FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:17 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
While it's not ideal, owing to its size and facilities, Amanpulo is doable as not a full buyout (of course other guests should be made aware of the large party), either the casitas only or the villas only.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Aman Le Mélézin, Courchevel 1850

Aman Le Mélézin

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Aman Le Mélézin

Rue de Bellecôte Saint-Bon-Tarentaise, France 73120

Aman Le Mélézin, Courchevel 1850 (23 Photos)

Aman Le Mélézin

Check In

A smooth pick up from Geneva airport and a comfortable 2 and half drive to Courchevel 1850. From the outside the hotel is beautiful a cross between a fortress and an Alpine lodge. Aman-Le-Melezin-2-9-of-23.jpgCourchevel (1 of 1)-5.jpg

We were welcomed on arrival by the general manager and taken straight up to our room. The welcome was very warm and check in swift but I was a little surprised not to offered welcome drinks.

Room

We booked the Chambre Junior through our Virtuoso agent and at 22 square metres, I had managed my expectations for a small room. But a huge surprise on arrival we'd been upgraded to the Suite Le Mélézin, the very top room!! 

The hotel has undergone a recent refurbishment so the decor is impeccable. It has an alpine feel with wood panelling whilst also being chic and elegant. 

A large living room has a fireplace, dining table, big screen TV, and several relaxation areas. The fridge is a little sparse - we didn't ask for it to be filled but I imagine nothing is a problem. A balcony over looks the piste. 

Aman Le Melezin (2 of 32).jpgAman Le Melezin (11 of 32).jpgAman Le Melezin (12 of 32).jpgAman Le Melezin (13 of 32).jpg

The bedroom is also sizeable and beautiful is design with a South Facing balcony. There is another big screen TV and automatic blinds. Turn down was excellent with a gift in the evening and evian water replenished. Aman Le Melezin (3 of 32).jpgAman Le Melezin (4 of 32).jpg

There are two bathrooms, one long with double sinks, bath and shower. The other a smaller shower room over looking the piste. There are multiple wardobes and dressing areas. 

Aman Le Melezin (5 of 32).jpgAman Le Melezin (6 of 32).jpgAman Le Melezin (7 of 32).jpg

Service

Nothing was too much trouble. Concierge booked us the best restaurants in town and changed the booking several times when we needed them. They were able to get me a hairdresser at very short notice. Concierge were also personal and personable. 

Staff in the bar and restaurant were also impeccable. 

As a ski in / ski out hotel, there's a dedicated ski room with ski butlers who will sort all your equipment for you. Concierge will sort out ski passes and acitvities. Aman Le Melezin 2 (3 of 23).jpg

Dining

There is one restaurant Nama, which serve Japanese food. We enjoyed the food but have had better Japanese. Perhaps this is where the Cheval Blanc beats the Aman as they have an outstanding three Michelin star restaurant. 

However the intimate atmosphere, decor and service were excellent. 

Breakfast at Nama was wonderful with an excellent bakery basket, a pre breakfast nibble and an excellent a la carte. The restaurant overlooks the slopes. 

Aman Le Melezin 2 (8 of 13).jpgCourchevel (8 of 18).jpg

Note that the hotel is half board. Nama is included as a half board option as well as other local restaurants. 

The lounge and bar areas are also beautiful and perfect to enjoy and aperitif or snack but the most beautiful part is the terrace overlooking the slopes. 

Aman Le Melezin 2 (13 of 23).jpgAman Le Melezin (25 of 32).jpg

Unbeatable location. Ski in / ski out on the Bellecote piste. It's also only about ten minutes walk into Courchevel village and an easy drive to any of the restaurants that we visited. 

Overall

Though I didn't quite fall in love with skiing, I definitely fell in love with the hotel. It's only my second Aman but there are more on the horizon!Aman Le Melezin (23 of 32).jpgAman Le Melezin (24 of 32).jpgAman Le Melezin 2 (1 of 23).jpgCourchevel (2 of 18).jpgCourchevel (13 of 18).jpg

Ski

It was my first time skiing but my husband was very impressed withe facilities and equipment. 

Spa

The spa is new and across two floors. There are five brand new treatment rooms spread over two floors of the hotel as well as a sauna, steam room, plunge pool, full size pool, yoga and fitness facilities. 

Treatments are designed to restore after a day of skiing. If I redesigned this hotel the only thing I'd change about it would be to make the pool outdoor. Aman Le Melezin 2 (17 of 23).jpgAman Le Melezin 2 (18 of 23).jpg

Aman Le Mélézin, Courchevel 1850

Would you like to write a review on the Aman Le Mélézin?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Aman is in Switzerland? Wow. Had no idea. Very tempting pictures and a great detailed review up there.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:34 am

Thank you so much!! Very sorry I should have been more clear. We flew into Geneva but the hotel is about three hours drive away from the airport and it's actually in France.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Not an oft reviewed Aman that one! Thanks for the review and nice pics.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:57 pm

Thank you so much for this, really a treat to find a recent opinion on Le Mélézin! Merci!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:47 pm

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. If you want even more pictures and details, you can read my full blog post:

Aman Le Mélézin, Courchevel 1850: The Ultimate Ski Hotel - SilverSpoon London
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
This is in France, but Geneva is the closest major airport
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Thanks for your review... I've always wondering about that property...

alright I'm going to ask it.. you received a 10 level upgrade if I'm counting right... that just seems absurd.... am I the only one who thinks that? This isn't meant to be a personal attack but does this perhaps seem to be Aman catering to those busy on social media/bloggers?

FDW
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Had been considering booking Amankila from June 2nd - 5th or 6th using the "Undiscovered Indonesia" rate @ $550 per night for the Garden Suite.

This rate was available for all nights until recently but now it looks like the 2nd is sold out of the Garden suite with only Ocean and above available. So currently, if I want to book the "Undiscovered Indonesia" rate including June 2nd the minimum has to be the Ocean Suite for all nights at $750 which I'd prefer not to do. I suppose I could wait and hope one of the garden suites becomes available on the 2nd or change my plans and stay elsewhere for the first night but I'd rather not have to move.

Any suggestions for a workaround?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:23 pm

It's certainly a fair question and I have also seen bloggers on social media staying at Aman hotels.

However I can't speak for them. This was a personal stay - a holiday for myself and my husband and it wasn't related to my blog. The only way they could have even known is if my Virtuoso agent told them.

My Virtuoso agent told me that had spoken to the GM but I have no idea if he mentioned it. When I asked the staff at the hotel why we'd got such an amazing upgrade, I was told 'we do what we can' with a smile.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:13 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by konoyaro
Had been considering booking Amankila from June 2nd - 5th or 6th using the "Undiscovered Indonesia" rate @ $550 per night for the Garden Suite.

This rate was available for all nights until recently but now it looks like the 2nd is sold out of the Garden suite with only Ocean and above available. So currently, if I want to book the "Undiscovered Indonesia" rate including June 2nd the minimum has to be the Ocean Suite for all nights at $750 which I'd prefer not to do. I suppose I could wait and hope one of the garden suites becomes available on the 2nd or change my plans and stay elsewhere for the first night but I'd rather not have to move.

You can contact the property directly. There might be a workaround.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thanks for your review... I've always wondering about that property...

alright I'm going to ask it.. you received a 10 level upgrade if I'm counting right... that just seems absurd.... am I the only one who thinks that? This isn't meant to be a personal attack but does this perhaps seem to be Aman catering to those busy on social media/bloggers?

FDW
Multi level upgrades not impossible although Aman have started cutting down on them lately. Having said that, perhaps also more likely at resorts that have a very discrete number of categories vs just ~3-4 (before you hit villas).

Originally Posted by konoyaro

Contact your agent to help or message the property direct. They may still have units they are not showing online, or sometimes units are kept on hold by agents then released.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Apr 5, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Thanks for the replies, Ericka & chinmoylad
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: some
Thanks for the pictures - as I don't ski and try not to be in Europe in the winter (when it's summer here in NZ!) it's on property that will probably stay on my list a long time...Looks fabulous!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.