Aman Canal Grande, Venice, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adrian Chong
thanks !

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Interesting - doesn't sound as though he stayed as there are no room photos.
there is a room photo, seems like base room. at second link, you can click on the right and left sides of the picture to change to next picture in series. works on ipad/iphone/ipod. there are a bunch of pics including garden tables and roof deck (sofa, chaise, 2 chairs)

Today we have almost lost our sense of how these spectacular pleasure palaces were designed to be used...only a tiny number of hotels still use the original porta d'acqua.

[which hotels?]

So, it was hard not to be deeply impressed by the experience of arriving in exactly this way at the new Aman hotel in Venice last week. It was, I suppose, roughly the equivalent of sweeping up the tree-lined avenue to the main entrance of a National Trust stately home in a chauffeur-driven Bentley

you use the original 19th-century locks on the ornate walnut doors...street gate at the back...has only a discreet lettering on the intercom button

rooms have been left intact, meaning you get a huge amount of space for your money (a rarity in Venice), with bathrooms so big that in some cases they double as sitting rooms.

wonderful green space, fronting directly onto the water, and unique among Grand Canal hotels, is a huge bonus in a city that can, on hot, crowded days, feel claustrophobic. And the sense of space and freedom doesn't stop here – there is a shady back garden too. And up on the fifth floor, is a traditional altana – a rooftop platform where you can sit high above the pantiled roofs among the belfries and chimney pots of the city and enjoy one of the best views of Venice I have ever seen.

right at the heart of the city, in the San Polo district, a short walk from the Rialto bridge. If you know Venice well, it's an excellent place to be

Menus alternate nightly between Thai and classic Venetian...Italian starters may include beef tenderloin with black truffle vinaigrette (€30), followed by black squid ink risotto (€24) or pan-roasted sea bass (€33). Thai food depends on seafood sourced at the Rialto market such as pad pong karee (stir fried fish with red chilli and celery with lime-clam froth (€28)). Breakfast is a relaxed and hushed affair with a choice of fruits and cereals (€12), continental (€28), or cooked 'American’ (€40).

Access for guests with disabilities...Two ground-floor rooms with adapted bathrooms.
going back to plans, i remember a fairly small section marked as for owners on top floor of aman. sounds like owners may have an entire floor above aman. to clarify, it seems hotel is owned by a company who is leasing space from owner of palazzo. that (hotel) space is nearly entire palazzo except for top floor and a small part of floor below top floor. owners/family have done leases in the past as well, to l'Istituto di Scienze Marine.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15043633-post159.html
http://www.arthusgallery.com/#/conte...N%20Biography/
a part of the palazzo is soon to be rented out to a luxurious hotel group that will continue restoring and maintaining this magical place.
Vendu en septembre 2007 à un groupe immobilier italo-suisse, après d’importants travaux de restauration, il deviendra désormais un énième hôtel, réservé à une clientèle de nantis, appartenant à la Palazzo Papadopoli Hotels & SPA s.r.l.
[google translate]
Sold in September 2007 to a Swiss-Italian real estate group, after extensive restoration, it now becomes yet another hotel, reserved for wealthy clients belonging to the Palazzo Papadopoli Hotels & SPA LLP
assume lease instead of sold
The owners have the entire top floor of the hotel - a very large apartment, which is necessary given they have 5 children.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 27, 2013 at 12:14 pm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:23 am

thanks !

there is a room photo, seems like base room. at second link, you can click on picture to change to next picture, there are a bunch of pics including garden tables and roof deck (sofa, chaise, 2 chairs)

going back to plans, i remember a fairly small section marked as for owners on top floor of aman. sounds like owners may have an entire floor above aman.
The owners have the entire top floor of the hotel - a very large apartment, which is necessary given they have 5 children.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And five children in Venezia is no easy thing to manage by the way.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:17 am

As they are on the top floor, I'm curious if any children-noise seeps into the rooms/spaces directly underneath. I'm sure the owners will do their best, but "kids will be kids".

I hope the sound-proofing was really considered.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
As they are on the top floor, I'm curious if any children-noise seeps into the rooms/spaces directly underneath. I'm sure the owners will do their best, but "kids will be kids".

I hope the sound-proofing was really considered.
It is incredibly quiet - extremely good soundproofing. Also the 'kids' are fairly grown up!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

IIRC few if any guestrooms on top floor of hotel
dont recall how many floors to both sections of palazzo and how they connect

owners are both royalty and their children are 11, 13, 15, 19, 22
re lineage - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post20928815

going back to TVs, pic of presumably base room (and appears to be captioned that way) seems to show wall mounted (in the 2nd telegraph link in post 59) while original pic with floor stand TV was of Alcova Tiepolo Suite. also the previous italian photo series in post 21 included pic(s) of an unidentified room category that shows a wall covering. dont recall all the different (original) wall coverings mentioned, but some guestrooms might have things like this >
Leather Wallpaper dating back 300 years. According to Olivia Richli

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 28, 2013 at 11:16 am
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:54 am

IIRC few if any guestrooms on top floor of hotel
dont recall how many floors to both sections of palazzo and how they connect

owners are both royalty and their children are 11, 13, 15, 19, 22
The royalty part I'm indifferent about - there are enough minor royals throughout Europe to fill Manhattan, or so it seems - but at their respective ages the kids are old enough to be well-behaved ... though, as vuittonofstyle assures us, their ages are moot given Aman's typical attention to detail!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:07 am

Updated pics , but still unimpressed by furniture .

http://www.amanresorts.com/amancanal...nice/home.aspx
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Updated pics , but still unimpressed by furniture .

http://www.amanresorts.com/amancanal...nice/home.aspx
The property is beautiful... But the furniture is at times awkward and the TVs are ugly..

I personally find the FS Florence, overall, a better product if we were to compare these hotels solely on their merits as hotels.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Blackbook
The property is beautiful... But the furniture is at times awkward and the TVs are ugly..

I personally find the FS Florence, overall, a better product if we were to compare these hotels solely on their merits as hotels.
Disagree. It does of course depend on which suite you stay in, but Aman Venice is remarkable. The pics really do not do it justice. All the furniture is Italian. Unlike the Gritti there are no reproductions - it is either authentic or modern - nothing in between. I approve of that - it's like the pyramid at the Louvre.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Disagree. It does of course depend on which suite you stay in, but Aman Venice is remarkable. The pics really do not do it justice. All the furniture is Italian. Unlike the Gritti there are no reproductions - it is either authentic or modern - nothing in between. I approve of that - it's like the pyramid at the Louvre.
I am looking forward to some trip reports from Flyertalkers. In the interim- without staying there overnight it is very difficult to say which hotel is better etc.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:08 am

... Aman Venice is remarkable. The pics really do not do it justice.
Have you visited? Not trying to be challenging, or anything, just am really desperate to get a FT'ers first hand impressions, instead of Lynne's or other professional travel writers.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Blackbook

the furniture does indeed look awkward !! .....probably straight from a Molteni or Minotti catalogue ...or worse... B&B Italia ....nothing against those brands but was expecting more at an Aman .... which seems to be having generic furniture nowadays ... (see ruya and SStefan - from the pics at least) ...

but this will not deter me from going !!!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Have you visited? Not trying to be challenging, or anything, just am really desperate to get a FT'ers first hand impressions, instead of Lynne's or other professional travel writers.
Yes, stayed for a few days. Best in Venice without doubt. I agree, you really can't trust those travel writers can you.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ah, now aman site has lots of room labels, thanks bearbrick.
with the pic of base room i mentioned, that covers a lot of room interiors, except base bathroom.

the furniture does indeed look awkward !! .....probably straight from a Molteni or Minotti catalogue ...or worse... B&B Italia ....nothing against those brands but was expecting more at an Aman .... which seems to be having generic furniture nowadays ... (see ruya and SStefan - from the pics at least) ...

but this will not deter me from going !!!
The furniture is not unlike ones found in milocer .
Notice many newer Aman s eg Ruya , Taka ..have store bought furniture...incld the venice
>

chair looks exactly like wella?
although i dont know when the chairs showed up at wella?

speaking of furniture, at yara >
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10856181.htm

Yes, stayed for a few days. Best in Venice without doubt. I agree, you really can't trust those travel writers can you.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 29, 2013 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.