Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:23 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Aman Shanghai is officially Amanyangyun, which means "the nourishing of clouds". Autumn 2017 open date, but from what I've heard, that's more like December.
Looks like the website is active:
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanyangyun

What I don't understand is the antique villas vs club suites. Website says antique villas are composed of 4 suites- are those the club suites? or are they 24 club suites located elsewhere?

FDW

EDIT: think I've figured it. Antique villas are 4 bedroom villas. Not sure why I'm so thick.

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Feb 2, 2017 at 3:01 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

What I don't understand is the antique villas vs club suites. Website says antique villas are composed of 4 suites- are those the club suites? or are they 24 club suites located elsewhere?

FDW
Thank you for the heads up, FlyingDoctorwu. I would love to have the coordinates of the resort to see where it actually is. Not yet on Google Maps.

Another Aman all very exciting, yet it is in China and I'm afraid service will be en par with other Chinese Amans -- difficult.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:54 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by scented
Thank you for the heads up, FlyingDoctorwu. I would love to have the coordinates of the resort to see where it actually is. Not yet on Google Maps.

Another Aman all very exciting, yet it is in China and I'm afraid service will be en par with other Chinese Amans -- difficult.
Yep - much like Amanfayun, looks like a stunning restoration project that will be partly let down by the service.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by scented

See the link below for the location of the pilot structure at Amanyangyun. Do note that the satellite images are not up to date, so there's nothing of the forthcoming resort to see from the map, however, the camphor forest is visible to the north and south of the main building (i.e. the greenbelt that runs along the canal).

https://goo.gl/maps/CYSLWYHPxuq
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by carlosf_
See the link below for the location of the pilot structure at Amanyangyun. Do note that the satellite images are not up to date, so there's nothing of the forthcoming resort to see from the map, however, the camphor forest is visible to the north and south of the main building (i.e. the greenbelt that runs along the canal).

https://goo.gl/maps/CYSLWYHPxuq
Thank you, just what I was waiting for!

So Amanyangyun is about an hour outside of Shanghai (give or take 1 hour knowing the traffic there) and also an hour away from PVG airport. Seems the resort is between what seems a Beverly Park-esque gated community and an industrial zone?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Yep - much like Amanfayun, looks like a stunning restoration project that will be partly let down by the service.
Maybe but my experience Amanfayun and Lijiang was fantastic....
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:48 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Loved Amanfayun and had very good stay/service/food there
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

FDW

EDIT: think I've figured it. Antique villas are 4 bedroom villas. Not sure why I'm so thick.
Thanks FDW .
Amanjunkies should have received email notifications by now .
Mine came in couple days ago ( asking me to register interest for updates before you posted ) ?? !!

Definitely not old Aman style / way of announcing " new arrivals " .
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

aman shanghai owner seems solid, and they have residences
beijing is BTG(govt), fayun is JV with govt, not sure re lijiang

thereserve-asia.com/home-is-where-the-hotel-is/
Originally Posted by Jean-Michel Gathy
[amanwana] wasn’t the first resort I designed, but it was the first that actually got built. I guess there are new technologies now that weren’t part of the world when we were designing back then. But fundamentally the vision of a remote ‘camping site’ remains – I’ve been back a lot and still like it. In fact, I am still designing things with similarities. Some of my clients specifically request it.

Before a few years ago there were very few exclusive resorts. Aman was really the first – although some may claim otherwise. There may have been luxury stand-alone hotels before but Aman was the first one to say they wanted super exclusivity but also to be a chain.

Nobody can say they invented it, but when Aman started we glorified the idea of upgrading a plunge pool into a small swimming pool. They keep getting bigger and bigger now too – we have pushed the envelope. I am uncomfortable with saying I invented anything – I create ideas, re-question materials for certain functions, but I didn’t invent these things.

I relax a hundred times better in hotels I haven’t designed. I criticise everything when it’s my own. My wife refuses to go to my hotels – she hates it. People talk to me, ask to go for lunch, tell me what they like, what they hate – I’m never free! I like it when I go somewhere else, I book under my wife’s name so that nobody is expecting me and I really enoy it.
above re aman, below re travel
Originally Posted by Jean-Michel Gathy
I go on safari every year with my wife in Botswana, Kenya, Zambia – I’ve been to 49 different camps!

Huka Lodge in New Zealand
Mombo...Zarafa Camp are both beautifully designed
I also love Belmond Hotel Monasterio
arkitexture.com/interviews/jean-michel-gathy/
mentions admiring bawa, pei, ando

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 2, 2017 at 12:11 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:54 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Did a site visit of AmanPuri last week and what a feast this resort is...

However, the Pavillions are truly nothing to brag home about. It's villas or nothing. Speaking of which, I visited the 4-bedroom villa facing the ocean. It's truly magnificent. It's not the one currently on sale for USD 20mio which has a private beach but it still was absolutely lovely and I could very well imagine myself spending my honeymoon there.

The resort, despite being full, was very kind in accomodating our site visit (we're planning our honeymoon).

I have a few pictures but not of the inside due to the owner's policy. It's beautifully decorated though and the ocean view (I took a video) is wonderful

Last edited by SeamasterLux; Feb 21, 2017 at 10:02 am Reason: adding pics
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

great perspective in last photo!

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
However, the Pavillions are truly nothing to brag home about. It's villas or nothing.
although >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post21830048
aman.com/resorts/amanpuri/pavilions/premium-ocean-pavilion

re puri villas >
30 original up to 6BR + 13 new up to 9BR
4/5/6/7BR - can book as few as 2BR
9/8BR - can book as few as 4BR
#2 rafael
#7 zecha
#15 tuttle
curious what # this is >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post26993570

SeamasterLux, you might check out amanoi, although not the same beach
villas there - 3 4BR (can book as few as 2BR) + 1 5BR + 1 5BR by the beach
aman.com/resorts/amanoi/exclusives/undiscovered-indochina 4th nt free to dec 22

if construction of amankila villas is underway, not sure how long that will take

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 23, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

feb 24 aman sales trip >
uniquemeetings.com/2017/02/24/promocion-aman-hospedaje-lujo/
GMs included bagh, giri, kila, kora, sveti, zoe, yara (and more?)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 2, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
**moderators, please move if this is not the right thread to post in**

hi folks,

im staying at amankila in late march. i would like to contact the resort ahead of time to book some scuba/snorkelling excursion plus arrange a special dinner for my wife and myself.

does anyone have a specific contact email that i can use? or is it best to email the general email posted on the website - [email protected]?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by injian
**moderators, please move if this is not the right thread to post in**

hi folks,

im staying at amankila in late march. i would like to contact the resort ahead of time to book some scuba/snorkelling excursion plus arrange a special dinner for my wife and myself.

does anyone have a specific contact email that i can use? or is it best to email the general email posted on the website - [email protected]?
Why not first using the general e-mail, mostly do. So far normally got prompt response.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

amankila GM should be eludick@ (correct?)

amanruya >

deciding when to reopen for season ?
(or web problems or something else ?)
also, still monty brown (mbrown@) ?

they did 3rd nt free offer at end of last season
closed earlier than scheduled, ~ oct 1 last year
at that time, next season was set for mar 17th
tripadvisor review sep 2016: "all but empty...closing a month early"

re beginning of last season >
ruya front page said reopens mar 15 but reservations from apr 16 ?
there is a tripadvisor review from may

dec 16 2013 - mar 16 2014 first winter closure
nov 1 2014 - mar 16 2015
i believe nov 1 2015 as well
this year, at one point planned mar 17 - oct 31 opening

(easter - apr 16 2017 and mar 27 2016)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 5, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.