Reload this Page >

Aman Canal Grande, Venice, Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Canal Grande, Venice, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:12 am

You would certainly need quite a bit of frescos to make that room's lay out and design appealing...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

regardless of other things there are - size of room/bathroom, view, and that it was an upgrade from base room

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 12, 2013 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:43 am

I really want to thank ngfan again for posting these. By far these are the best, and most detailed, for Aman Venice yet ... and he's even "scooped" Gallivanters

Like others - and as I expressed much earlier in this thread - I find the design choices here head-scratching. I know my wife does not find it as objectionable as myself (though she, too, remains far from enamored), but the combination of Rococo with Modern Asian really clashes from my perspective.

The room is so sterile - something I appreciated at Amangiri with the harsh landscapes of the desert - and seems so out of place given the ornateness of the palazzo. I know some rooms have frescoes and other sundry touches, but the juxtaposition between the old and the new in them - strictly based on pictures, of course - leaves me a bit cool. And, again, I am utterly baffled by the choice to install TVs ... and in their positioning.

All of the "Fit & Finishings" appear to be of the highest quality, and I'm sure service is wonderful, but this property has moved far down my list of "must-try's", if not off of it entirely.

But, as much as I am not "wow'ed", I am sure many will love it, and I look forward to reading their TRs.

Last edited by aa213bb; Aug 11, 2013 at 11:49 am Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

my interest (in aman venice) is the property + 24 room aman, that its good quality/value for venice is a plus.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 11, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Well, I did stay in that room for one night only. But I have to say that I really enjoyed the room. After touring most of the property which is full of frescos in many rooms I did not really miss them here. I liked the modern room furniture and its color scheme and found the hard product to be of excellent quality as expected (I would be happy if my office would look like that...).

I cannot stand any kind of stuffy, medieval design and style in my hotel room (as many other Venice properties feel to me) so the room style worked perfectly fine for me with decent space, nice view and no noise issues whatsoever. The hotel has so many different aspects of tradition incorporated that can be explored, the modern furniture is a muted and welcomed contrast I happily enjoyed and in real life, it did not feel mismatching to me. Quite the opposite, I have to say, otherwise the property would have been just another addition to the style of many other existing local hotels. Add Aman service and its calm atmosphere to it, I regard it as a gem.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by SwissBelgiantravelers
We did get a tour throughout the property. We visited the guest lobby, library, wooden roof terrace and one of the suites (I believe the one featured on the site). The palazzo evidently was an amazing place to live in throughout the centuries.
This has been a fascinating thread to read. I've researched/published on the original construction/decoration (c. 1566) of the building (and the man who oversaw its construction, Alvise Cuccina) - and indeed, it was an amazing place to live, and work.

I'm very pleased that the family has decided to remain there, as it is actually quite consistent w/the original owners. The Cuccina family (incl. their 9 children) lived on the first piano nobile, and rented out the second piano nobile, as well as the attic space. You can see the family, and the palace (now hotel) in the famous painting by Paolo Veronese now in Dresden.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by bdemaria
This has been a fascinating thread to read. I've researched/published on the original construction/decoration (c. 1566) of the building (and the man who oversaw its construction, Alvise Cuccina) - and indeed, it was an amazing place to live, and work.

I'm very pleased that the family has decided to remain there, as it is actually quite consistent w/the original owners. The Cuccina family (incl. their 9 children) lived on the first piano nobile, and rented out the second piano nobile, as well as the attic space. You can see the family, and the palace (now hotel) in the famous painting by Paolo Veronese now in Dresden.
Thank you. I have been looking forward to your impressions of this hotel. As well, I thank you for giving us a deeper historical perspective.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:06 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

Amazing.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thank you. I have been looking forward to your impressions of this hotel. As well, I thank you for giving us a deeper historical perspective.
My pleasure. In the future, if anyone has questions about the history of the structure, I'm most willing to answer.

Admittedly when I learned of the conversion of the property into a hotel, I was concerned but I also know that the owners are committed to retaining the historical integrity of the building. It remains the largest privately owned palace in the city, and one of very few that has had minimal modern renovations (the only significant structural change since the 16th century - the addition of Venice's first elevator, c. 1880 - which resulted in a re-orientation of the original staircase).

The owner's made the decision to limit changes to the original structure of the palace - the skeleton so to speak. The result: potentially unusual room layouts, etc.... This may not please some guests - but it (IMO) was the appropriate decision.

Last edited by bdemaria; Aug 30, 2013 at 9:02 am
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The owner's made the decision to limit changes to the original structure of the palace - the skeleton so to speak. The result: potentially unusual room layouts, etc.... This may not please some guests - but it (IMO) was the appropriate decision.
+1: Great decision (although probably not uniquely the owners to make).

I would really like to see something lovely done with the Villa Cipriani in Asolo as well.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
+1: Great decision (although probably not uniquely the owners to make).
True. I'm just pleased that the physical structure has remained stable enough to allow the preservation, rather than forcing a renovation that saves only the shell, as was the case with the Centurion (formerly Palazzo Genovese)

Last edited by bdemaria; Aug 30, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

odd. ngfan posted pictures of compendium in july. which basically matches june. in august there are changes, mostly price increases, but some other incl price decreases.

some dramatic price increases including >
(hypothetically possible that direct price has also gone up?)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21150540-post115.html

"a few of our favourite things" and "necessities" added information about glassware created by owner. could have been more discreet?

"without the hoardes." removed. too honest?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21247609-post143.html

i was surprised how closely aman compendium matched replies in my trip planning thread. including "get lost" as well as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20865564-post37.html >
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Torcello where the Locanda Cirpriani is a nice spot for lunch.
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I would include Burano
Originally Posted by Hubertus
Burano for lunch (Da Romano)
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I second Da Romano - I'm glad that it's still a recommended restaurant - the seafood Risotto and the Frutti de Mare still remain as one my most memorable meals even though it must be 6 or 7 years since I was last there. I've been a few times and it was always good.
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I suggest spending one day and night at the Locanda Cipriani on the island of Torcello. http://locandacipriani.com
This is a magic place. There are a total of 5 rooms and 2 junior Suites. We love the Fosca Suite, which faces the Fosca Church and overlooks the gardens of the Locanda. Staying there is almost a mystical experience. The food is phenomenal and the vegetables are grown on site. Service is also great.
Check bus schedules to Torcello (they all stop in Burano) and then you may have to wait for a few minutes to take another to Torcello. Reasonable rates and delicious breakfast included in rate.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9942429...7635009538050/
matching above quotes, compendium mentions torcello & locanda cipriani (has rooms) and burano.
except for burano it says "enjoy an aperitivo and dine at Gatto Nero or Riva Rosa"

-----

first page >
Over the years these corridors have rung with the voices of many generations of the families Coccina, Tiepolo, Papadopoli and Arrivabene. They welcomed visitors from around the world, hosted grand parties, with many colourful characters passing through its doors. We hope to continue with this rich tapestry.

Aman Canal Grande Venice is a hotel, it is a Palazzo, and it is also a home, a very grand one, but still a home. We hope that you will consider it yours during your stay here. We hope to show you around the ‘house’ personally. It is a labyrinth, with many floors, staircases and lifts. We have listed all you need to know in this folder, and would be happy to clarify, expand and embellish any of the information- you only need to ask, and we will ‘do the needful’.

Our household staff are on hand 24 hours a day and at your disposal. Simply ask and we will do our utmost to oblige.
third page >
A FEW OF OUR FAVOURITE THINGS
Arriving by water taxi
The Horses at the Basilica San Marco
The Martinis at Harry’s Bar
The Rialto market on a Saturday morning
The Zattere at sunset
The Canova tomb at the Frari
The Campanile of San Giorgio Maggiore
Getting lost
The pointy end of the Dogana
The paper cone of the tiniest shrimps at the Carampane
Hot chocolate at Florians
The midnight Marangona bell
The cicchettis at Schiavon
Originally Posted by jkirk
cheap and chearful chichetti bars
also >
SALON 4th FLOOR
Located on the second piano nobile on the fourth floor is the Salon overlooking the Canal Grande, the salon is the perfect place to enjoy some peace, read and enjoy the quiet of this beautiful room. It is a lovely spot for afternoon tea and an early evening cocktail.

LIBRARY
The historic library is located in the fourth floor, adjacent to the salon, is a peaceful retreat with a range of interesting books taken directly from the count Gilberto Arrivabene Gonzaga’s
leading to end at top of next page >
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9942429...57635009538050

-----

My pleasure. In the future, if anyone has questions about the history of the structure, I'm most willing to answer.

Admittedly when I learned of the conversion of the property into a hotel, I was concerned but I also know that the owners are committed to retaining the historical integrity of the building. It remains the largest privately owned palace in the city, and one of very few that has had minimal modern renovations (the only significant structural change since the 16th century - the addition of Venice's first elevator, c. 1880 - which resulted in a re-orientation of the original staircase).
True. I'm just pleased that the physical structure has remained stable enough to allow the preservation, rather than forcing a renovation that saves only the remain, as was the case with the Centurion (formerly Palazzo Genovese)
would be interested in any of your thoughts on comparison of property to other hotels and palazzo in venice.
unfortunately i did not save the aman venice hotel floorplans. although you might be able to obtain them?
ngfan posted this pic of one floorplan >
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99424298@N04/9478080336/ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21253091-post150.html
one of only eight palazzi monumentali
Today we have almost lost our sense of how these spectacular pleasure palaces were designed to be used...only a tiny number of hotels still use the original porta d'acqua.

[which hotels?]

So, it was hard not to be deeply impressed by the experience of arriving in exactly this way at the new Aman hotel in Venice last week. It was, I suppose, roughly the equivalent of sweeping up the tree-lined avenue to the main entrance of a National Trust stately home in a chauffeur-driven Bentley

rooms have been left intact, meaning you get a huge amount of space for your money (a rarity in Venice), with bathrooms so big that in some cases they double as sitting rooms.

wonderful green space, fronting directly onto the water, and unique among Grand Canal hotels, is a huge bonus in a city that can, on hot, crowded days, feel claustrophobic. And the sense of space and freedom doesn't stop here – there is a shady back garden too. And up on the fifth floor, is a traditional altana – a rooftop platform where you can sit high above the pantiled roofs among the belfries and chimney pots of the city and enjoy one of the best views of Venice I have ever seen.
Originally Posted by Hubertus
First, two gardens - one on the water and the other (very private and surrounded by old brick walls) on the back - is a feature which is exceptionally rare, even unique for this (fantastic) stretch of the Grand Canal.
Note that other resort-like properties in Venice are located on other islands in the lagoon (e.g. Cipriani or the San Clemente (the latter now closed)) nice views but not in the middle of the action and connected via boats.
So the Aman will be basically in an "urban" setting which, in my opinion is great because it is at a walking distance from many many attractions in Venice.
...jaw dropping view on the Grand Canal on the front (Rialto on the left, gorgeous Palazzo Grimani in the front and the Ca Foscari bow of the canal on the right)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
IF aman rooms start at 50m2 thats largest base room in venice, right? (by far?)

owner >
particularly of this palazzo i guess compared to the others is that you have light in every you know part of the palazzo which in venice normally you have the front windows are amazing on the grand canal but behind the rooms is nothing and here you see everything
as can be seen here >
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=palazz...to,+Italy&z=20
ive seen dates where larger hotels are charging €1000+ for 25m2 base rooms

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post21184814
room 2 is a €1500 (currently, included biennale/peak season) palazzo chamber that is canal front and corner

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 10, 2013 at 9:33 am
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
compendium mentions torcello & locanda cipriani and burano.
except for burano it says "enjoy an aperitivo and dine at Gatto Nero or Riva Rosa"
In the case of the "compendium" recommendation on Burano: go w/the suggestion of those who have posted on this board: head to da Romano

I suspect the similarity of the remaining suggestions is due to the fact that these are simply the things people do in Venice: (Harry's, Zattere at sunset).

Last edited by bdemaria; Aug 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

havent been paying attention to new media
but this for example doesnt really have anything new. good library pic >
http://www.departures.com/slideshows...ande-venice/11 (john smith / 589879)
odd, its pictures from milla jovovich photographer. they were there may 29. linked previously in thread.

pretty good pic from virtuoso >
http://blog.virtuoso.com/wp-content/...ining_R1_e.jpg
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/virt...startid=32#/34

re historical (venice qualifies as historic) no longer managed by aman >

utterly fabulous Chateau de Bagnols which Amanresorts managed in its first years of operation. That still might be the best hotel I've ever been to.
i feel like that was the second time someone posted something along those lines.

My French list would be:
Chateau de Bagnols near Lyons
L'Oustau de Baumaniere in Provence
Auberge de l'Ill & Hotel des Berges in Alsace
These are the three most beautiful hotels/restaurants I have ever been to, with food to match the surroundings which is unusual
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Oh no, I promise you that when Aman managed Château de Bagnols it was superb! Wonderful service.
6/9/4 - original room counts that i found
5/7/7 - room counts listed here http://www.magellanresorts.co.jp/?page_id=12564
i think hotel gave me that same number of 5 at one point

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:16 am

The first reviews are up on TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...ce_Veneto.html

Not exactly written with much style or insight but at least TA has belatedly acknowledged the hotel's existence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.