Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I usually request for standard one step upgrades to be confirmed either at booking or at least before arrival.

The negotiation gets fun when there is a large rate difference between categories. E.g. room to suite, or standard suites to signature suites. At many hotels there is room for negotiation, and the ever increasing number of hotels here works in one’s favor — there is always competitive pressure and there are plenty of competing offers to have matched.
I've given up on negotiating with the Pen front desk for upgrades they should be providing proactively. Although I prefer to stay on the Pen side of the river, just such a better experience at the Oriental. Except for the crazy lobby crowds.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

I usually request for standard one step upgrades to be confirmed either at booking or at least before arrival.

The negotiation gets fun when there is a large rate difference between categories. E.g. room to suite, or standard suites to signature suites. At many hotels there is room for negotiation, and the ever increasing number of hotels here works in one’s favor — there is always competitive pressure and there are plenty of competing offers to have matched.
My respect! I‘m not such a good negotiator. Every time I tried I failed......
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:59 pm

Nine nights in Bangkok

Before heading out to Soneva Kiri the Mrs. and I will be staying nine nights in Bangkok.

Currently, I'm considering the Peninsula, St. Regis, and Anantara Siam. Leaning more towards the Anantara Siam because of it's proximity to BRT and shopping centers but I do like the idea of being close to the river at the Peninsula even though the rooms look dated.

Can any of you seasoned BKK travelers give any input on the "street scene" near those properties? The Mrs. and I are adventurous eaters and would much like the convenience of being able to walk from the property to local street food vendors and restaurants.

The COMO Metropolitan and Sukhothai are also nice hotels that I was interested in but ruled out because it seems like they are far from rail stations and don't have lots of walkable stores and attractions. Am I wrong?

Would it also be advisable to split the stay into four or five night segments? My current thought on the matter is that no matter how nice the properties are, we'll end up liking one more than the other and have the "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome. So right now I'm leaning on putting all the eggs in one basket and staying at a property for nine nights.

Thanks for the input gentlemen!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by eldy
Before heading out to Soneva Kiri the Mrs. and I will be staying nine nights in Bangkok.

Currently, I'm considering the Peninsula, St. Regis, and Anantara Siam. Leaning more towards the Anantara Siam because of it's proximity to BRT and shopping centers but I do like the idea of being close to the river at the Peninsula even though the rooms look dated.

Can any of you seasoned BKK travelers give any input on the "street scene" near those properties? The Mrs. and I are adventurous eaters and would much like the convenience of being able to walk from the property to local street food vendors and restaurants.

The COMO Metropolitan and Sukhothai are also nice hotels that I was interested in but ruled out because it seems like they are far from rail stations and don't have lots of walkable stores and attractions. Am I wrong?

Would it also be advisable to split the stay into four or five night segments? My current thought on the matter is that no matter how nice the properties are, we'll end up liking one more than the other and have the "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome. So right now I'm leaning on putting all the eggs in one basket and staying at a property for nine nights.

Well , we prefer the MOBKK in the river facing suites . Pity you are ruling out the Sukothai which has stores on site & COMO Met .
Street scene should be the ‘ best ‘ around Anantara among the ones you listed . Not sure about St Regis though as have not “ recced “ .
Split stays is ok since you have 9 nights .

eldy likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Well , we prefer the MOBKK in the river facing suites . Pity you are ruling out the Sukothai which has stores on site & COMO Met .
Street scene should be the ‘ best ‘ around Anantara among the ones you listed . Not sure about St Regis though as have not “ recced “ .
Split stays is ok since you have 9 nights .

I looked at Google Street View around the areas of COMO Metropolitan and Sukothai. It looked to me like they were devoid of any street vendors and nearby shops. Plus they seemed to be a 30 minute walk to the nearest rail line.

Can you elaborate more on what is near the COMO Metropolitan and Sukhothai? They are really nice hotels and like their style and decor more than the Pen and St. Regis.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA

If the location (proximity to BTS and mall) is important to you, then the StR might be a better choice, as it's directly linked to the BTS on the second floor.
eldy likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:17 pm

I am a huge fan of Anantara Siam and The Peninsula, but have less experience with StR BKK.

What room or suite categories are you looking at? I can confirm that anything Junior Suite or higher at Anantara Siam is really very spacious and comfortable. I have stayed in most of the higher categories and particularly love the Pool Terrace cabanas/suite, Junior Suites, and Deluxe Corner Suites.

The Peninsula is great especially in the suite categories, but rooms are nice too. The views and the swimming pool/spa facilities are real highlights of this urban resort.

St. Regis is next door to Anantara Siam, so there really is no difference in location or convenience. I much prefer the latter, but those who prefer a contemporary decor might choose StR.

Mandarin Oriental is of course fabulous, if that’s an option.

Nine nights is a substantial enough stay to negotiate a bit at any of these hotels, ask about confirmed upgrades, executive club access (at Anantara Siam), and other offers. Sometimes they include airport transfers, for example.

Re scene, visit The Peninsula Plaza (next to Anantara Siam) - a friend of mine has taken over that building and is doing a lot of exciting stuff there in terms of shopping or dining. Try their traditional Thai noodles!

eldy likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 12, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

We always stay at the StR, except one terrible stay at the PH BKK.

Walking out of the StR there used to be one or two street vendors a little to the right, however I thought Thailand had stopped all street food?

We would walk on the road from the StR to Siam Paragon, however only recently discovered you can walk on an elevated walkway or take the BTS one stop. TBH, the walk is only 15-20 mins. If there are still street vendors there were many more outside the government buildings on this route.

As such I don't think there's much 'street scene' to be had anymore.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:46 pm

Jay Fai should be an absolute street food priority for anyone visiting Bangkok. It’s outstanding and open late. I love going there with friends for a late night meal even when I have already had dinner earlier.

https://guide.michelin.com/th/en/ban...arch?q=Jay+Fai

The restaurants at Anantara Siam are also some of my favorites - I obviously love everything about that hotel - but in all honesty I believe Spice Market to be the best and most authentic classic hotel Thai restaurant around. Madison and Biscotti also are superb, even if staying next door at StR, they’re worth visiting.
vuittonsofstyle, scented and eldy like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:08 am

F&B really shines at Anantara...

Spice Market has been one of my favorites for a number of years and has never let me down. Also popular with many locals. Very intrigued by the food scene in Bangkok these days!

vuittonsofstyle and eldy like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
If the location (proximity to BTS and mall) is important to you, then the StR might be a better choice, as it's directly linked to the BTS on the second floor.
Thanks that's great info!!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:29 am

Jay Fai should be an absolute street food priority for anyone visiting Bangkok. It’s outstanding and open late. I love going there with friends for a late night meal even when I have already had dinner earlier.

https://guide.michelin.com/th/en/ban...arch?q=Jay+Fai

The restaurants at Anantara Siam are also some of my favorites - I obviously love everything about that hotel - but in all honesty I believe Spice Market to be the best and most authentic classic hotel Thai restaurant around. Madison and Biscotti also are superb, even if staying next door at StR, they’re worth visiting.
I'm exercising now with the intent to gain it all back by eating six of those deep fried crab omelettes!
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
We stayed at the Sukothai the last time we were in BKK. We really loved the hotel...they also upgraded us to a suite without asking. Personally, it was one of our best experiences in the city (Having stayed at at the Pen several times and wife twice at the MO).
TBH, we (the family) would walk to the train station which was around the corner from the hotel (you would pass the Banyan Tree on the way). It could not have benn more than 10 minutes. It was quite convenient to our needs if I recall. Hope that helps.
FlyerEC and eldy like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:07 am

I'm exercising now with the intent to gain it all back by eating six of those deep fried crab omelettes!
Oh, they’re sized for sharing, believe me! And, she has many delicious dishes including the most amazing Tom Yum and incredible king prawns with noodles, etc... Enjoy
FlyerEC, eldy and Aventine like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:30 pm

We're spending a couple nights in BKK and are consider The Peninsula there. Our daughters, 5 and 7, typically sleep with us. Any recommendations on what room works best for a family of 4 at this hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.