Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks everyone - the comments about the Pen pool seal the deal and was exactly the feedback I was looking for. The StR location is a plus as we do have friends staying there while we are in town, but I'm happy to sit in traffic or take the BTS to meet up with them, and enjoy the Pen during the day for some R&R.
MikeFromTokyo and scented like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Thanks everyone - the comments about the Pen pool seal the deal and was exactly the feedback I was looking for. The StR location is a plus as we do have friends staying there while we are in town, but I'm happy to sit in traffic or take the BTS to meet up with them, and enjoy the Pen during the day for some R&R.
The BTS from Sapan Taksin station (where the Peninsula Barge stops) to Rajadamri (directly connected to StR) is painless in my opinion.

You’ll love the pool and public areas at the Peninsula. The spa is gorgeous too.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

The BTS from Sapan Taksin station (where the Peninsula Barge stops) to Rajadamri (directly connected to StR) is painless in my opinion.

You’ll love the pool and public areas at the Peninsula. The spa is gorgeous too.
Just curious, but what did you mean earlier in the thread when you mentioned negotiating for a suite at the Pen?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:22 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
We have 4 nights in BKK in March before a prior commitment with friends in Ko Samui, and debating between the StR, Pen, and COMO Metropolitan. We're first-time visitors, but will be coming off a rather stressful period of work so would like to focus on 1. R&R by a pool, 2. eating (either at hotel or nearby), and 3. some first-time BKK tourism (in that order). We have SPG Platinum status and a killer corporate rate which makes the StR tempting, but it seems like a soulless business property. COMO intrigues me for reasons I am not quite sure of.

We are primarily looking for beautiful pool/common areas for us to relax at, in between eating and doing the touristy things. Leaning towards the Pen at this point. MO BKK and Siam are unfortunately out of our price range for this particular trip.
Siam is the ultimate R&R point (but bad for convenience factor) but reckon Pen comes in a good second. As @bhrubin said, it might be a bit dated but the service is still very good, the hotel has an ideal location and the pool and river-side cafe is wonderful. Colleague stayed at COMO Metropolitan and raved about it: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/como...d-hotel-review, but wasn't impressed much by Nahm.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Rosewood Bangkok has appointed their GM. I'm not at liberty to mention names but would expect a press release by end-April.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Am now in Hong Kong after a great four night stay at the Peninsula Bangkok. I was a bit apprehensive given what has been written about the property in recent years, but I was impressed (perhaps a function of lowered expectations!). A few thoughts, in no particular order:
  • Airport pick-up was seamless and highly recommended - I'm not a big advocate for over-paying for hotel pickup but in BKK it is nice to easily walk from the airport to in-room check-in
  • We were not upgraded from our booked Grand Deluxe room, which was fine, though I didn't appreciate the woman checking me in lying and saying that the hotel was fully booked (it was not); I don't believe that Deluxe categories are eligible for complementary upgrades, so no harm done
  • The room itself is certainly in an older style, but did not feel overly dated. We enjoyed the highly functional technology/automation - I think the panel with manual buttons to control lighting/shades is much better than the overly-complex touch screen solutions, and this is coming from a tech-oriented millenial
  • Breakfast was a bit of a madhouse, and nothing ruins a luxury experience like waiting in a line for 5-10 minutes to be seated at breakfast; once seated, breakfast service, selection, and quality was excellent
  • We dined at Thiptara which was spectacular, both in service, quality, and ambiance - highly recommended
  • Every night we had drinks at the bar by the river, which was a highlight of our stay. Very much enjoyed the environment and drinks. One night there was a bit of a service snafu which left me annoyed, but otherwise service was excellent
  • We spent a few hours at the pool everyday and I was extremely impressed. Excellent service, great cabanas that were almost always available (thanks to the 30-minute rule), and fantastic environment. Drink/food service was very efficient and quite tasty
  • I had a Thai massage at the Spa and found the experience extraordinary. I know the MO Spa is supposed to be the absolute best, but we really enjoyed our time here. My fiancee had a facial and had only positive things to say.
  • The location was far better than I was expecting, though as a first-time visitor to Bangkok I may not be the best person to judge this
We went over to the MO for pre-dinner drinks one night and found the entire experience absolutely soulless. I am very glad we chose to stay at the Pen, even if they were the same price (the Pen was 50% cheaper). The Bamboo Bar was quite deserted and also freezing (why do they need to pump the AC that much?). The pool area was uncomfortably quiet, the lobby was sterile, and the whole experience felt a bit "eerie". We dined at Sala Rim Naam which was excellent, but 90% of that of Thiptara in our minds (overly oily food). Perhaps we are just the wrong clientele for the MO, but it seemed formal for the sake of it, as if the fun was being sucked out of the room.

We also dined at Nahm, and it goes down as my most disappointing fine dining experience of my life. The chef refuses to modify spice levels of his dishes, which is fine, but made the food completely and totally unenjoyable for me. My fiancee, who handles spice much better, found the food inedible not because of spice, but because of salt. By far some of the most overly-salted dishes I've encountered. Some of the less-spicy dishes which I could eat without crying were simply underwhelming in flavor. Service was adequate, but not to Michelin standards. As to how this was rated so highly by Pellegrino/Michelin is a true mind-bender.

Great trip to Bangkok and I look forward to our return in the future. We will either return to the Peninsula or try the Siam, though I see less of a draw to the Siam after our excellent stay at the Pen (especially given their extremely competitive rates!).
Abyssin likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Am now in Hong Kong after a great four night stay at the Peninsula Bangkok. I was a bit apprehensive given what has been written about the property in recent years, but I was impressed (perhaps a function of lowered expectations!). A few thoughts, in no particular order:
  • Airport pick-up was seamless and highly recommended - I'm not a big advocate for over-paying for hotel pickup but in BKK it is nice to easily walk from the airport to in-room check-in
  • We were not upgraded from our booked Grand Deluxe room, which was fine, though I didn't appreciate the woman checking me in lying and saying that the hotel was fully booked (it was not); I don't believe that Deluxe categories are eligible for complementary upgrades, so no harm done
  • The room itself is certainly in an older style, but did not feel overly dated. We enjoyed the highly functional technology/automation - I think the panel with manual buttons to control lighting/shades is much better than the overly-complex touch screen solutions, and this is coming from a tech-oriented millenial
  • Breakfast was a bit of a madhouse, and nothing ruins a luxury experience like waiting in a line for 5-10 minutes to be seated at breakfast; once seated, breakfast service, selection, and quality was excellent
  • We dined at Thiptara which was spectacular, both in service, quality, and ambiance - highly recommended
  • Every night we had drinks at the bar by the river, which was a highlight of our stay. Very much enjoyed the environment and drinks. One night there was a bit of a service snafu which left me annoyed, but otherwise service was excellent
  • We spent a few hours at the pool everyday and I was extremely impressed. Excellent service, great cabanas that were almost always available (thanks to the 30-minute rule), and fantastic environment. Drink/food service was very efficient and quite tasty
  • I had a Thai massage at the Spa and found the experience extraordinary. I know the MO Spa is supposed to be the absolute best, but we really enjoyed our time here. My fiancee had a facial and had only positive things to say.
  • The location was far better than I was expecting, though as a first-time visitor to Bangkok I may not be the best person to judge this
We went over to the MO for pre-dinner drinks one night and found the entire experience absolutely soulless. I am very glad we chose to stay at the Pen, even if they were the same price (the Pen was 50% cheaper). The Bamboo Bar was quite deserted and also freezing (why do they need to pump the AC that much?). The pool area was uncomfortably quiet, the lobby was sterile, and the whole experience felt a bit "eerie". We dined at Sala Rim Naam which was excellent, but 90% of that of Thiptara in our minds (overly oily food). Perhaps we are just the wrong clientele for the MO, but it seemed formal for the sake of it, as if the fun was being sucked out of the room.

We also dined at Nahm, and it goes down as my most disappointing fine dining experience of my life. The chef refuses to modify spice levels of his dishes, which is fine, but made the food completely and totally unenjoyable for me. My fiancee, who handles spice much better, found the food inedible not because of spice, but because of salt. By far some of the most overly-salted dishes I've encountered. Some of the less-spicy dishes which I could eat without crying were simply underwhelming in flavor. Service was adequate, but not to Michelin standards. As to how this was rated so highly by Pellegrino/Michelin is a true mind-bender.

Great trip to Bangkok and I look forward to our return in the future. We will either return to the Peninsula or try the Siam, though I see less of a draw to the Siam after our excellent stay at the Pen (especially given their extremely competitive rates!).
Or give Rosewood BKK a whirl when it opens. The sky pool villas are supposed to be something special.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Colleague had the EXACT same opinion and review of Nahm.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Just curious, but what did you mean earlier in the thread when you mentioned negotiating for a suite at the Pen?
Negotiated upsell upon arrival. As with many hotels in the world, if there is availability upon check-in, you can ask about upgrading to a suite at a bit of a discount.

They often have very good suite rates, in which case it makes more sense just to confirm a suite. The upsell option is more attractive in situations when there is a large difference in rate between categories.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:57 am

Agreed 100% about NAHM. Felt the same way on 2 occasions. Never again.

Even though I have yet to try Park Hyatt (have been putting it off reading about temperature and street noise), I very much look forward to the opening of Waldorf-Astoria, Edition and Rosewood.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Agreed 100% about NAHM. Felt the same way on 2 occasions. Never again.

Even though I have yet to try Park Hyatt (have been putting it off reading about temperature and street noise), I very much look forward to the opening of Waldorf-Astoria, Edition and Rosewood.
I do not know a single Thai person who cares at all about Nahm. I have no interest.

The new hotels are all of course nice, and the city is increasingly full of them. However, most of them lack the truly special locations, design, and character of the best hotels.

Rosewoood should be worth a try. 137 Pillars is also, in my opinion, much more interesting than the new chain properties from Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, etc...

Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:06 am

137 Pillars is also, in my opinion, much more interesting than the new chain properties from Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, etc...
Agreed, but not selling themselves short are they? Pricing is right up there with The Siam - in fact, I think on some nights it's more expensive than their Chiang Mai property.

Edition should be interesting too.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Agreed, but not selling themselves short are they? Pricing is right up there with The Siam - in fact, I think on some nights it's more expensive than their Chiang Mai property.

Edition should be interesting too.
I’m not as worried about that, as I’m a good negotiator. If any hotel does not offer the right price to me, I’ve got my handful of favorite properties that are always ready to welcome me back for a visit!

It’s still a new property, so eventually I suspect rates will fall into equilibrium. That has been the case at all of the other newly opened hotels.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:45 am

Negotiated upsell upon arrival. As with many hotels in the world, if there is availability upon check-in, you can ask about upgrading to a suite at a bit of a discount.

They often have very good suite rates, in which case it makes more sense just to confirm a suite. The upsell option is more attractive in situations when there is a large difference in rate between categories.
Ahhh, got it. I've had to negotiate for upgrades that should've been proactively offered--i.e. Deluxe Suite to Grand Deluxe. Showed the front desk their own inventory :-)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Ahhh, got it. I've had to negotiate for upgrades that should've been proactively offered--i.e. Deluxe Suite to Grand Deluxe. Showed the front desk their own inventory :-)
I usually request for standard one step upgrades to be confirmed either at booking or at least before arrival.

The negotiation gets fun when there is a large rate difference between categories. E.g. room to suite, or standard suites to signature suites. At many hotels there is room for negotiation, and the ever increasing number of hotels here works in one’s favor — there is always competitive pressure and there are plenty of competing offers to have matched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.