Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by sophialite

Thanks I booked it. Twice the price as the manor suite at the Rosewood but also my first time in BK so want to do this right.
During renovations it seems large chunks of the hotel will be closed or limited access, including the lobby, the pool, and many of the restaurants. I probably wouldn't touch the MO at pretty much any price until the renovations are complete, unless all I was looking for was a place to sleep (and who knows about that, I wonder about construction noise?). And this is coming from somebody who thinks the MO Bangkok is the finest city hotel in the planet.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LondonMiles
Stayed at Rosewood Bangkok last week just for a night. We were in a "Premier Room" on the 13th floor - a corner room and the slanted windows throughout the bedroom. Interestingly it did have sheer curtains as well as the black-out shades so privacy was not an issue.

No issues with the hot water but the A/C was not great. Not sure if it was just too weak but it took a long time for the room to cool down - was on 24C when we got to the room and turned it down to 20C - but even when it eventually got down to that it still felt a bit warmer. Perhaps the huge windows do not help in that respect. Agree that the room interior is fairly dull/uninspiring though. Didn't find the traffic noise that bad but you could definitely hear it.

The 30th floor bar had only just opened and was very popular on the Friday night we were there. Enjoyed it - good selection of cocktails - and good decor + views. Used the credit included on our rate against the drinks as we went out nearby for dinner.

Breakfast in the Lakorn Brasserie was fine but nothing to get excited about.

Found it pleasant enough but doubt I would stay there next time.
Any welcome or hotel opening amenities?
Old May 17, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Any welcome or hotel opening amenities?
I think the Welcome amenity must have been some cheese in the room. We did not try it though as the room was so warm on arrival.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LondonMiles
No issues with the hot water but the A/C was not great. Not sure if it was just too weak but it took a long time for the room to cool down - was on 24C when we got to the room and turned it down to 20C - but even when it eventually got down to that it still felt a bit warmer.
I had the same problem with my initial room assignment. Temp in the room was in the high 20s, AC was having no noticeable impact, and it was not tolerable. This simply should not happen at a 5*. SGS and StR always manage to have a reasonably cool room ready for me.

My request to move to a room that was not boiling hot ultimately led them to upgrade me to a Manor Suite.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I had the same problem with my initial room assignment. Temp in the room was in the high 20s, AC was having no noticeable impact, and it was not tolerable. This simply should not happen at a 5*. SGS and StR always manage to have a reasonably cool room ready for me.

My request to move to a room that was not boiling hot ultimately led them to upgrade me to a Manor Suite.
If you are ever looking for other options, try InterContinental (especially at club level) or Anantara Siam. I am a regular at both, and I can confirm that the air conditioning is capable of cooling to anyone’s required temperature - yes, even yours bhrubin - with ease. I am someone who likes slightly higher room temperatures, and sometimes I have the opposite problem of not getting too cold, although usually it is fine when I get the settings right. If the air con were on max at these hotels, I would probably need to wear a sweater.
Kacee and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The black "Mickey Mouse" tables and the rest of the furniture at PH are atrocious. The entire hotel looks like a cheap airport lounge or waiting area.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:39 am

The black "Mickey Mouse" tables and the rest of the furniture at PH are atrocious. The entire hotel looks like a cheap airport lounge or waiting area.
Had already glimpsed at your posts over in the Hyatt forum, you are quite right about this. Was the service as warm and caring as Michael Golden wants to make us believe?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Had already glimpsed at your posts over in the Hyatt forum, you are quite right about this. Was the service as warm and caring as Michael Golden wants to make us believe?
Not particularly. Kind, but somewhat impersonal. GH Erawan staff were much warmer and personal to us. We shall see about Rosewood in a few hours. PH is really about form over function.
MikeFromTokyo and scented like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently boiling in the ground lobby. Absolutely no air conditioning. PH seems to be very frugal with aircon usage in hallways, elevators and common spaces.

@bhrubin should stay very far away from here and I will too next BKK trip.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:18 am

Currently boiling in the ground lobby. Absolutely no air conditioning. PH seems to be very frugal with aircon usage in hallways, elevators and common spaces.

Odd, considering usual A/C bliss in SE Asia. Cost cutting rules at Hyatt.

Meanwhile Lubosh Barta and team are busy preparing their urban resort, to open this year.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented

Odd, considering usual A/C bliss in SE Asia. Cost cutting rules at Hyatt.

Meanwhile Lubosh Barta and team are busy preparing their urban resort, to open this year.
I've heard it will be a monster of a resort. A first for the ultra high end.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:56 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
New luxury properties are scheduled to come online this year in Bangkok:

Orient Express Mahanakhon Bangkok
Capella Bangkok
Rosewood Bangkok
Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok at Chao Phraya River
Hotel Nikko Bangkok

https://newthaihotels.com/2019-new-t...104021704704:0
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:37 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Moving the conversation from the PH BKK thread into here because too many of my comments are general in nature rather than PH BKK specific...

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I am sorry to say that most Globalists grossly underestimate what those without any Hyatt status can still enjoy.
Well maybe, but I won't give up Globalist status just to test those waters. I enjoy my 4 guaranteed suite upgrades per year of 6-7 days each. I will instead let you be the friendly guinea pig and inform the rest of us

I’ve stayed at many PH properties without top status and still have been able to get amazing suites
In fairness in some of your examples you are paying for such suites by using points; it's not complimentary like when we book the basic room at StR or PH and get a suite. But I take your point that non elites can probably achieve good suites by paying with points at Hyatts, and it would be far more onerous for a non-elite at Marriott to pay for a suite with points.

Having a free breakfast benefit is nice, but it’s hardly more important to me than a hotel offering better service overall and better food/beverage.
Regardless if the breakfast is free or not, one thing is very clear is that StR has a subpar breakfast relative to PH, WA, and even subpar relative to Athenee and SGS. I would dare to say LM, Ren, and W all have a better breakfast than StR too in some aspects. F&B is not the strength of this StR; someone who cares more about breakfast than you do would be happier with PH not StR.

Considering I happen to be an Ambassador elite with Marriott, that together with the above reports now seals the deal for me for the StR, understandably. Thanks for the WA suggestion. After disappointing stays with enough WAs, I think I’ll leave the Hilton universe to others more brave than me.
Understood, I have myself banned some brands completely due to a few bad experiences. However the consequence is that we sometimes throw out the baby with the bath water, in this case you are depriving yourself of WA BKK. But as mentioned I have been guilty of doing the same on occasion so who am I to point fingers

Since you value F&B, I would suggest if you stay at StR you may want to walk from StR to WA next door to try the WA roof top bar which will blow StR out of the water (and PH too), it's not even close.

Actually, to be honest, there are not that many cities where it will be better to book a Hyatt with Globalist status than the top Marriott property with Ambassador status.
Agreed, and that's why I end up having more than double the nights at Marriott properties than Hyatt properties. I wish PH BKK was better than it is, but unfortunately it's not a prime choice so it gets less than 5% of my stays in BKK.

Actually, the reason IME that so many Marriott elites prefer the SGS or Athenee has little to do with hard product or soft product and everything to do with there being a good lounge. The other reasons are that the StR costs more and/or isn’t located where some prefer. I could care less about lounges; I prefer room service. (A lovely Globalist benefit to get room service breakfast, but again I don’t care about that as much as overall luxury hard product and service.)
I agree less with this statement than the previous statements. SGS does not have a lounge, but lots of guests enjoy happy hour and the great drinking venues. StR makes the business decision to be far more stingy with happy hour for Platinums. Athenee has a lounge which is well liked, but I would argue Athenee has other things to offer as well, as mentioned a superior breakfast and also the Royal Club Suite I had last time was a better hard product than the aging suites at StR. So depending on the room type you choose, do not automatically assume the hard product of StR will be better. For hard product of standard suites, my rankings are WA>PH>Athenee>StR>SGS. For entry level rooms StR is better than Athenee.

Also, specifically because StR is not clearly a step above SGS and Athenee, price is not much higher. I do not find lots of people choosing SGS or Athenee due to price. On average StR is only $50-60 more expensive (25%) than the LCs so it's not a major point in decision making in my opinion. Location, yes perhaps more so.

That many Marriott elites may prefer the SGS or Athenee also does little to make the PH look any better IMO!
Correct. StR BKK is far from perfect and lots of people prefer the LCs = = what I wanted to convey is that if StR is better than PH, it's not because StR is great, it's because PH has flaws. In some other cities, PH is a great choice, but I choose StR because it's fantastic... in such situations I can still recommend PH to Hyatt loyalists. But in BKK you get better value at GH or HR for people who do not care about Marriott options.

I’m quite confident that I would get a very nice suite at the StR as an Ambassador guest, surely.
Probably a decent suite, yes, but it won't blow you away like other upgrades you have received elsewhere, and not on par with top suites in BKK. If you want the wow factor I would recommend you book the Grand Met Suite and you have decent odds of CA suite and then you will get that "very nice suite" you are looking for. I concur with @Kacee that this is what you should be shooting for: CA suite or above. Below that it will be ok but not memorable.

Regardless, I am most grateful to the Hyatt members here who have so much experience with both the StR and PH. Most of the Marriott members seem to stick to the aforementioned properties. This discussion here has allowed me the comparison and contrast I needed.
Glad we could help - I get lots of useful from you in other threads so I am happy if I can return the favor once in a while. In any event hotel quality in BKK is higher than other parts of the world so we are just arguing about where to get the cream of the crop. Relative to U.S. hotels you will be better off almost everywhere you pick.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:45 pm

OMG, those Mickey tables look hideous in a high end hotel. Was actually in town at The Siam and leaving town now!
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

No, no, no. As if I needed any other evidence that the PH wasn’t for me...I’m now running screaming. Wow.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.