Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I have high hopes for the new Rosewood Bangkok under Thomas Harlander.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 11, 2018 at 12:20 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I have a high hopes for the new Rosewood Bangkok under Thomas Harlander.
Excellent choice indeed... now we have to worry about PH Seoul.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Excellent choice indeed... now we have to worry about PH Seoul.
Samuel Dabinett isn't doing much to move the needle up.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
I just got notified that the MO was fully booked for my dates visiting in March. Been reading a lot in these threads, and The Siam does not interest me. The Peninsula has been mentioned, which usually is a solid choice, Anantara Siam looks interesting, although the pool is a bit boring. Why has nobody mentioned 137 Pillars? On paper it looks absolutely awesome! It's also really, really cheap when I'm visiting. Has anyone visited 137 Pillars and can give me a review?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Lambi
I just got notified that the MO was fully booked for my dates visiting in March. Been reading a lot in these threads, and The Siam does not interest me. The Peninsula has been mentioned, which usually is a solid choice, Anantara Siam looks interesting, although the pool is a bit boring. Why has nobody mentioned 137 Pillars? On paper it looks absolutely awesome! It's also really, really cheap when I'm visiting. Has anyone visited 137 Pillars and can give me a review?
The Anantara Siam swimming pool is very nice. Yes, it’s a simple rectangular pool, but it has a beautiful blue color to it in the middle of the day that is very inviting. Also, unlike most other hotels’ swimming pools, this one is good for laps and has a proper deep end that permits diving in.

On the other hand, by all means try 137 pillars if you can get a good rate. I knew that its opening rack rates, which were high, would eventually fall into the local market equilibrium. Although I have not stayed, I hear good things about F&B, and the swimming pool looks beautiful.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

The Anantara Siam swimming pool is very nice. Yes, it’s a simple rectangular pool, but it has a beautiful blue color to it in the middle of the day that is very inviting. Also, unlike most other hotels’ swimming pools, this one is good for laps and has a proper deep end that permits diving in.

On the other hand, by all means try 137 pillars if you can get a good rate. I knew that its opening rack rates, which were high, would eventually fall into the local market equilibrium. Although I have not stayed, I hear good things about F&B, and the swimming pool looks beautiful.
Just booked it for 350 USD a night for the Ayutthaya Suite, I'll try it out - the pools look amazing!
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:37 pm

Pen is wonderful and the obvious choice when you cannot get into MO, which is increasingly the norm these days. 137 Pillars is quite okay, although not en par with their Chiang Mai property, which is sublime.

You could also consider the André Fu-designed Waldorf Astoria.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Pen is wonderful and the obvious choice when you cannot get into MO, which is increasingly the norm these days. 137 Pillars is quite okay, although not en par with their Chiang Mai property, which is sublime.

You could also consider the André Fu-designed Waldorf Astoria.
It's a refundable booking, it's just that the hard product looks soooo much better than the Pen. What don't you like with the 137 Pillars?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:11 am

I did a long weekend at The Siam in August. Was my 2nd visit (1st was 2 years ago). Honestly, was blown away.

This time around I stayed in the pool villa overlooking the river and thought the room itself was spectacular. Much larger than seemed in photos.

But what really pushed it over the edge was the service. I was there for my birthday and both my Virtuoso agent (Chinmoy Lad) and my travelling partner asked for things, but the Siam went even further above & beyond. They really went all out each day we were there. Will be my go-to hotel for all future Bangkok trips.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:12 am

The reason that MO BK is fully booked is probably because in March they are closing the River Wing, Lord Jim's and the Verandah for a complete renovation, scheduled to complete Sept 2019.

137 Pillars BK is a very strange hotel. The restaurant is lovely and the food not bad, but not great like MO BK or the Siam. The pool is on the very top floor and not for anyone who is afraid of heights, as it is an infinity pool that juts right out over the cityscape.

The rooms and suites are rather amateurish in design and badly configured, and the spa is not really a spa, but a tiny cubicle-like space.

The hotel is very good value, but is not a patch on its sister hotel in Chiang Mai.
scented likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
The Siam is my pick for best, but I am trying out the Peninsula next stop since it's the only Peninsula property I haven't stayed at. Thoughts?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still waiting for Rosewood Bangkok.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm still waiting for Rosewood Bangkok.
Your prayers will be answered soon.

Leanne Hucker has been appointed DOSM at Rosewood Bangkok, after her stint in Dubai. Bangkok certainly has no shortage of great hotels, my favorite being The Siam. Quite happy about all these positive comments here.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:10 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The Siam is my pick for best, but I am trying out the Peninsula next stop since it's the only Peninsula property I haven't stayed at. Thoughts?
Good location, old hard product that's dated but it's not too bad - I didn't mind it (albeit it's been years since I was there). Decent food, good service, Nice vibe in the lobby etc. It's still a good hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The reason that MO BK is fully booked is probably because in March they are closing the River Wing, Lord Jim's and the Verandah for a complete renovation, scheduled to complete Sept 2019.

137 Pillars BK is a very strange hotel. The restaurant is lovely and the food not bad, but not great like MO BK or the Siam. The pool is on the very top floor and not for anyone who is afraid of heights, as it is an infinity pool that juts right out over the cityscape.

The rooms and suites are rather amateurish in design and badly configured, and the spa is not really a spa, but a tiny cubicle-like space.

The hotel is very good value, but is not a patch on its sister hotel in Chiang Mai.
Enjoying MOBKK now before the renovations start . Seems it might be till Nov before the “ reveal “ , sadly the lovely long aquarium at Lord Jim ‘ s will go , we shall see what happens .

May visit The Siam .

vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.