FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:04 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
No way. Noi and SS are much much better.
​​​​​​​I second that- Amanoi is terrific. I’m also shocked to hear all these negative comments, especially with Sean in charge as GM in Sri Lanka.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott: Platinum/LT Silver, AS: MVP
Originally Posted by ejg930
Had a stay scheduled at Amankila in May - my first at any Aman. Unfortunately, I received an email from the GM today that they've accepted a booking for the whole resort overlapping the first night of what was to be my stay. Ernst asked if there was any flexibility in my schedule, which there's not. He seemed willing to do whatever it took to keep me satisfied - trouble is, I don't know what would make me satisfied in this situation. I've had this booked for months. I could ask to stay at Amandari the first night, but for a 4 night stay that seems like it would cut into the relaxation quite a bit.

Anyone else ever experience this? What would you recommend I do?
To update the thread on this, Ernst offered me the following (note that I had originally booked a Pool Suite at Amankila):
  • Confirmed Pool Suite at Amandari for night 1, with top priority for a further space-available upgrade
  • Confirmed upgrade to Kilasari Suite for the remaining nights at Amankila
  • Complimentary 1hr massage
  • Complimentary inter-hotel transfer, with packing/unpacking service
He didn't offer, nor did I request, a comped first night. Overall, I'm happy with this outcome. Kilasari Suite seems like a significant step up over even the Pool Suites, so I'm really looking forward to the stay now.
FlyerEC and Musken like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
To update the thread on this, Ernst offered me the following (note that I had originally booked a Pool Suite at Amankila):
  • Confirmed Pool Suite at Amandari for night 1, with top priority for a further space-available upgrade
He didn't offer, nor did I request, a comped first night. Overall, I'm happy with this outcome. Kilasari Suite seems like a significant step up over even the Pool Suites, so I'm really looking forward to the stay now.
We stayed in the Kilasari Suite at Amankila and loved it. If you want to know the specific location of this suite (and the other suites), see one of my previous posts (link below) where I created an image map with arrows pointing out the suites.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16090920-post35.html

Glad they came through with an offer that is acceptable to you...although I would have expected a bit more (the room at Amandari and the transfers are a given and the least they should do). All they are really doing extra for the inconvenience is upgrading to the Kilasari Suite and giving the 1 hour massage. I would at least ask for a special dinner or excursion on top of what they are already offering.
FlyerEC, bhrubin and ejg930 like this.

Last edited by ray1022; Apr 9, 2018 at 3:10 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:38 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
We also stayed in Kilasari during our Amankila stay. One of my favourite all time suites: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/aman...-hotel-review/
ejg930 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Ah well, the reservation team at Amankila have the same offer at the website - if the stay begins June 2nd and all nights must be in the Ocean Suite.

Originally Posted by Ericka
You can contact the property directly. There might be a workaround.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Contact your agent to help or message the property direct. They may still have units they are not showing online, or sometimes units are kept on hold by agents then released.
Originally Posted by mongobot
Had been considering booking Amankila from June 2nd - 5th or 6th using the "Undiscovered Indonesia" rate @ $550 per night for the Garden Suite.

This rate was available for all nights until recently but now it looks like the 2nd is sold out of the Garden suite with only Ocean and above available. So currently, if I want to book the "Undiscovered Indonesia" rate including June 2nd the minimum has to be the Ocean Suite for all nights at $750 which I'd prefer not to do. I suppose I could wait and hope one of the garden suites becomes available on the 2nd or change my plans and stay elsewhere for the first night but I'd rather not have to move.

Any suggestions for a workaround?
*formerly known as konoyaro

Last edited by mongobot; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:09 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:02 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I know I argued for a compensated first night, but I would be happy with this as well. An upgrade to one of the signature suites, even though it is only one category in your case, is really something special. I guess you would have gotten your 1 night free had you asked, but then probably not such an upgrade. This solution will make it a very, very special stay. Enjoy!
ejg930 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:40 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by mongobot
Ah well, the reservation team at Amankila have the same offer at the website - if the stay begins June 2nd and all nights must be in the Ocean Suite.
*formerly known as konoyaro
The room category may just be full in that case!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:29 pm

Just finished a 4-night stay at Amankila, and while it was certainly a nice experience, I must say I don't think it's as next-level-amazing as some Aman fans make it out to be. I stayed at Viceroy in Ubud on the same trip, and thought it was better than Amankila.

Pros:
- very friendly service
- serene (mostly) environment
- great boat trip/snorkeling excursion

Cons:
- had a big/noisy wedding take place during our stay, while the GM was apologetic, nothing extra was offered to compensate.
- we were asked for our room number pretty much everywhere (at the pool, at the restaurant, etc.), I thought it was an Aman thing to not have to provide that?
- we did a few excursions during out stay, while the snorkeling trip was by far my favorite, the lunch in the bale on the hills was hugely disappointing. for over 1mm idr per person, they drove 10 minutes to a hut in the mountain, provided us with a small lunch box with 1 summer roll, 1 small pomelo salad, 1 slice of brownie, water and soft drinks. we ate and they drove us back, all done within 1 hr of time. I get that things are not cheap at Amans, but that was a shockingly underwhelming experience at that price point no matter how you look at it.
- hardware is obviously very dated. the windows and doors do not close tightly, and have gaps large enough for geckos and various insects to come in and out freely.

Overall it was a nice experience, but not anything I'd go out of my way to experience again. I feel that other 5-star luxury properties are just as good if not better.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by ray1022

We stayed in the Kilasari Suite at Amankila and loved it. If you want to know the specific location of this suite (and the other suites), see one of my previous posts (link below) where I created an image map with arrows pointing out the suites.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16090920-post35.html

Glad they came through with an offer that is acceptable to you...although I would have expected a bit more (the room at Amandari and the transfers are a given and the least they should do). All they are really doing extra for the inconvenience is upgrading to the Kilasari Suite and giving the 1 hour massage. I would at least ask for a special dinner or excursion on top of what they are already offering.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
We also stayed in Kilasari during our Amankila stay. One of my favourite all time suites: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/aman...-hotel-review/
Originally Posted by jbeans
Just finished a 4-night stay at Amankila, and while it was certainly a nice experience, I must say I don't think it's as next-level-amazing as some Aman fans make it out to be. I stayed at Viceroy in Ubud on the same trip, and thought it was better than Amankila.

Pros:
- very friendly service
Cons:
- had a big/noisy wedding take place during our stay, while the GM was apologetic, nothing extra was offered to compensate.
- we were asked for our room number pretty much everywhere (at the pool, at the restaurant, etc.), I thought it was an Aman thing to not have to provide that?
- we did a few excursions during out stay, while the snorkeling trip was by far my favorite, the lunch in the bale on the hills was hugely disappointing. for over 1mm idr per person, they drove 10 minutes to a hut in the mountain, provided us with a small lunch box with 1 summer roll, 1 small pomelo salad, 1 slice of brownie, water and soft drinks. we ate and they drove us back, all done within 1 hr of time. I get that things are not cheap at Amans, but that was a shockingly underwhelming experience at that price point no matter how you look at it.
- hardware is obviously very dated. the windows and doors do not close tightly, and have gaps large enough for geckos and various insects to come in and out freely.

Overall it was a nice experience, but not anything I'd go out of my way to experience again. I feel that other 5-star luxury properties are just as good if not better.

Well , ejg930 , you happened to have your dates clash with a ‘ buyout ‘ resulting from a Nusa wedding being moved to Kila ! Fortunately for you , Kilasari is available !! FYI , this upgrade is rare
jbeans , sadly , it wasn’t the case for you . Ernst L , GM , is actually very accommodating . Perhaps the wedding ( guests ) , as described by you , are causing the staff to act out of the ordinary as a precaution . Hopefully , their uncharacteristic style , is not from the sadness of Nusa closing still prevailing too . Very raw in February , indeed .. It was rather heart wrenching for the Indon Amans family .

The suites we have been in. , did not have issues with windows , etc . Geckos , etc are everywhere since this is the tropics . Did you encounter the huge noisy ones ?
You should have voiced your disappointment with Ernst .

Hopefully , you saw the Kila insect repellent , think the best concoction of all the Bali Amans - forgot to stock up on the Nusa ones ..
Must remember to check with Ian W or David G what happened to those .

‘Looking forward to our return when it gets marginally cooler .

Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic

Pros:
- very friendly service

Cons:

Had a friend who was at Kila over the weekend and mentioned the big wedding. Supposedly, it was a HK triad wedding. GM mentioned plenty a buy-outs from Chinese visitors recently.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Had a friend who was at Kila over the weekend and mentioned the big wedding. Supposedly, it was a HK triad wedding. GM mentioned plenty a buy-outs from Chinese visitors recently.
My .. my .. hmm , better check with Ernst about my stay then
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Ah yes the Cantonese speeches we heard confirm that. :P To be honest, it wasn't a huge deal for us, just a bit surprised that not even a drink was offered to make up for the fact that we weren't able to access the pool or the bar for the entire day.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:36 am

Recently came back from my 2 week honeymoon in Japan, which included three nights at Amanemu. I can't think of a single negative thing to say. Beautiful grounds (don't eat outside though, we saw firsthand there's a hawk that is always looking for a snack), beautiful room, great food, staff set up some great experiences, etc. My wife got really ill while we were there and the staff was incredibly accommodating, always was checking in to see how she was feeling, and drove me into town to get some medicine (as well as coming in with my to communicate what I needed with the pharmacist).

We stayed at five different hotels in the trip and Amanemu was definitely the nicest. I confess it likely won't be the most memorable, since I think that'll be reserved for one of the Ryokans we stayed at, and Amanemu is definitely more Western, but it was a wonderful time. Interestingly enough we were surprised that there were a lot of Westerners at Amanemu, since at the previous three hotels we stayed at we were the only Westerners there, but I'm guessing due to it being an Aman resort it attracts more of an international crowd.

Anyhow, I don't know if any of that is helpful (I'm very new to FT) but since I saw this thread I thought I'd share!
Fliar, FlyerEC, Musken and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

big/noisy wedding take place during our stay

lunch in the bale on the hills was hugely disappointing. for over 1mm idr per person, they drove 10 minutes to a hut in the mountain, provided us with a small lunch box with 1 summer roll, 1 small pomelo salad, 1 slice of brownie, water and soft drinks. we ate and they drove us back, all done within 1 hr
weren't able to access the pool or the bar for the entire day.
it was Ernst you met and talked to ?

clearly very bad changes re buyout policies

is lunch in hills different from BBQ in hills ?
ah, BBQ in hill/jungle/etc is evening/dinner

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 13, 2018 at 8:55 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
it was Ernst you met and talked to ?

clearly very bad changes re buyout policies

is lunch in hills different from BBQ in hills ?
ah, BBQ in hill/jungle/etc is evening/dinner
Yes we met and spoke to Ernst. He was a nice guy. We made some small talks, and he apologized about the noises from the wedding.

In hindsight, I should've asked for specifics on the lunch in the hills prior, I just assumed that for 1mm idr/person it would be an actual lunch rather than 2 small bites. Interestingly the same food setup was also provided as a snack during our snorkeling trip.

Overall we were satisfied with the stay, and wouldn't rule out checking out more Amans in the future if we happen to be around one. Thinking about maybe Amanjena when we visit Marrakech next year. My impression was just that it wasn't above and beyond what we've experienced at other 5-star hotels.

Last edited by jbeans; Apr 13, 2018 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.