FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanresorts Thread 2016
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerEC

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pausanias
At an Amanresort I've never ever tipped anyone. But then I find the whole tipping thing degrading so I never ever tip anyone anywhere, especially not in the USA where I find the custom quite sickening. In SE Asia (and Australasia/Polynesia) I think it's against the culture and an insult. Of course, many tourist places have been corrupted.
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I know there are past threads about this, but what's the tipping situation at Asian Aman's (Noi, Taka in particular)?

I know service charge is included in room rate, but what I've typically done at similar properties is given cash at the end of the stay to the people who have "helped" the most. Is this in-line with expectations?

Do people leave money in room for housekeeping?

What about ex-pat staff (e.g., F&B manager)? Joy has gone above and beyond without even having arrived yet, but I don't want to offend her with a tip. I've always steered clear of doing so at other properties for the same reason. Perhaps I can bring a gift along to show my gratitude instead of a traditional tip?

Apologies for all the basic questions.
I often personally give a present especially to those I have known for years , they may have even come from another Aman I met them at .

It is rather sickening that a 20 % tip has already been added in many establishments in the USA . Noted on this last May / June trip to various locations So it seems one doesn't have a choice ! A few though present options like 15 , 18 or 20 % !! The audacity .
So even when there wasn ' t decent service , one has to tip . Quite nauseating indeed

The country that often starts the unnecessary & cause inconveniences to the rest of the world .
Let ' s not even start with the TSA checks , even with pre checks ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 14, 2016 at 12:18 pm