Amanresorts Thread 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:11 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
As I sit here drooling over Amangiri and the surrounding scenery, am I the only one thinking that $2,000 a night starting rate is a bit much?

I'll get there one day, just not today
It's lower than that depending on season.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

$2,000 a night starting rate
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re giri >

1900 jun aug
1700 jul sep oct (increasing to 1800?)
1400 nov dec (dropping to 1250)

1250 jan (feb) mar
1800 apr may jun

this past winter they had 8th nt free and one complimentary via ferrata
$1250 becomes about $1575
and includes full board etc

low season holidays are not low season rate, many amans changing that

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 8, 2016 at 10:57 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:14 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

As I sit here drooling over Amangiri and the surrounding scenery, am I the only one thinking that $2,000 a night starting rate is a bit much?

I'll get there one day, just not today
We had a good experience but the caveat was that our visit was during March at a much lower price point. I couldn't see mysel there during summer but I hate the heat...
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
DetailsIM >

$1250 becomes about $1575
and includes full board etc

low season holidays are not low season rate, many amans changing that
How is the weather in February/March? I get that you can get a much better deal, but do you lose out on the full "experience"?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:17 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
How is the weather in February/March? I get that you can get a much better deal, but do you lose out on the full "experience"?
Depends on your goals. Weather was very comfy for hiking and seeing the sights. If you wanted to do lake Mead stuff then not so much. The pool is kept at a comfy temperature year round so it's very useable. I was quiet happy. I think we had a little drizzle but mostly highs in the 60s.

I would go back during feb and March.

Fdw
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:28 am

Kagehitokiri

Ahh, thanks for correcting me. The dates I was searching just happened to always have the same pricing.

FlyingDoctorwu

Did you do a photo review of your trip? Would love to see what it was like that time of year.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:40 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

FlyingDoctorwu

Did you do a photo review of your trip? Would love to see what it was like that time of year.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24608562-post82.html
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:19 am

FWIW, our stay was in early February, and we LOVED the temperature.

As we spend a lot of time in warmer climes, having all of those fires going, enjoying the spa and hot tubs, as well as having cool temps for our hikes made for a perfect stay. Too, I've consistently found that, at lower elevations, cooler temps tend to lead to the possibility of clearer (read: non-hazy) skies for stargazing.

As a rabid lover of deserts across the globe, I find they always have something magical to offer at any time of year.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DetailsIM, your post kind of implied for certain season, so not "incorrect"
and the highest season / holiday rate is now about $2400 including taxes

i am always happy to do rate breakdowns for aman, since ratecard removed

anyone gotten a rate card from aman recently ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 9, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:08 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
DetailsIM, your post kind of implied for certain season, so not "incorrect"

i am always happy to do rate breakdowns for aman, since they got rid of ratecard

anyone gotten a rate card from aman recently ?
I have the rate card for Amanpulo.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

you got it emailed from pulo?

news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/luxury/aman-hotels-the-exclusive-hotel-chain-celebrities-and-royalty-swear-by/news-story/6822734e656135b37d6e900299f6235f

“We never set out to build a company or a brand — all we wanted to do was build a small one-off resort that would give pleasure to our friends,” Zecha said. “Simplicity is the essence of elegance and you don’t achieve elegance by ‘gussying up’ things,” Zecha said. “When I walk into a building that looks rich and expensive, I feel uncomfortable and a bit intimidated — as if I should hold my breath and be careful not to touch anything. I don’t want our guests at Aman to feel like that. I want their first impression to be a warm unpretentious welcome, with simple, clean lines and soft colours that put them at ease.”

Amankila’s staff carry themselves with a soft sense of entitlement; 40 per cent of them, I learn, have been working here since it opened in 1992 and have even inducted their grown children into the Aman family
opening order was actually puri (bora bora) dari (melezin) nusa kila

re amandari history (vs article implications) >
(and this supports what zecha was saying)
amandari architect [muller] diary was interesting re zecha >
zecha/aman acquired 50% of dari for $600K
diary is detailed, vs vague 2nd comment here [mentions tuttle] >
gastroenophile.com/2014/05/whats-happening-with-adrian-zecha-and.html
and that diary can be read online, thats how i read it

interesting aman only actually finalized/signed management contract on oct 8, before opening oct 22, 1989

new dari GM external hire https://www.linkedin.com/in/jann-hess-55350776

cant remember, was new nera GM mentioned ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 11, 2016 at 8:47 am
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Weird question but how much does Aman typically hold for indcidentals? Reason I ask is I am looking to stay at my first Aman (Amankila) and want to put it on a card that maximizes rewards but the cl on that card is only about 150% of the all in rate (incl tax and fees). Would rather not find out that they charge some astronomical hold when the card gets declined and the embarrassment of giving the a different card. I'll have more than enough money on reserve to cover this but looking to hit a minimum spend on a certain card...

I have stayed at a few luxury places and holds tend to be all over the place..

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Jun 14, 2016 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:42 am

Good question as I rarely see them swipe the card, most of the times someone takes down the number and that's it! Also it varies from property to property, some probably took a pre-authorization, some didn't ask for card as "they knew me". Last time I stayed at Kila I signed for the room charges and incidentals separately so I assume they only took a hold for the room charges. One thing with new Aman ownership will probably be a bit more consistency in these SOPs. I remember Amanjena before the renovations didn't even use an online terminal, they just took a copy of the card and send it to their bank - like in the 70s! Three month later AMEX called me as they had received a charge from Morocco. Fun times.

Last edited by scented; Jun 14, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I know there are past threads about this, but what's the tipping situation at Asian Aman's (Noi, Taka in particular)?

I know service charge is included in room rate, but what I've typically done at similar properties is given cash at the end of the stay to the people who have "helped" the most. Is this in-line with expectations?

Do people leave money in room for housekeeping?

What about ex-pat staff (e.g., F&B manager)? Joy has gone above and beyond without even having arrived yet, but I don't want to offend her with a tip. I've always steered clear of doing so at other properties for the same reason. Perhaps I can bring a gift along to show my gratitude instead of a traditional tip?

Apologies for all the basic questions.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:59 am

At an Amanresort I've never ever tipped anyone. But then I find the whole tipping thing degrading so I never ever tip anyone anywhere, especially not in the USA where I find the custom quite sickening. In SE Asia (and Australasia/Polynesia) I think it's against the culture and an insult. Of course, many tourist places have been corrupted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.