Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Indeed! My guess is that, all other things being equal, we likely would stay at the StR. My husband and I far preferred the Pen when we last visited, so it would be up to my hubby--spending more for the Pen or even more for the Oriental or getting max value by staying at the StR.

But I'd love to see these renovated rooms and suites at the Oriental that everyone raves about. We were very underwhelmed in 2009. Same reaction to the Oriental then as we had to Le Bristol in Paris a few weeks ago, actually.

It's not the locals I'm concerned with as a hotel guest. There was no "no shorts" rule for the public areas/lobby at the Sukhothai OR Peninsula when we were there last (2009), but there was at the Oriental. To each, their own, of course...but that level of trite formality will never appeal to us.

Locals don't wear shorts in Paris, either--yet there is no "no shorts" rule after sunset in the lobbies of a single Paris luxury hotel. And Paris merits formality for me far more than hot and humid SE Asia!
OT, but as you know I absolutely adore le Bristol, but it is extremely difficult from Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, which has greatly improved since 2009. Both are easily in my top five favorite city hotels in the world.

Regading the dress code issues, it is a bit more complicated than that. In Buddhist culture immodesty of any kind is frowned upon, and exposing one’s feet (considered to be the lowest, most impure part of one’s body) or bare legs in an inappropriate place/setting is not accepted. So, it is actually rooted in culture more than it is a sign of a stodgy or uptight hotel, which I don’t at all think is the case with Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. The hotels that primarily cater to a foreign clientele such as Peninsula, St.Regis, etc... are much more relaxed about this. Hotels like Mandarin Oriental and Anantara Siam, on the other hand, are frequented by many Thais, including Royalty, military, political , and social elites. So, at those hotels particular attention is paid to maintaining a certain dress code that other hotels can simply ignore.

In other words it’s not their intention to impose a dress code on foreign guests. It’s their obligation to maintain a suitable atmosphere for their core local clientele.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 25, 2017 at 5:19 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:50 am

Do you know yet when the River Wing renovation is expected to begin and/or conclude?
According to GM Greg Liddell, all renovation works will be completed in 2019. I hope this includes a complete renovation of the pool area, which is quite small and underwhelming for a hotel of this stature.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:50 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
OT, but as you know I absolutely adore le Bristol, but it is extremely difficult from Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, which has greatly improved since 2009. Both are easily in my top five favorite city hotels in the world.

Regading the dress code issues, it is a bit more complicated than that. In Buddhist culture immodesty of any kind is frowned upon, and exposing one’s feet (considered to be the lowest, most impure part of one’s body) or bare legs in an inappropriate place/setting is not accepted. So, it is actually rooted in culture more than it is a sign of a stodgy or uptight hotel, which I don’t at all think is the case with Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. The hotels that primarily cater to a foreign clientele such as Peninsula, St.Regis, etc... are much more relaxed about this. Hotels like Mandarin Oriental and Anantara Siam, on the other hand, are frequented by many Thais, including Royalty, military, political , and social elites. So, at those hotels particular attention is paid to maintaining a certain dress code that other hotels can simply ignore.

In other words it’s not their intention to impose a dress code on foreign guests. It’s their obligation to maintain a suitable atmosphere for their core local clientele.
I appreciate your comments. But the reasoning or intention for the stricter dress code is entirely irrelevant to me as its impact--my discomfort in high heat and humidity--is the same, regardless.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:30 pm

I appreciate your comments. But the reasoning or intention for the stricter dress code is entirely irrelevant to me as its impact--my discomfort in high heat and humidity--is the same, regardless.
The indoor restaurants are air conditioned of course, so no less comfortable than those of hotels in cooler climates.

But, it seems like you would be better off at StR or Peninsula, both in terms of more relaxed atmosphere and value. At a place like MO, you do have to play by their rules if you want to have dinner in the restaurants.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

The indoor restaurants are air conditioned of course, so no less comfortable than those of hotels in cooler climates.

But, it seems like you would be better off at StR or Peninsula, both in terms of more relaxed atmosphere and value. At a place like MO, you do have to play by their rules if you want to have dinner in the restaurants.
Exactly. The Oriental just seems way too formal for our tastes. We're Southern Californians for many reasons--one of which is so we can be more relaxed and casual.

If we're paying exorbitant rates, I expect the hotel to play by my rules.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:25 pm

Exactly. The Oriental just seems way too formal for our tastes. We're Southern Californians for many reasons--one of which is so we can be more relaxed and casual.

If we're paying exorbitant rates, I expect the hotel to play by my rules.
Yes, I think you will be happier at the other hotels. Not to mention, you’ll pay a lot less given your status at StR, or simply negotiating for a suite at the Peninsula.

I still maintain that Mandarin Oriental is not at all stuffy. It is a bit more formal, though. And it is an establishment. It’s not the kind of place where simply being a staying guest will be sufficient to bend rules like that. Their core clientele, both foreign and local, like it exactly the way it is for a reason. The service is among the best in the world, but shorts/sandals at dinner (or even dinner without a jacket at their signature restaurant) isn’t going to happen.

The Peninsula will not enforce any major dress code, unless someone is really pushing it. Smart casual shorts and short sleeves are just fine.

Oddly, some hotels allow shorts, but strictly prohibit sandals of any kind (including very nice ones) in restaurants. In that case, casual loafers or driving shoes work.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
Yes, I think you will be happier at the other hotels. Not to mention, you’ll pay a lot less given your status at StR, or simply negotiating for a suite at the Peninsula.

I still maintain that Mandarin Oriental is not at all stuffy. It is a bit more formal, though. And it is an establishment. It’s not the kind of place where simply being a staying guest will be sufficient to bend rules like that. Their core clientele, both foreign and local, like it exactly the way it is for a reason. The service is among the best in the world, but shorts/sandals at dinner (or even dinner without a jacket at their signature restaurant) isn’t going to happen.

The Peninsula will not enforce any major dress code, unless someone is really pushing it. Smart casual shorts and short sleeves are just fine.

Oddly, some hotels allow shorts, but strictly prohibit sandals of any kind (including very nice ones) in restaurants. In that case, casual loafers or driving shoes work.
The problem, in my experience, is that the hotel doesn't really enforce the rules coherently. I'm ok with adhering to a dresscode but only if the same rules apply to everyone.

I've seen (Chinese) tourists in flip flops and tracksuits sipping on their high tea in the Authors Lounge (and let's not even mention the lobby...).
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
The problem, in my experience, is that the hotel doesn't really enforce the rules coherently. I'm ok with adhering to a dresscode but only if the same rules apply to everyone.

I've seen (Chinese) tourists in flip flops and tracksuits sipping on their high tea in the Authors Lounge (and let's not even mention the lobby...).
Well, they’re a problem at all Bangkok hotels. I have seen many funny sights and heard even funnier stories from management. I do applaud Mandarin Oriental and other hotels that at least manage to maintain some semblance of a proper atmosphere in restaurants.

I learned the hard way once, when I was not allowed into a restaurant with sandals on (I was wearing smart sandals with long pants). Now I have learned my lesson and know to wear proper shoes.
FlyerEC and 0bsidian like this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 0bsidian

This.

It's hard to tell them what to do but they shouldnt have one standard for some and a stricter one for others. A smartly dressed Mike shouldn't get turned away for smart sandals with long pants.
0bsidian likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:00 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Sandals are most likely banned because open toed shoes are a safety risk where glass is used. In most Australian bars open toed shoes are explicitly banned.

Last edited by m0hamed; Oct 29, 2017 at 6:09 pm
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
This.

It's hard to tell them what to do but they shouldnt have one standard for some and a stricter one for others. A smartly dressed Mike shouldn't get turned away for smart sandals with long pants.
I agree, but I adore the hotel, so would never complain. I just swapped the sandals for some Tod’s driving shoes and was good to go.

I do see why they do it this way, though. They can’t have a discussion about whose sandals are acceptable and whose are not. So they just have to say no to all sandals, or else they’d undoubtedly have some people in rubber flip flops, etc... I can live with it.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
We have 4 nights in BKK in March before a prior commitment with friends in Ko Samui, and debating between the StR, Pen, and COMO Metropolitan. We're first-time visitors, but will be coming off a rather stressful period of work so would like to focus on 1. R&R by a pool, 2. eating (either at hotel or nearby), and 3. some first-time BKK tourism (in that order). We have SPG Platinum status and a killer corporate rate which makes the StR tempting, but it seems like a soulless business property. COMO intrigues me for reasons I am not quite sure of.

We are primarily looking for beautiful pool/common areas for us to relax at, in between eating and doing the touristy things. Leaning towards the Pen at this point. MO BKK and Siam are unfortunately out of our price range for this particular trip.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
We have 4 nights in BKK in March before a prior commitment with friends in Ko Samui, and debating between the StR, Pen, and COMO Metropolitan. We're first-time visitors, but will be coming off a rather stressful period of work so would like to focus on 1. R&R by a pool, 2. eating (either at hotel or nearby), and 3. some first-time BKK tourism (in that order). We have SPG Platinum status and a killer corporate rate which makes the StR tempting, but it seems like a soulless business property. COMO intrigues me for reasons I am not quite sure of.

We are primarily looking for beautiful pool/common areas for us to relax at, in between eating and doing the touristy things. Leaning towards the Pen at this point. MO BKK and Siam are unfortunately out of our price range for this particular trip.
You know how much of a StR fanboy I am, but I do think you're best at the Pen or the StR. The Pen is on the river, which any first time visitor to Bangkok will appreciate. It's a wonderful hotel with a great pool deck, and it's not too far from most of the major sights. (Still, we stayed our first time at the Sukhotahi, which I liked a lot despite it not being on the river.) The Pen may be a bit dated now, but it's still a great hotel.

The StR is where I would stay, FWIW, but I don't mind the "soulless lobby" that some complain about--as I wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the lobby! But we very much liked the Pen (and hated the MO). The StR is undoubtedly the best cost-benefit, since its suites are supposed to be fantastic, and the service for Plats and especially Plat100s like me is supposed to be wonderful. I also love the StR bar, as you know. :-)

So go with your gut between the Pen and StR. I don't think you really can go wrong, to be honest.

I don't know the COMO property there in BKK, but we do love the COMO Halkin in London and friends love the COMO Parrott Cay in Turks and Caicos, FYI.
MikeFromTokyo and callmedtop like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:24 pm

The Peninsula will be perfect. Its location really is not a drawback for leisure guests, as they have convenient barges that take guests across the river. Also, you’ll definitely like taking a canal tour and can visit Wat Arun and other cultural sites along the river by long tail boat. It also has the best swimming pool in the city.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:26 pm

I used to really like St Regis and stayed there in almost every category between a Met Suite and the hotel's Penthouse, so you'd think they'd get it right with me -- sadly they don't. It has been a really cold hotel lately and they couldn't care less.

Keeping in mind that you will want to enjoy the pool, the Peninsula's pool is absolutely wonderful and reason alone to stay there! You could also pop over to MO for an afternoon tea or a dinner, both just magical.

St Regis' Ratchadamri location is more convenient to most malls and restaurants, but I prefer to stay by the river these days. Peninsula is right by Saphan Taksin BTS, which brings you to most places in an instant.
EuropeanPete and callmedtop like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.