Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Pausanias
At an Amanresort I've never ever tipped anyone. But then I find the whole tipping thing degrading so I never ever tip anyone anywhere, especially not in the USA where I find the custom quite sickening. In SE Asia (and Australasia/Polynesia) I think it's against the culture and an insult. Of course, many tourist places have been corrupted.
I'd agree for Japan - less so for other places in Asia (in terms of it being an insult).

Then again, I'm happy to say I'm wrong.

My last two recent stays in Asia (Bali, Saigon, Maldives), I tipped our butler, as well as a select number of waiters/waitresses directly in cash on our last day. They were all highly appreciative.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pausanias
At an Amanresort I've never ever tipped anyone. But then I find the whole tipping thing degrading so I never ever tip anyone anywhere, especially not in the USA where I find the custom quite sickening. In SE Asia (and Australasia/Polynesia) I think it's against the culture and an insult. Of course, many tourist places have been corrupted.
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I know there are past threads about this, but what's the tipping situation at Asian Aman's (Noi, Taka in particular)?

I know service charge is included in room rate, but what I've typically done at similar properties is given cash at the end of the stay to the people who have "helped" the most. Is this in-line with expectations?

Do people leave money in room for housekeeping?

What about ex-pat staff (e.g., F&B manager)? Joy has gone above and beyond without even having arrived yet, but I don't want to offend her with a tip. I've always steered clear of doing so at other properties for the same reason. Perhaps I can bring a gift along to show my gratitude instead of a traditional tip?

Apologies for all the basic questions.
I often personally give a present especially to those I have known for years , they may have even come from another Aman I met them at .

It is rather sickening that a 20 % tip has already been added in many establishments in the USA . Noted on this last May / June trip to various locations So it seems one doesn't have a choice ! A few though present options like 15 , 18 or 20 % !! The audacity .
So even when there wasn ' t decent service , one has to tip . Quite nauseating indeed

The country that often starts the unnecessary & cause inconveniences to the rest of the world .
Let ' s not even start with the TSA checks , even with pre checks ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 14, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:40 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Good question as I rarely see them swipe the card, most of the times someone takes down the number and that's it! Also it varies from property to property, some probably took a pre-authorization, some didn't ask for card as "they knew me". Last time I stayed at Kila I signed for the room charges and incidentals separately so I assume they only took a hold for the room charges. One thing with new Aman ownership will probably be a bit more consistency in these SOPs. I remember Amanjena before the renovations didn't even use an online terminal, they just took a copy of the card and send it to their bank - like in the 70s! Tree month later AMEX called me as they had received a charge from Morocco. Fun times.

Fun indeed re:amanjena. Amex probably isn't used to seeing very many paper charges in the '000 range, especially in farer flung locales

Anyways, I guess if it varies by locations and might change due to ownership, I will get in touch with someone at kila a few weeks before and figure out the best option.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have stayed at 4 Amans total including Amanoi and Amangiri this year. I did not tip. The service charge on a healthy room rate is a substantial amount. I have never had one person with whom I predominantly engaged. I believe the significant amount I am paying should relieve me from the stress of figuring out whom and how much to tip.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Weird question but how much does Aman typically hold for indcidentals? Reason I ask is I am looking to stay at my first Aman (Amankila) and want to put it on a card that maximizes rewards but the cl on that card is only about 150% of the all in rate (incl tax and fees). Would rather not find out that they charge some astronomical hold when the card gets declined and the embarrassment of giving the a different card. I'll have more than enough money on reserve to cover this but looking to hit a minimum spend on a certain card...

I have stayed at a few luxury places and holds tend to be all over the place..
I think it depends on the hotel. Thinking back to my Bali Aman stays I don't believe they put any hold on my CC; though however, they did charge a deposit in advance in lieu.... However, I do recall that Amangiri did place a hold on my CC that took quite a while to drop off.... Amanjena did not place a hold either...

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I know there are past threads about this, but what's the tipping situation at Asian Aman's (Noi, Taka in particular)?

I know service charge is included in room rate, but what I've typically done at similar properties is given cash at the end of the stay to the people who have "helped" the most. Is this in-line with expectations?

Do people leave money in room for housekeeping?

What about ex-pat staff (e.g., F&B manager)? Joy has gone above and beyond without even having arrived yet, but I don't want to offend her with a tip. I've always steered clear of doing so at other properties for the same reason. Perhaps I can bring a gift along to show my gratitude instead of a traditional tip?

Apologies for all the basic questions.
Never tipped at an Aman... part of the appeal of the Amans is that the staff really haven't expected tips... though allof the Amans that I have stayed at have had service charges of at least 10%, which I view of as a tip.... I know Amanzoe doesn't have a service charge so not sure what I would do there...

FDW
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:47 pm

They don't.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:58 pm

We tipped in several Amans:
- Sveti Stefan at a time when they were presenting the bill at the end of the meal (only Aman where we had to sign something to charge the room)
- Amanbagh at the end of the stay as they have a kind of fund for the local area
- Venice at the end of the stay
- Amanjiwo directly to the butlers at the end of the stay
- Amanjena directly to the butler at the end of the stay also

Actually we have not tipped only at Zoé, Pulo and Kila.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:04 am

We don't tip - service charges are more than adequate. Possibly break that rule for a butler if there has been excellent service beyond the call etc etc.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:24 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We do normally not tip at Amans, either. Only exceptions I can remember was our private butler and chef at Amanpulo plus our fantastic guide and driver at Amanjiwo and a guide at Amankila who went back after a trek to look for - and found - a camera that our son lost. However, we have visited and donated to charities (schools, orphanages etc.) which Amans support and Aman has organised this for us (Amanjiwo, Amansara, Aman-i-Khas) and we did give a wedding gift to someone in the family of our waiter at Amanbagh who we got to know really well, visited at home etc.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:49 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you got it emailed from pulo?
Yes.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have stayed at 4 Amans total including Amanoi and Amangiri this year. I did not tip. The service charge on a healthy room rate is a substantial amount. I have never had one person with whom I predominantly engaged. I believe the significant amount I am paying should relieve me from the stress of figuring out whom and how much to tip.
I tip those very low on the totem pole...

ALWAYS tip housekeeping, as they are hardly paid a living wage (and they deal with the worst of the worst).

Also tip for bags.

Otherwise, don't really tip at aman...
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:59 am
Suspended

Amanoi :: new agency specific offer // not available to those booking direct (and not available to MANY other Virtuoso agencies):

"Amanoi Exclusive Summer Offer"

1 night comped based on a 4 night stay
Travel from now until September 30
Book now to September 26
Valid on agency bookings only [and it depends on the agency]
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:54 am

Do the resorts specifically state that the "service fee" goes to the workers? Many times in the US the "service fee" doesn't go to the workers (at least in the restaurant biz ie catering) but many people who see that assume it does.

To find tipping people "sickening" I feel is a bit extreme. I can see both sides of the argument. Just depends on the culture you grew up in and also the culture you're visiting.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken
our waiter at Amanbagh who we got to know really well, visited at home etc.
interesting! recall this kind of thing being discussed in several reports here

more aman wellness, at amanoi >
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanoi/...thlon-coaching
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanoi/...armony-retreat
"wellness experts David Flakelar and Vickie Gerken" - related to Sean ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 15, 2016 at 9:10 am
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

nera >

doing seasonal closing in sep/oct

started exclusives
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanera...scover-amanera
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanera...g-star-journey
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanera...tee-cliff-tops
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanera...nment-movement (expensive)

dont recall if a new GM has been mentioned yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.