Amanresorts Thread 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:51 pm

Aman Tokyo

One thing I'll have to admit... they really managed to hype Aman Tokyo these days. The fashion industry has a serious love affair with Aman, after Carine Roitfeld last week now it is Kim Jones (plus half of LVMH) staying there.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scented
One thing I'll have to admit... they really managed to hype Aman Tokyo these days. The fashion industry has a serious love affair with Aman, after Carine Roitfeld last week now it is Kim Jones (plus half of LVMH) staying there.
re tokyo >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
managed the PR campaigns to launch eleven Aman resorts since 2008
Aman Tokyo in 2015 resulted in 104 articles in UK media in a 12 month
tokyo can get business / metropolitan guests
wonder what occupancy rate has been like

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 25, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:12 pm

Didn't Aman also use Bell Pottinger at some point?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scented
The fashion industry has a serious love affair with Aman
also - https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathon-gardiner-b24a7111
Amanresorts Global Brand Marketing Manager
July 2015
MR PORTER Marketing Manager
April 2011 – July 2015
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
Correction to my earlier post - that was not Sergio; he's the assistant F&B manager. The other gentleman's name I don't remember.

Two things I forgot to include in my post:
room cleaning was a joke compared to other amans. I left the room for breakfast for 1.5 hours around 08:30 and when I came back the room had still not been cleaned. The same happend the next night over dinner. No evidence of 'visits' outside regular cleaning and turn-down.

One night I was told I should have dinner at 18:00 or 21:00 because they were 'too busy'. I refused and said I would come when I wanted and would wait if necessary. When I arrived at 19:00 there were several tables available. Weird.

I did a complimentary walk with a geologist, which was interesting. It's nice that they organise some free things. Unfortuntately the yoga classes are at the same time as the morning walk.
sorry to hear your bad experience.
Just out of this world.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by CGRA
sorry to hear your bad experience.
Just out of this world.
It wasn't a bad experience. I will cherish the memories for the rest of my life. The resort and the location areout of this world beautiful. Service-wise there were good elements but also some (very) bad ones and the prices are just too high IMHO. But overall I am very happy I stayed.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:02 pm

Booked amantaka for January. No more half board option. Got an immediate upgrade from pool to khan suite as well.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

so, even if undiscovered indonesia stops taking bookings apr 30, the other exclusives may still go up to minus $200 off per night, in low season etc.

location of amangiri can really increase costs and rates, and when they sell out a lot during summer (like amanzoe) the market could tolerate even higher rates. amanemu is less remote, so probably will reach even higher occupancy but some lower costs. venice and tokyo also have fewer rooms compared to most hotels in their markets. will be interesting to see what happens to rates at amangiri, amanzoe, amanera as more villas are added to inventory.

aman continues to do lower low season rates, and sometimes some new higher holiday/peak rates

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 28, 2016 at 12:55 pm
Old May 13, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Haven't read yet but: http://www.townandcountrymag.com/lei.../aman-resorts/
Old May 13, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
A very well behaved piece. I did not realise that Adrian Zecha retired.....
Old May 18, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

from article >

(re kim jones http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post26533491)

Kim Jones, the men's artistic director at Louis Vuitton, arrived at the new Aman Tokyo, after the Paris fashion shows last January, it was 4 a.m.

staff offered to run out to the fish market to ensure the freshest sushi and sashimi

Russian billionaire Andrey Melnichenko, who last spring docked his $300 million Philippe Starck-designed [400 foot long] yacht at Amanyara.

On a trip last year to Amanzoe in Greece, Jolivet was giving detailed feedback about the menu. "I told the chef and general manager to remove the Asian flavors from the menu. It was too complicated and doesn't reflect the simplicity of Amanzoe," Jolivet said in a phone interview from Singapore.

"We managed to open Aman Tokyo because of contributions from the majority shareholder [Vladislav Doronin]," Jolivet said.

Aman Tokyo seems to be working. Occupancy rates are currently around 80 percent

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 19, 2016 at 9:47 am
Old May 18, 2016, 10:52 am

Nice puff piece ... but, unless I learn Aman provided some of those services gratis, should I REALLY be impressed?

I presume most 5* hotels would arrange a private jet, at my expense, to bring in a bottle of wine.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Nice puff piece ... but, unless I learn Aman provided some of those services gratis, should I REALLY be impressed?

I presume most 5* hotels would arrange a private jet, at my expense, to bring in a bottle of wine.
sushi at tokyo - not really a cost, im curious re this
snow at jena - cost (labor) may not be bad ?
speeding at giri - has nothing to do with aman

FHR 4th nt free >
jena - extended through jul
noi / puri - overlap with low season - currently ends this month
indonesia - currently ends this month

external GMs - tokyo, beijing, puri, wana, bagh, giri

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 24, 2016 at 9:05 am
Old May 18, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
A very well behaved piece. I did not realise that Adrian Zecha retired.....
I also know this to be incorrect, by the sheer fact that at the London event, management told me they didn't do it and were working hard to do it (off topic, but since that event Aman has been very, very helpful to me).

If you are a junkie, there's a file on you, shared between properties, usually in the same country, including information on when you prefer to have lunch, the type of pillows you requested during your last stay, how you take your coffee, and even your relationship status.
This piece comes across so favourably that I don't think even someone at Aman HQ could have written it, as it's too biased.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:30 am

"If you are a junkie, there's a file on you, shared between properties, usually in the same country, including information on when you prefer to have lunch, the type of pillows you requested during your last stay, how you take your coffee, and even your relationship status. "

This was true. I once returned to my suite at an Amanresort in Bali to find the housekeeper checking everything. He was a little flustered and excused himself quickly. Only when he had gone did I notice that he had left behind his clipboard. When I looked to see what it was, I realised it was our guest history, in minute detail, including our relationship status, which interestingly, was wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.