Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Canal Grande, Venice, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Stumbled on this the other day, and meant to add the link to this thread:

https://www.andrewharper.com/article...grande-venice/

An interview with Olivia Richli done by Andrew Harper (err, well, AH staff)
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

mid-April last year when it turned from a building site into an Amanresort

Dottor group...team of artisans and restorers spent 18 months polishing and gilding using only the original techniques and materials. The Ballroom was filled with scaffolding for over a year, with a team of women ensuring that the frescoes and stucco were returned to their original glories, that the Library’s extraordinary leather wallpaper was seamless again. The Chandeliers went back to their makers in Murano for a cleanup and face-lift, with any missing globe or arm being carefully re-blown...terrazzo floor — or pavement as they call it here — is weeks of layers, carefully applied, dried and sanded before the final stones are selected, placed and then cut and polished...film of the restoration that is shown on the Bang & Olufsen TVs in each room, showing the scale and extent of the work

list of favorite things is always changing...in the Compendium...in each room
currently looks like this: ... cicchetti at Schiavi in San Trovaso.
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Schiavi - we've been there a few times over the years for cicchetti and a glass of wine by the canal. Can recommend it.
its nice to see a hotel match (basically all) recommendations made here (although more overall here)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 3, 2014 at 4:04 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:20 pm

Schiavi - we've been there a few times over the years for cicchetti and a glass of wine by the canal. Can recommend it.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case anyone is interested in Celebrities- the wedding of George Clooney will take place at the hotel on the 27th. The group has apparently booked out both the Aman and the Cipriani so be checking your mailbox for the invitation
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
In case anyone is interested in Celebrities- the wedding of George Clooney will take place at the hotel on the 27th. The group has apparently booked out both the Aman and the Cipriani so be checking your mailbox for the invitation
I will be at the Aman Canal Grande from the 18-22, so am selfishly hoping the wedding prep doesn't in any way impinge on our stay! Will report back.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Groombridge
I will be at the Aman Canal Grande from the 18-22, so am selfishly hoping the wedding prep doesn't in any way impinge on our stay! Will report back.
I am sure you will be fine- and have a good trip.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I am sure you will be fine- and have a good trip.
If not claim for compensation for example another free stay....
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:55 pm

Oh - I understood this Saturday but obviously not! Yes staying at the Cipriani apparently and wedding party at the Aman I was told.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Oh - I understood this Saturday but obviously not! Yes staying at the Cipriani apparently and wedding party at the Aman I was told.
Wedding is on the 27th at Aman.

Many members of the wedding party are also staying at Cipriani.

Both hotels are bought out for the event and will have private water shuttles to/from.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
has everyone seen richard e grants hotel secrets on venice- quite a handy way to differentiate between the best hotels- he didnt mention the aman that i noticed but i was popping in and out.. his choices were danelli, bauer, gritti palace Excelsior (lido) and Cipriani. the show is still repeating i think tomorrow night too on sky atantic..
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:58 am

Wedding is on the 27th at Aman.

It seems that the B&B Italia may not have been to George and Amal's tastes as they ordered in antique furniture, Oil paintings and tapestries -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...h-society.html

Oh and CanfordCliffs - I've now downloaded the Richard E Grant programmes - haven't watched the Venice one yet but the one on Ireland was extremely interesting.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:05 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'll admit I had fun following the wedding on the news this weekend. Good for George. He found a smart woman and married her.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:57 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Ericka
I'll admit I had fun following the wedding on the news this weekend. Good for George. He found a smart woman and married her.
Agree and agree. I was at an FT dinner Saturday night attended by a couple who had been at the Aman Venice two weeks ago. I had a lot of fun looking thru her pictures of the property including the room where likely the ceremony was held.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Oilvia must have had her hands full for running this event ^ Guess they imported staff from other Aman properties ?? Good to see George following my travel path
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:55 am

I very much doubt that that the extra staff needed would have been sourced from other Aman hotels - more likely to have come from a US based event management company used to dealing with these sort of occasions. Good as the staff may be at say Amankila I can't see they'd be used to seeing that champagne glasses of these A listers!

Photos are in American Vogue out now - I wonder who in the UK will have the exclusive rights? Like Ericka I was following the various stages of the wedding avidly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.