Travel Insurance for Luxury Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Insurance for Luxury Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

medjet (and IIRC DAN) etc is from hospital rather than point of injury.

i have not explored medical, but cant imagine i would be happy with standardized mass market plan. 'real' insurance can be expensive and still have exclusions. many choose to not have 'real' insurance for many things.

would be interesting to have great coverage and access to medical / security on ground, likely expensive.

luxury can be expensive - (tens of) thousands per night. insurance refunding late arrivals would be interesting.

presumably some here stick with biggest chains in hopes that they may be more likely to negotiate.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 19, 2018 at 10:53 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by RolfD

That is your opinion, but again I don’t do coach or one star hotels
1 star and coach is excactly what I do all the time

P.S. Over the few years I travel I never didn’t use a prepaid stay or lost money for a flight.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
As someone who takes photography tours that involve hiking and being in somewhat remote environments, I've found that the coverage from the Austrian Alpine Club (UK) is very reasonably priced and cover a lot of the medical treatment and evacuation that I might need.

For the membership fee one gets up to 25,000 Euro of rescue costs, repatriation cost with no limit, medical treatment up to 10,000 Euro as well as third party liability up to 3M Euro. All of that for the 52 Pounds (or 40 for Seniors) for a year makes a lot of sense. https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
1 star and coach is excactly what I do all the time

P.S. Over the few years I travel I never didn’t use a prepaid stay or lost money for a flight.

I had a feeling that you would really go for Delta Basic Economy (middle seat) and Holiday Inn Express!
RolfD likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:52 pm

ALLIANZ has yearly travel insurance policies. Ours was $350 per year.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I had a feeling that you would really go for Delta Basic Economy (middle seat) and Holiday Inn Express!
You nailed it! To be honest I prefer IBIS styles over HI Express - sounds so fancy. Or Formula 1 with shared bathroom! Dounds like fuel, fast cars and all the circus....

I agree health insurance is a must. Fortunately my insurance is vailed worldwide unlimited, additional my Amex offers unlimited coverage (not sure if simgle room etc but don’t think will ever use it).

P.S. Price of journey is one factor but not the most important. If the journey is more expensive it’s most likely the case with the insurance. Often it’s a percentage calculation. So in the end the loss may be high on the first view but if you calculate it it’s after 10 journeys or so the same cost risk relation. Additional one amount of money is not the same for different people.
MikeFromTokyo and RolfD like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum

You nailed it! To be honest I prefer IBIS styles over HI Express - sounds so fancy. Or Formula 1 with shared bathroom! Dounds like fuel, fast cars and all the circus....

I agree health insurance is a must. Fortunately my insurance is vailed worldwide unlimited, additional my Amex offers unlimited coverage (not sure if simgle room etc but don’t think will ever use it).

P.S. Price of journey is one factor but not the most important. If the journey is more expensive it’s most likely the case with the insurance. Often it’s a percentage calculation. So in the end the loss may be high on the first view but if you calculate it it’s after 10 journeys or so the same cost risk relation. Additional one amount of money is not the same for different people.
I knew it! Next time, if you see me at a Formula One or IBIS styles please say hi. I’m usually wearing a some Nascar apparel and my Make America Great Again hat. I always order a burnt steak with extra ketchup and wash that down with Miller beer

Re insurance, I found it amusing when I recently bought a regional one way business class ticket for about $300 (here in Southeastern Asia). The airline was offering a $10 insurance policy that was slected by default - i.e. one has to look and then uncheck that box to opt out. It’s a total money grab. Why would I need to insure a cheap ticket that is refundable and changeable anyway? My guess is that many people just click through the booking steps and unwittingly purchase that insurance policy, out of which a large commission is paid to the airline.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I knew it! Next time, if you see me at a Formula One or IBIS styles please say hi. I’m usually wearing a some Nascar apparel and my Make America Great Again hat. I always order a burnt steak with extra ketchup and wash that down with Miller beer

Re insurance, I found it amusing when I recently bought a regional one way business class ticket for about $300 (here in Southeastern Asia). The airline was offering a $10 insurance policy that was slected by default - i.e. one has to look and then uncheck that box to opt out. It’s a total money grab. Why would I need to insure a cheap ticket that is refundable and changeable anyway? My guess is that many people just click through the booking steps and unwittingly purchase that insurance policy, out of which a large commission is paid to the airline.
Eurowings offers flexible option for a premium which is 2x the price of the ticket. Of course you can buy insurance too.... You must especially confirm that you renounce the valuable protection
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:46 pm

Short Answer: Hard Pass

Longer Answer: like many others (e.g. MikeFromTokyo), we tend to travel so last minute that the necessity for it asymptotically approaches zero.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The term "travel insurance" means many things. If you really can't sustain the risk that your bag might arrive a day late or that you might need to pay for a meal here and there, then you need a comprehensive policy which covers everything which could go wrong on a trip. Those tend not to be worth the money.

But, you should think about health care costs and medical evacuation. Some countries will not admit you without proof of coverage and in others, the standard may be that you pay cash and then submit to insurance on your return. Medical evacuation by air ambulance from Europe to the US can easily cost $120K. And, what about a companion who needs to stay and help out or someone who can't fly for a month but just needs a hotel?

The problem with many of the posts here is that they are generic and do not address any specific issue.
RolfD likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by KatW
Travel insurance: Yay or Nay?

We travel luxe most of the time and historically I have not availed myself of travel insurance and only once have suffered therefore. But I recently booked a VERY expensive trip and chose to insure it for a hefty premium.

And I feel like a chump. But I have good reasons to seek protection with so many big bucks at risk: my husband is in mid-stage dementia and I have lupus, albeit generally well behaved. So, I swallowed the bait this time. Would you?

I think you made a good call. When you have booked an expensive trip and know going into it that you have unpredictable health issues, you've done what you can to hedge your bets so that you should hopefully have a worry free vacation. (PS - did you ever say where you're headed? Not that it matters. I just love to live vicariously through others' travels while waiting on my next trip.)

Posting from a US based perspective, I always purchase some form of extra insurance depending on where I'm headed and how much the total cost of the trip will be. My medical insurance barely covers anything in the States, so purchasing additional health insurance for trips outside the country is a must. I also have Medjet, because it looks like the single most expensive factor of an accident or illness abroad would be the cost of returning home. You can always purchase a trip policy which includes repatriation costs. In fact, we did a land tour last year which required you to show that you had $200,000 of repatriation coverage.

But as far as affordable trip insurance here in the States - whether medical or trip interruption - is usually a guessing game. I've looked at the yearly policies which some companies offer, but I have yet to purchase one.

Anyway, I hope you and your other half have a wonderful trip!!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

There are more than few scenarios in which travel cannot be booked last minute. Some high-end resorts book up a year or more in advance, e.g., The Awanee, Wildlife lodges, holiday seasons, etc. Then there are some of us who are wedded to particular rooms or suites in upscale hotels/resorts. Many Americans have limited vacation opportunities which also can force booking well inadvance.

I am learning a lot from these posts -- most especially that there is no one-size fits all. I typically have been a self-insurer, telling myself that if I can pay $50K for a luxury trip, I can sustain the loss as well. Either way the money is gone.

This particular time, the time lapse is seven and a half months and the cost of the trip is way up there so I bought insurance through Travelex. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Short Answer: Hard Pass

Longer Answer: like many others (e.g. MikeFromTokyo), we tend to travel so last minute that the necessity for it asymptotically approaches zero.
​​​​​​​
offerendum and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
And, what about a companion who needs to stay and help out or someone who can't fly for a month but just needs a hotel?
In this case the costs for the hotel would be my minor issue.......

I think KatW (really) nailed it when she stated that no-one size fits all. There are always additionally more or less likely situations which canīt be insured (on a regular basis or at aceptable costs). There can be something hyper-important at work so I prefer to cancel a trip or if it comes worse there can be a divorce (OK, at least one can have fun...). All other things are a question of risk-tolerance and (most important) relation of risk vs. cost for protection.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you, aquamarinesteph. We are headed to wildlife lodges in British Columnia in September.

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I think you made a good call. When you have booked an expensive trip and know going into it that you have unpredictable health issues, you've done what you can to hedge your bets so that you should hopefully have a worry free vacation. (PS - did you ever say where you're headed? Not that it matters. I just love to live vicariously through others' travels while waiting on my next trip.)

Posting from a US based perspective, I always purchase some form of extra insurance depending on where I'm headed and how much the total cost of the trip will be. My medical insurance barely covers anything in the States, so purchasing additional health insurance for trips outside the country is a must. I also have Medjet, because it looks like the single most expensive factor of an accident or illness abroad would be the cost of returning home. You can always purchase a trip policy which includes repatriation costs. In fact, we did a land tour last year which required you to show that you had $200,000 of repatriation coverage.

But as far as affordable trip insurance here in the States - whether medical or trip interruption - is usually a guessing game. I've looked at the yearly policies which some companies offer, but I have yet to purchase one.

Anyway, I hope you and your other half have a wonderful trip!!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by KatW

Thank you, aquamarinesteph. We are headed to wildlife lodges in British Columnia in September.

OMG, that sounds FABULOUS! I've only visited Canada once, and it was another part of the country. I can't wait to go back and see BC. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.