FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by ridefar
Does anybody have current names and email for GMs at Amantaka and Amanoi. PM would be lovely if you do. TIA.
Yes will PM you
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:54 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by summertime
there is nothing wrong as long as its a buyout.
This.

I don't think Omega were 'hosted'. The social media influencers may have been, but it would have been from Omega's side (and thus paid for) rather than Amanpulo's.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

are you saying aman is doing press release after it? if so that'd be the change under new ownership, rather than buyouts

as noted, one problem is large groups etc when not buyout, which was an issue even at aman prior to current ownership

increasing occupancy and different guests is another issue, but certain original amans will never be flashy hard product etc
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:06 am

Haven't seen any press releases from Aman's side so I think this is purely from Omega's camp.
I agree with the posters who have said that if this is done as a buyout, it would be more acceptable. I'm just not certain it was the case but will give them the benefit.
Large groups as long as it's a private party is for some irrational reason not as bad for me. It's when I see it as something corporate and transactional that I get turned off. I suppose it's because I view Amans purely as escapes and vacation destinations other than places to get some sort of business accomplished.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

corporate buyouts are not new at aman nor any other small resort properties

one change (over time) is simply the internet, in terms of content like linked above (from omega)

although yes, if those corporate buyouts have press onsite, that was likely rare at aman in past
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by ray1022

Yes will PM you
Originally Posted by ridefar
Does anybody have current names and email for GMs at Amantaka and Amanoi. PM would be lovely if you do. TIA.
ray1022 should have sent PM by now . Let me know if you like any more information , ridefar .
FYI
Joy , HM , at N’oi is very helpful .
One of long serving Nusa team , is now at Taka too . She is another Aman gem .
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Combining this with the main Aman 2018 thread.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:14 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
Haven't seen any press releases from Aman's side so I think this is purely from Omega's camp.
I agree with the posters who have said that if this is done as a buyout, it would be more acceptable. I'm just not certain it was the case but will give them the benefit.
Large groups as long as it's a private party is for some irrational reason not as bad for me. It's when I see it as something corporate and transactional that I get turned off. I suppose it's because I view Amans purely as escapes and vacation destinations other than places to get some sort of business accomplished.
I haven't seen Aman/Amanpulo promote it in any way - it looks like a buy out. Amanpuri has done buy outs and corporate events for years.
Fliar likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Aman ( service ) is where you can and are ‘ expected ‘ to ask for literally anything , within legal means Nothing - no requests - really shocks or surprises teams at any Amans .
Even if it is a minute walk , have Aman assist , you never know what you can / may encounter in between . They will only be too pleased to help .
Welcome to the Aman life
Hah this is awesome . I'm going to start planning all the outrageous requests I should be making ...
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
I just came across this bit of news that Omega had a corporate event at Amanpulo https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/n...a-at-amanpulo/
I wish it were a bad April Fool's joke but it's not.

Could I ask if this is normal practice and how the rest of you feel about this?
Amanpulo was the first Aman that I visited and what started my love for the brand and their philosophy. Aman for me means exclusivity and the "residential" feel of being the guest of a friend with resources rather than of a big corporate entity. In the past, I'd always find only like-minded travelers who placed premiums on privacy and discretion. That's the main reason I would choose them over a nearby Four Seasons, which would almost always be able to provide everything else at the same level.

To find out that they now celebrate product launches where media personalities (and social media influencers ) are invited and handed out press kits is very disappointing. It feels completely off and now removes what I thought was a key differentiating factor.

In addition, why Omega? Don't brands usually associate with "likes."
The hierarchy of luxury hotel groupings established in this forum goes
Aman, FS
Oetker, Belmond, etc.
Shangri-la, Intercontinental

Correspondingly, the Swatch Group brands go
Breguet
Blancpain
My Omega

If you flip through the Four Seasons Magazine, you'll always run into ads for Patek Philippe. Since they both claim and are widely acknowledged as being at the top of the pyramid, it makes sense.
I believe that brand association with Omega devalues Aman. Brilliant move of course for Omega's executives who are able to raise themselves but shouldn't there be some restriction here?
My parents were staying at the same time the Omega group was there, for their last few nights. They had blocked off all the casitas on the island, but the villas were still available to other guests. It didn't bother my parents a bit and they had few running with the Omega crowd. Personally it doesnt bother me that a company host an event at a resort, in the same way I might want to host my wedding there.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:05 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
While I don’t want to be there when a corporate event is held, this sounds more like a buyout to me—in which case I could care less.

This sounds more like a personal issue of prestige for you rather than anything that in any way impacts Aman or its quality or reputation.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thanks TheBrownPrince and synd for posting, many here really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by synd
My parents were staying at the same time the Omega group was there, for their last few nights. They had blocked off all the casitas on the island, but the villas were still available to other guests. It didn't bother my parents a bit and they had few running with the Omega crowd.
that is a real problem, especially if they did not alert guests. i guess theoretically it could be a case of past events not being described here in detail. reaction to non-buyouts has been almost entirely (extremely) negative here, and that was not even at aman but at properties many times the size of aman.

some tiny properties limit number of rooms etc a group can book, guess not the case at aman now.

makes me feel it is a requirement (for me) to book very last minute, rather than just preferring to.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 2, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by synd
My parents were staying at the same time the Omega group was there, for their last few nights. They had blocked off all the casitas on the island, but the villas were still available to other guests. It didn't bother my parents a bit and they had few running with the Omega crowd. Personally it doesnt bother me that a company host an event at a resort, in the same way I might want to host my wedding there.
Synd, thank you for clarifying the situation. Whilst I'm really disappointed to have my concern confirmed that it was not a total buyout, I'm happy to know that your parents encountered no problems and managed to have a wonderful time. :-)

Originally Posted by bhrubin
This sounds more like a personal issue of prestige for you rather than anything that in any way impacts Aman or its quality or reputation.
Bhrubin, I wish it were just an issue of prestige but I consider it one of privacy as well. Press people and commercial bloggers were invited. Quite a few well known people check into Amans (and praise them for their discretion). Some exposure risk is to be expected of course, even at other very high-end properties... but I was under the illusion that Aman was different.

Last edited by TheBrownPrince; Apr 3, 2018 at 3:16 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

previously >
pulo - more than 20 casitas requires buyout (40 casitas + 11 villas)
galla - 20 guests (10 rooms) requires buyout (29 rooms)
jena - "traditional Moroccan wedding celebration" requires buyout (39 villas)
yara >
2 to 30 guests. However, for larger events (up to 220 guests), the resort can be booked in its entirety at certain times of the year. Please note, due to the small size of our resort, a minimum three-night stay for 80 per cent of the attending guests is required in order to hold a larger wedding at Amanyara.
galla on another website >
weddings for up to 20 guests, though at least 10 rooms must be booked. Over 20 guests requires a buy-out of the hotel, with a minimum of 23 rooms required

perhaps someone here will hear how pulo handled it / guests
GM also makes a difference, even when decision by corporate

Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended

need to know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.