good luck with other Preferred LEGEND properties and we like the more classic decor which seems to be on offer there. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:12 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by jbb
We were thinking of the Stafford as we've had good luck with other Preferred LEGEND properties and we like the more classic decor which seems to be on offer there. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Very popular property with North Americans and Aussies. Fantastic concierge service and I like the courtyard in terms of giving the hotel a little unique feeling. The rooms in the Carriage House area rooms were recently re-done by Alexandra Champalimaud.
jbb likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
With the right light, most views can be interesting.
Most. This is the Corinthia courtyard.

Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:21 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by ABG
Very popular property with North Americans and Aussies. Fantastic concierge service and I like the courtyard in terms of giving the hotel a little unique feeling. The rooms in the Carriage House area rooms were recently re-done by Alexandra Champalimaud.
Sounds great. Being a Preferred LEGEND property caught our attention initially, but we also like the Mayfair location and the design of the rooms in the photos. I've always had hit or miss experiences with concierges (to the point that I've almost given up on them for restaurant recommendations) so good to hear your report on them too. Sounds like it's worth a try.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
The deluxe junior suite would be my choice, although the uninspiring view gives me pause. Next up is a garden suite, also courtyard, and then a Great Scotland Yard view; any idea what that looks like? Above that is a Trafalgar Square and Nelson column view - I wonder if that's as nice as it sounds,

If I have decent wifi I don't care about mobile service, but I understand why lack of mobile service would be a problem for most people, especially if it could easily be fixed.
I don't remember what category of suite I ultimately ended up with at the Corinthia but it roughly had a view of the Embankment tube station area. It was a large suite but the wall with the windows outwards was semi-circular.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:45 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by jbb
Hello All,

Planning my next visit to London for May and am looking for luxury hotel recommendations. Last time (three years ago) we stayed at the Beaumont and really enjoyed it (the decor and fit and finish were excellent, the private "Cub Room" was a nice touch and service was good). But, we also like trying new and different properties so are thinking of other options this time around and have noted that a number of new properties have come to market since we were last there. Location-wise, we prefer being close to the West End, so Mayfair, Marylebone, Bloomsbury, Holborn, St. James or even the City are our preferred areas. Generally, we prefer not to be in Kensington or Knightsbridge. We like small-ish hotels (<150 rooms) that have a strong sense of design. We were thinking of the Stafford as we've had good luck with other Preferred LEGEND properties and we like the more classic decor which seems to be on offer there. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
We’ll be there in July so please report back!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by jbb
We were thinking of the Stafford as we've had good luck with other Preferred LEGEND properties and we like the more classic decor which seems to be on offer there. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by Ericka
We’ll be there in July so please report back!
We stayed in The Gatehouse at The Stafford which was excellent with 3 floors, a private internal elevator, fantastic artwork, and very comfortable. I also toured all the categories and preferred the more modern Mews Suites & The Gate House to the much more traditional Main House and Carriage House rooms & suites. The American Bar is cozy and very popular, and we also enjoyed The Game Bird restaurant, and the service was excellent all around the hotel. I hope you both have a great trip!
Ericka and jbb like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:28 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
At the Stafford, we’ve booked the only junior suite with a separate bedroom and living room. It’s in the main house which should work out fine as we like traditional decor. The bathroom looks quite small though...separate tub and shower but only one sink. I’ll do a trip report of course. I just love St. James Park and I’m looking forward to taking my son to feed the ornamental ducks!
KristenNix likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:29 pm

Greetings all.. a little daunting to post here, but here goes...

Looking to book something more upscale than our normal for our next visit to London (wife and I). We have been among the usual rabble booking at Hilton or Marriott when in London, and have never stayed at a "luxury" hotel unless the Inn at Spanish Bay or Conrad Tokyo counts. From what I read in this forum, I am thinking The Goring might fit us pretty well.

The hotel seems pretty well respected, and for us the fact that there is no Spa is just fine. We would try the restaurant there for a night for sure and location seems good enough though a little south of perfection. The price point using the Amex "Hotel Collection" seems mighty reasonable at around $450 USD. Questions are:
- Any suggested/better choice at similar pricing (looking in May)?
- Assuming we opt for this, any advice to make the stay more enjoyable? Just looking for general suggestions since we have no real experience at higher end hotels

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Pierre&Cédric likes this.

Last edited by xooz; Feb 28, 2020 at 1:34 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Not tried the Edison yet but I love the Bvlgari. I stayed in all room types & suites. I love this hotel since it opened
Awesome. Booked my stay at the Bvlgari. First time in London since I was a broke college student hostel hopping.
Pierre&Cédric likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by xooz
Greetings all.. a little daunting to post here, but here goes...

Looking to book something more upscale than our normal for our next visit to London (wife and I). We have been among the usual rabble booking at Hilton or Marriott when in London, and have never stayed at a "luxury" hotel unless the Inn at Spanish Bay or Conrad Tokyo counts. From what I read in this forum, I am thinking The Goring might fit us pretty well.

The hotel seems pretty well respected, and for us the fact that there is no Spa is just fine. We would try the restaurant there for a night for sure and location seems good enough though a little south of perfection. The price point using the Amex "Hotel Collection" seems mighty reasonable at around $450 USD. Questions are:
- Any suggested/better choice at similar pricing (looking in May)?
- Assuming we opt for this, any advice to make the stay more enjoyable? Just looking for general suggestions since we have no real experience at higher end hotels

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Is that pounds or dollars? Because 450 is a great rate, I assume entry level room which may be cramped.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:21 pm

We stayed last May at the Goring in a Junior Suite. It was very nice with a daily cocktail made in the room each afternoon. We enjoyed breakfast daily and Had dinner twice in The Dining Room. They now have a seafood restaurant in the rear of the building facing the garden. That was under construction during our visit.
Our room had a lovely bathtub and shower. Rooms smaller than the Junior Suite may be cramped.
The fresh flowers in the rooms were gorgeous.
The suite where Catherine Middleton stayed the night before she married Prince William was booked, so I was unable to take a peek.
KatW likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Is that pounds or dollars? Because 450 is a great rate, I assume entry level room which may be cramped.
USD...I couldn't believe it either! Actually it was the next room up. Sounds like I should at least reserve, assuming I can cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.