Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
I stayed at the Cavalieri on a work conference earlier in the year. It is dated (hard to put my finger on how but I would say it has a 60s kitsch vibe to it). The pool area is nice as is the rooftop view. Along with my room being massive (not sure of the category, that is about it in terms of positives.

What I found surprising was that for a hotel which has a 3 star restaurant, the rest of the dining in it was garbage (i.e. by far the worse food I've had in Rome - including tourist-y pizza places).
My last trip I only went there for La Pergola. I couldn't imagine staying there and trying to sight see in the city. It is definitely a trek.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Has anyone splashed out for Holy Deer San Lorenzo City Lodge? Besides the historical significance, it looks incredible.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by david22
Has anyone splashed out for Holy Deer San Lorenzo City Lodge? Besides the historical significance, it looks incredible.
Wow! just looked at the website and agree that the hotel does look incredible. Location near Piazza Navona is a + or a -. The rates are in Aman territory. Very high.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Wow! just looked at the website and agree that the hotel does look incredible. Location near Piazza Navona is a + or a -. The rates are in Aman territory. Very high.
To be fair for that rate you get a single 350 sq meter apartment though :-)

Edit: Pope Innocent X's former apartment to be precise... plus things like frescoes and 26 foot ceilings. You know... essentials.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:50 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krotondo
I recommend the Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Resort - Stayed there for a week and it was absolutely stunning for anybody interested
We stayed at the StR but had a cabana by the Cavallari pool for a day. The hotel is zoo with scores of guests in the lobby. It was so busy the staff were yelling in the lobby to get guests in their airport transfers grouped by flight.

The common areas are dated and certainly not inviting.

Even the pool area was unattractive with the view being the towering communication tower that dwarfs the hotel.

It really is a Hilton and feels just like one.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:53 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
We stayed at the StR but had a cabana by the Cavallari pool for a day. The hotel is zoo with scores of guests in the lobby. It was so busy the staff were yelling in the lobby to get guests in their airport transfers grouped by flight.

The common areas are dated and certainly not inviting.

Even the pool area was unattractive with the view being the towering communication tower that dwarfs the hotel.

It really is a Hilton and feels just like one.
Yikes, we kept hearing how dated and distant the WA was. But I didn't imagine it was this bad.

How did you like the StR? Were the room/suite renovations completed by the time of your stay? We loved it and can't wait to return.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:28 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yikes, we kept hearing how dated and distant the WA was. But I didn't imagine it was this bad.

How did you like the StR? Were the room/suite renovations completed by the time of your stay? We loved it and can't wait to return.
The Uber from the StR to the WA was about 20 mins. But what shocked me the most was the state of the hotel. It's just old and unkept. The StR, while historic is renovated and inviting. The StR is a tranquil and quiet oasis and the contrast between the two could not have been great. My review of the StR is here St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

We did the great tour of Europe with the PH Paris, Hotel Martinez, PH Milan and StR Rome. After these hotels I really appreciated how important location is and the ability to walk to places of interest. I couldn't imagine being based at the WA and having to plan my whole day in Rome rather than just explore on a whim.
richarddd and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I've stayed at the JK Place and Portrsit Hotels. Incredible institutions in Rome and I loved my stay.

I'm trying out the Fendi Suites for my birthday. We wanted a bit more space but didn't want to stay at the big machines that are the STR and Waldorf.
ps9a likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:04 am

After these hotels I really appreciated how important location is and the ability to walk to places of interest.
I completely agree. There will almost always be places we'll need a car or train to get to, but being able to walk to major places of interest makes things much better.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

The Uber from the StR to the WA was about 20 mins. But what shocked me the most was the state of the hotel. It's just old and unkept. The StR, while historic is renovated and inviting. The StR is a tranquil and quiet oasis and the contrast between the two could not have been great. My review of the StR is here St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

We did the great tour of Europe with the PH Paris, Hotel Martinez, PH Milan and StR Rome. After these hotels I really appreciated how important location is and the ability to walk to places of interest. I couldn't imagine being based at the WA and having to plan my whole day in Rome rather than just explore on a whim.
Thanks! It sounds like the Cavalieri is just another overrrated and underwhelming example of the oft-depressing WA brand.

Out of curiosity, how did the StR Rome stack up for you against the PH Paris, PH Milan, and Martinez?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:19 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks! It sounds like the Cavalieri is just another overrrated and underwhelming example of the oft-depressing WA brand.

Out of curiosity, how did the StR Rome stack up for you against the PH Paris, PH Milan, and Martinez?
TBH, the each had their own strengths. I felt the service at the StR was the best out of them all. The Martinez was spectacular, but for different reasons.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

TBH, the each had their own strengths. I felt the service at the StR was the best out of them all. The Martinez was spectacular, but for different reasons.
I love it.

I also was extremely impressed with the service/F&B and the hard product of the StR—and it had only largely competed the public spaces renovation at that time and not yet the rooms/suites. I couldn’t wait to see what the final product rooms and suites would look like, but the photos and videos are pretty impressive.

Yet the StR service we enjoyed was pretty amazing all-around. And that’s with the hotel undergoing renovation, mind you.

I also found the service good but the hard products surprisingly dated and underwhelming at both the PH Paris and PH Milan.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: United
Luxury hotel options for family of 4

Hi - Planning on visiting Rome and Florence in early April. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 kids (6 & 10). Which hotels would you recommend? We were also thinking of picking a hotel that has an indoor pool so the kids can enjoy after a long day of walking around. We have recently stayed at the Peninsula hotel in Paris, Westin Hotel Palace in Madrid, Four Seasons in London. What would your top picks for Rome and Florence?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:34 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by nealsense
Hi - Planning on visiting Rome and Florence in early April. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 kids (6 & 10). Which hotels would you recommend? We were also thinking of picking a hotel that has an indoor pool so the kids can enjoy after a long day of walking around. We have recently stayed at the Peninsula hotel in Paris, Westin Hotel Palace in Madrid, Four Seasons in London. What would your top picks for Rome and Florence?

Thanks in advance!
I'd suggest Hotel Eden Rome and Four Seasons Florence.
Although, Eden does't have a proper pool...FS will have indoor whirlpool and outdoor pool.
Both will be great for families.

Have a great time!!
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Westin Excelsior has indoor pool and is on the Via Veneto. Nice gym as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.