Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Hello,

I’m back to Bangkok in early August and trying decide on a hotel.

In past trips, I’ve stayed at SGS, Athenee, and most recently Sofitel SO. I really liked the decor and “attitude” of the SO, as well as the extensive and tasty breakfast.

I am thinking of trying the Anantara Siam. For my dates (3 nights), I could do a Studio [65 m2] with Club access and full breakfast at the Sofitel SO for $939 all-in. At the Anantara, the Siam Suite [72 m2] includes lounge access and breakfast and costs approx $1110 all-in.

Could anyone provide recent feedback concerning the Siam suite, the lounge, and the breakfast offering at the Anantara? Suggestions for alternative choices in the above price range would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Anantara is still a very nice hotel. Immaculately kept and rooms decorated in a modern Thai style. Breakfast is a buffet at Madison's with good food options. It's their Sunday brunch that's the winner.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
By Pool Villas, are you referring to the Garden Terrace Suites?
I think yopu talk about 2 different hotels The Anantara Siam is not The Siam.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by offerendum
I think yopu talk about 2 different hotels The Anantara Siam is not The Siam.
You're right! I think OP was asking re. Anantara Siam and the post I quoted was referring to The Siam...
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
By Pool Villas, are you referring to the Garden Terrace Suites?
Bangkok Riverside Pool Villa | The Siam Hotel, Bangkok
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
After reading first impressions of the Rosewood BK, I asked my concierge to cancel it and book the MO. I ended up doing 5 nights at the MO, in the Author’s wing (I think... whatever wing isn’t being renovated). I had a suite.

Despite the renovations, one of the best stays I’ve ever had in a hotel. A few observations:

1) Not the best location in BK IMO.
2) I could hear very faint construction noises, but only during the day and if I was close to the window. I wasn’t in my room during most of the days so the impact of all of this on me was a 0.
3) Service was exemplary.

it was quite a bit more expensive than all the other options, but I don’t like to compromise on lodging and am willing to pay extra $$$ for it.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:41 am

MO Bangkok: August 2019

Wing is being completely redone. Would not stay here at the moment.

Location wise I personally prefer the Rosewood or Park Hyatt to MO, being in the centre of the city. Waldorf Astoria has a great bar btw with one of the best views in the city!
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:04 am

I stayed there at the end of July. It was splendid and one of the best hotel stays I've ever had, despite the construction. I was going to stay at the Rosewood but read some bad reviews here, and the PH is already poorly reviewed. I don't really trust WA.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
I stayed there at the end of July. It was splendid and one of the best hotel stays I've ever had, despite the construction. I was going to stay at the Rosewood but read some bad reviews here, and the PH is already poorly reviewed. I don't really trust WA.
In that location, I prefer Anantara Siam Bangkok. Junior/Siam Suite or higher category, especially Cabana rooms or Deluxe Corner Suite, Jim Thompson Suite, are among the nicest options in town. Classic quality and elegant teakwood interiors are really better than what any of the newer competitors provide.

Rosewood is very nice. I would just give them a few months more to really get running smoothly.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

In that location, I prefer Anantara Siam Bangkok. Junior/Siam Suite or higher category, especially Cabana rooms or Deluxe Corner Suite, Jim Thompson Suite, are among the nicest options in town. Classic quality and elegant teakwood interiors are really better than what any of the newer competitors provide.

Rosewood is very nice. I would just give them a few months more to really get running smoothly.
Read upthread. some of the issues can't be replaced unless they renovated or rebuild.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Read upthread. some of the issues can't be replaced unless they renovated or rebuild.
I did read, and will still reserve judgment for a while longer. It is, and will prove to be, a solid option in central Bangkok. However, none of the newer hotels is quite as lovely or as comfortable as Anantara Siam. The Parichat Court featuring Aqua, Madison, and Spice Market is one of the most elegant and relaxing settings at any hotel in town, and the entire hotel is really refreshingly different from the more modern, high rise constructions of its nearby competitors.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:59 am

We are currently staying at the Rosewood. It's not an extraordinary hotel but overall a plasent stay and I would return if there weren't so many other good new options in the city
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:35 am

This thread is the best litmus test of taste.
himomer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
This thread is the best litmus test of taste.
I turned here to help narrow down a hotel for an upcoming trip, but I now have reservations at MO (Mandarin room), Pen (Dlx suite), and Anantara Siam (1bd corner suite). For us Bangkok first-timers, what do you like/dislike about the locations of these hotels?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:22 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Mandarin and Peninsula are basically the same location (just on opposite sides of the river). Anantara has a more central location and is close to Central/Gaysorn shopping. There's nothing especially interesting in this area though. Regardless of first time or not, I'd go with MO/Pen. I like the more peaceful river location and Bangkok's more interesting things to see (Grand Palace area, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Golden Buddah, etc.) all require travel from any of the lux options anyway.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by himomer

I turned here to help narrow down a hotel for an upcoming trip, but I now have reservations at MO (Mandarin room), Pen (Dlx suite), and Anantara Siam (1bd corner suite). For us Bangkok first-timers, what do you like/dislike about the locations of these hotels?
MO or The Siam (not Anantara) absolute top choices in city. Pen is good if budget is a concern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.