Programs: some
Welcome to FT, Knolly!
Knolly likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Knolly
I don't know if any of that is helpful (I'm very new to FT) but since I saw this thread I thought I'd share!
Welcome to FT! I’m not new, and I found your comments and observations very helpful. We will be heading to Japan in a few weeks, and your comments were helpful, intriguing, and actually made me happier with our itinerary.

Thanks so much!
Knolly likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:55 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by jbeans
Just finished a 4-night stay at Amankila, and while it was certainly a nice experience, I must say I don't think it's as next-level-amazing as some Aman fans make it out to be. I stayed at Viceroy in Ubud on the same trip, and thought it was better than Amankila.

Pros:
- very friendly service
- serene (mostly) environment
- great boat trip/snorkeling excursion

Cons:
- had a big/noisy wedding take place during our stay, while the GM was apologetic, nothing extra was offered to compensate.
- we were asked for our room number pretty much everywhere (at the pool, at the restaurant, etc.), I thought it was an Aman thing to not have to provide that?
- we did a few excursions during out stay, while the snorkeling trip was by far my favorite, the lunch in the bale on the hills was hugely disappointing. for over 1mm idr per person, they drove 10 minutes to a hut in the mountain, provided us with a small lunch box with 1 summer roll, 1 small pomelo salad, 1 slice of brownie, water and soft drinks. we ate and they drove us back, all done within 1 hr of time. I get that things are not cheap at Amans, but that was a shockingly underwhelming experience at that price point no matter how you look at it.
- hardware is obviously very dated. the windows and doors do not close tightly, and have gaps large enough for geckos and various insects to come in and out freely.

Overall it was a nice experience, but not anything I'd go out of my way to experience again. I feel that other 5-star luxury properties are just as good if not better.
- That is very unfortunate re: the room number. We just returned from Amanoi and were never asked our room number once.
- I very much like that bale, but I reckon it's best served in this manner: trek before/after bale, light breakfast, return to Amankila, enjoy a swim, enjoy a second breakfast. For lunch/dinner, the helipad is much, much nicer option with views of both Mount Agung and the sea.
- Amanoi is brand new and we had a couple of resident geckos, including one that was camped in our bathroom since turndown till next morning - didn't budget. There were a couple near our bed. No place is free from geckos/insects in the tropics, especially in Asia (less insects in Amanoi though - very dry climate, although a LOT of lizards/reptiles). It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you learn to live with them, they can be fun. I named my gecko. Sadly it was gone the next day after housekeeping came over.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:53 pm

Ah yes the Cantonese speeches we heard confirm that. :P To be honest, it wasn't a huge deal for us, just a bit surprised that not even a drink was offered to make up for the fact that we weren't able to access the pool or the bar for the entire day.
I was at Amankila just before the wedding. I left the day before they arrived and they had already closed the main restaurant to prep for the welcome dinner. Staff mentioned to us that it wasn't a buyout, which is unusual, and I commented that that sort of situation really has potential to impact other guests.

Surprising that they didn't offer you anything, given that Ernst & Shane are some of the best I've ever seen, at an Aman or elsewhere.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:31 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by nmuva98
I was at Amankila just before the wedding. I left the day before they arrived and they had already closed the main restaurant to prep for the welcome dinner. Staff mentioned to us that it wasn't a buyout, which is unusual, and I commented that that sort of situation really has potential to impact other guests.

Surprising that they didn't offer you anything, given that Ernst & Shane are some of the best I've ever seen, at an Aman or elsewhere.
They closed the restaurant? Where did they have other guests dine?

I suppose they have two dining areas so maybe they had others dine in the lower area?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
- ... I named my gecko. Sadly it was gone the next day after housekeeping came over.
There was a gecko that came in and out through the crack between the front sliding doors at night time, my husband named him Sebastian.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by A4K
They closed the restaurant? Where did they have other guests dine?

I suppose they have two dining areas so maybe they had others dine in the lower area?
Yes--they closed the top restaurant (the ones that usually used for breakfast & dinner), and moved everything to the lower floor by the pool. So I did breakfast there, but it was my last day there. Assume dinner service was also there.

Shane said they were doing the wedding welcome dinner in the main restaurant. My assumption is that the wedding itself and reception were all by the beach club, either late afternoon or evening. It's the best venue for that anyway, and it doesn't really impact the other guests because that are is pretty unused in the evening.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by nmuva98
Yes--they closed the top restaurant (the ones that usually used for breakfast & dinner), and moved everything to the lower floor by the pool. So I did breakfast there, but it was my last day there. Assume dinner service was also there.

Shane said they were doing the wedding welcome dinner in the main restaurant. My assumption is that the wedding itself and reception were all by the beach club, either late afternoon or evening. It's the best venue for that anyway, and it doesn't really impact the other guests because that are is pretty unused in the evening.
The wedding took place by the pool and bar area actually. The upper restaurant opened for dinner service a bit later (after 7pm). The reception dinner was by the pool as well. So the hotel guests that were eating at the restaurant could hear all the speeches and music very well.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:45 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The wedding took place by the pool and bar area actually. The upper restaurant opened for dinner service a bit later (after 7pm). The reception dinner was by the pool as well. So the hotel guests that were eating at the restaurant could hear all the speeches and music very well.
I'd be asking for a reduced room rate for the days during which this occurred to be honest, or at the very least equivalent compensation in return. You were deprived of one of the resort's key features if the wedding took place by the pool (and wasn't a buy out), which meant guests could not use the pool.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Inacceptable for hotel guests as well as wedding guests. A real shame for the hotel.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: some
We had our (small) wedding at Amankila and had the beach to ourselves from about 17:00 onwards, then the lower pool after that for dinner. No music/partying or anything like that but obviously guests would not have been able to use the restaurant by the lower pool that night. (We only had a few rooms so definitely no buy-out). This was about 7 years ago.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fliar, i presume they didnt offer central area for your use, as they did for recent wedding

blocking guests from central areas is especially bad when it can be part of aman concept
Fliar likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:19 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
I would be pretty unhappy if this was going on while I was there and was not proactively offered anything as accommodation.

This is just me being cynical of the "new" Aman, but I wonder if there is a message from the top to reduce the money spent on service recoveries.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by A4K
I would be pretty unhappy if this was going on while I was there and was not proactively offered anything as accommodation.

This is just me being cynical of the "new" Aman, but I wonder if there is a message from the top to reduce the money spent on service recoveries.
Well there is a message from top about profitability, likely service recovery is a small factor but to be considered. But when a manager just comps comps comps all the time it either means she/he is either bad at her/his job or there is something wrong with operations. In this case I think they should have required a buy-out.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

almost certainly ernst was told buyout was not required

communication with guests is key, and ernst may also have been told not to

i also wonder about pulo, but that GM is not the same kind of aman veteran

2 examples close together, at 2 top remote aman, is not a good sign
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 20, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.