FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Insurance for Luxury Travelers
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:01 pm
aquamarinesteph

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by KatW
Travel insurance: Yay or Nay?

We travel luxe most of the time and historically I have not availed myself of travel insurance and only once have suffered therefore. But I recently booked a VERY expensive trip and chose to insure it for a hefty premium.

And I feel like a chump. But I have good reasons to seek protection with so many big bucks at risk: my husband is in mid-stage dementia and I have lupus, albeit generally well behaved. So, I swallowed the bait this time. Would you?

I think you made a good call. When you have booked an expensive trip and know going into it that you have unpredictable health issues, you've done what you can to hedge your bets so that you should hopefully have a worry free vacation. (PS - did you ever say where you're headed? Not that it matters. I just love to live vicariously through others' travels while waiting on my next trip.)

Posting from a US based perspective, I always purchase some form of extra insurance depending on where I'm headed and how much the total cost of the trip will be. My medical insurance barely covers anything in the States, so purchasing additional health insurance for trips outside the country is a must. I also have Medjet, because it looks like the single most expensive factor of an accident or illness abroad would be the cost of returning home. You can always purchase a trip policy which includes repatriation costs. In fact, we did a land tour last year which required you to show that you had $200,000 of repatriation coverage.

But as far as affordable trip insurance here in the States - whether medical or trip interruption - is usually a guessing game. I've looked at the yearly policies which some companies offer, but I have yet to purchase one.

Anyway, I hope you and your other half have a wonderful trip!!