FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:58 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
almost certainly ernst was told buyout was not required

communication with guests is key, and ernst may also have been told not to

i also wonder about pulo, but that GM is not the same kind of aman veteran

2 examples close together, at 2 top remote aman, is not a good sign
Amanpulo can handle it though - it depends how it is done but if multiple rooms are restricted to one side only, it's doable. West Villa Clubhouse etc, keep it away from the main facilities.

Amankila can't handle a non-buyout wedding, and most certainly not anything at the central areas - that's one of the key features of the resort!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Amanpulo can handle it though - it depends how it is done but if multiple rooms are restricted to one side only, it's doable. West Villa Clubhouse etc, keep it away from the main facilities.
the reality >

mega.onemega.com/celebs-influencers-calling-recent-omega-amanpulo-event-amazing-ever-heres/
beach club...main pool...floating pavilion...tour of the island...spa and private beaches and pools to spot more Seamaster watches on display...beach and one long table for a dinner set up for 60 people...word Omega in neon lights blazed from the sea...fireworks display erupted at 11pm
thetravellingfoxes.com/a-luxury-event-at-amanpulo-pamalican-island-in-the-philippines/
local celebrities and influencers...3-day event
considering how many celebrities im wondering if they also occupied villas

also lots of photo/video teams

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 21, 2018 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:11 am

This was why I felt uneasy the first time I heard about this. I guess this is the new normal at Aman. Sad
FlyerEC and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by nmuva98
I was at Amankila just before the wedding. I left the day before they arrived and they had already closed the main restaurant to prep for the welcome dinner. Staff mentioned to us that it wasn't a buyout, which is unusual, and I commented that that sort of situation really has potential to impact other guests.

Surprising that they didn't offer you anything, given that Ernst & Shane are some of the best I've ever seen, at an Aman or elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jbeans
The wedding took place by the pool and bar area actually. The upper restaurant opened for dinner service a bit later (after 7pm). The reception dinner was by the pool as well. So the hotel guests that were eating at the restaurant could hear all the speeches and music very well.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the reality >

mega.onemega.com/celebs-influencers-calling-recent-omega-amanpulo-event-amazing-ever-heres/

thetravellingfoxes.com/a-luxury-event-at-amanpulo-pamalican-island-in-the-philippines/

considering how many celebrities im wondering if they also occupied villas

also lots of photo/video teams
Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
This was why I felt uneasy the first time I heard about this. I guess this is the new normal at Aman. Sad
After these posts including jbeans experience , thought I had better check with Ernst about the June situation before confirming our stay - seems all clear .
Old May 1, 2018, 4:38 am

Anyone made it to the AmanYY opening reception ?

We did not
Old May 1, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Anyone made it to the AmanYY opening reception ?

We did not

Yes we were there

Property looked great. But unfortunately pollution was grim. And I'm still at a loss as to why one would want to stay in Minhang.

The event commenced with some tightly choreographed (some might say overly drawn-out and possibly a bit pretentious) chinese drumming. Then speeches from Doronin, Kerry Hill, Christoph, and 2 others who I believe were the man responsible for moving the forest here, and a Minhang official musing upon how wonderful YY is for the area. After some more drumming, the real party started; they did a nice job with excellent and plentiful food and drink and good music all beautifully set out around the grounds. The grounds, food and drink need to be good though, as I can't think of any other reason to visit this part of SH

Last edited by Altocumulus; May 1, 2018 at 7:42 am
Old May 1, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Altocumulus
Yes we were there
Thanks
How was it ?
Did you stay over ?

Everything open / really ready ?
Good for day trip enroute from / to Fayun ? Or should one actually stay over - day / few days ?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: CX DM
everything was open (although we didn't check out the spa so not sure about that).

The property itself is lovely and obviously the trees etc have a lot of history so yes worth a stop-off to see it. However if you also want to see anything interesting that SH has to offer, it is not a good location - very far from areas of interest, and often with heavy traffic. Maybe Minhang has some secret wonderful features? If so I don't know about them...
Old May 1, 2018, 2:58 pm

Yes we were there

Property looked great. But unfortunately pollution was grim. And I'm still at a loss as to why one would want to stay in Minhang.

The event commenced with some tightly choreographed (some might say overly drawn-out and possibly a bit pretentious) chinese drumming. Then speeches from Doronin, Kerry Hill, Christoph, and 2 others who I believe were the man responsible for moving the forest here, and a Minhang official musing upon how wonderful YY is for the area. After some more drumming, the real party started; they did a nice job with excellent and plentiful food and drink and good music all beautifully set out around the grounds. The grounds, food and drink need to be good though, as I can't think of any other reason to visit this part of SH
everything was open (although we didn't check out the spa so not sure about that).

The property itself is lovely and obviously the trees etc have a lot of history so yes worth a stop-off to see it. However if you also want to see anything interesting that SH has to offer, it is not a good location - very far from areas of interest, and often with heavy traffic. Maybe Minhang has some secret wonderful features? If so I don't know about them...
Thanks again .
Hmm , am not surprised about the pollution too .
Am glad we could not make it after all as thought what you reported was just so . Think the invitation did not include accommodation either .

Will do the swing by when we go to Fayun .
Relieved we didn’t go late January / February either .

Altocumulus likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:38 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Just saw on Tom Dwan's twitter account that Sveti Stefan is hosting a poker tournament. A bit rich for my blood at 1MM HKG and cash games that are probably 20x+ as large. According to his Instagram account he's an amanjunkie.

Anybody planning on attending?
callmedtop likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

anyone know marc bittner, now at wana?

great reports are a good sign, especially under external GMs - fayun, giri, tokyo. beijing is aman veteran, ex fayun. last 4 GMs, in late 2017 (giri, tokyo, yara, wana) were external but came to aman before becoming GM. nice.

zoe >

a number of events with potential [residence buyers] are planned for the 2018 summer season, in collaboration with Aman and various agents.

For 2018, the operating season is scheduled to be extended to the end of November.

increase in hotel operations costs reflecting the increased occupancy of Amanzoe

Eight villas were included in the rental programme, including the one bedroom villa...Construction works commenced for two sold villas, namely villa 6 and 18, after the end of the 2017 summer season and will continue through the 2018 season. Delivery of these villas is expected in the season of 2019...one sale reservation [of 2BR]
2017 ~€3.8M+ 71% occupancy
2016 ~€2.4M+ 62% occupancy
2015 "€1.2M" 57% occupancy
2014 ~€600K
2013 / 2012

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 17, 2018 at 10:33 am
Old May 8, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I have a stay at Jiwo in July for an entry-level room. I need to move it forward a few days, but the first two categories are sold out for one of the nights. Does anyone have experience with Aman being flexible with this? We have no desire for a Pool Suite at Amanjiwo, and would hate to have to pay 2x our original room rate just to stay. Like I said, only one night the entry-level categories are sold out. For this stay I booked via Citi 4th night free, which I am somewhat regretting in this case given the additional help a TA could likely provide, but wanted to get people's thoughts before I reach out to the property directly.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Be careful with changing your travel plans directly. You may want to confirm with Citi that they will still honor your 4th night free if you make the change as opposed to them.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Be careful with changing your travel plans directly. You may want to confirm with Citi that they will still honor your 4th night free if you make the change as opposed to them.
Aman saves the day! I checked first with Citi, who said no problem if hotel makes change directly (just send them a new confirmation and call once sent to confirm), then got in touch with Aman, who made the change within a couple of hours. Got the new confirmation, called Citi, and they confirmed all is good on their end. Fantastic service from all parties.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Aman saves the day! I checked first with Citi, who said no problem if hotel makes change directly (just send them a new confirmation and call once sent to confirm), then got in touch with Aman, who made the change within a couple of hours. Got the new confirmation, called Citi, and they confirmed all is good on their end. Fantastic service from all parties.
Glad to hear. Amanjiwo is fantastic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.