Aman Canal Grande, Venice, Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Canal Grande, Venice, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
looking at pics again, taken from canal, i guess upper floors are fine from behind garden
if spending 2000, may be better to spend 2500 if that will guarantee desired location (because room not category)
at 2500 via virtuoso also would have chance of upgrade to canal front

if everyone here takes some pics, we should have different room categories and locations represented
i will be doing a report with as much as possible
It will be good to see pics when they are developed because if one pays 2,000 Euros plus taxes (10% etc) for a Canal View and 1500 Euros for a non-guaranteed partial canal view room, I shutter what a 1000 Euro room looks at.. It reinforces my original comment last week about how they should have used the lowest category rooms for a larger spa and for expanding the size of the other rooms.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackbook
It reinforces my original comment last week about how they should have used the lowest category rooms for a larger spa and for expanding the size of the other rooms.
would have meant 18 rooms instead of 24 rooms. think about rate increase, and these are intro rates
location of rooms in category would determine what space could have been used for
i recall spa being in back of canal front building
there was a quote that zecha did drop 3 rooms, and i remember 27 rooms in plans

if the other 3 european aman keep seasons, i cant imagine venice wont likewise add seasons, since it can be most seasonal in terms of events and city occupancy levels

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:00 am
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if youre saying 18 rooms instead of 24 rooms, think about rate increase, and these are intro rates
I would suspect they raise the rates by 10% for 2014... Honestly, though, if one is already set to pay 2000 euros a night for the good rooms, adding a little bit more on the rate to accommodate a larger spa and larger rooms would be a price I would personally pay.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trickster10
Videoclip (in croatian, but Adrian Zecha and Olivia Richli speaks in english) about Aman Canal Grande with some shoots of interiors.
http://http://m.dnevnik.hr/galerija/...-290748.html#0
Here is the working link (fantastic interior shots of the Aman):

http://dnevnik.hr/showbuzz/inmagazin...-290748.html#0
looks incredible to me.

"amanjunkie" ! (said in voiceover)
olivia richli describes, also >
would you do it like that at home...do you put a sign in your bathroom saying "please hang your towel if you don't want it washed" [shaking head no] no
owner, who inherited palazzo, is first one interviewed
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:43 pm

I completely agree with Kage It looks stunning..
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:20 pm

More great photos...

http://nuovavenezia.gelocal.it/foto-...-1.7138619?p=0

Article in translated English that accompanies it: http://nuovavenezia.gelocal.it/crona...ooms-1.7144031

Last edited by Blackbook; Jun 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Article in translated English that accompanies it: http://nuovavenezia.gelocal.it/crona...ooms-1.7144031
Italian dinner is served in the ballroom, whilst the Japanese option is provided in the mandarin garden...Padua-born chef (Lorenzo Bau), a Japanese chef

24 suites (each ranging from 50 to 150 square metres)...brass key to open the rooms, which are not numbered, but rather named...bathrobes that feel like real fur

a turret on the sixth floor, a small wooden bridge over Canal Grande, a back entrance for those looking for particular discretion...6 thousand square metres of common areas...11-metre taxi created specifically for the Aman, available 24 hours a day
1.5 acres? im assuming that includes gardens. which seems a little odd.

edit - i didnt find anything
edit - when i said looks incredible to me, wasnt referring to furniture

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 17, 2013 at 3:06 pm
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:10 pm

Great find, Kage!

As there are no TRs yet (which is understandable), these are the best views and glimpses I've had of Aman Venice ... and I have to say that I am becoming less and less impressed. Granted, I am not at all a fan of Rococo design, but from the video and pictures this does not seem like a harmonious balance between Aman styling and a completely renovated Palazzo.

First, the B&O TVs in the rooms just look ghastly; I've mentioned that before, but for the life of me I cannot fathom why Zecha et al decided to put TVs in the room period, much less just resting on the floor. Too, the screens behind the beds seem like cursory attempts to differentiate the bathroom from the bedrooms.

And, in general, I find there to be a dissonance in implementing standard Aman furnishings (clean lines, sleek design) in a grand Italian palace. The chairs in the, I'm presuming, common areas seem completely out of place, for example.

Clearly others have different opinions, which is great and what makes the FT world go 'round.

I'm very curious to see some detailed TRs, especially those with more "candid" photos of the property. As it appears to me now, this property is far, FAR down the list of places I would like to visit ... I hope said TRs are able to change my first impressions, as I know the service levels should be "typically Aman" superfluous.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:37 pm

I completely disagree. I think the walls and original historical
features look great, the furniture simply s@cks.
It's terrible, very office like and modern wanna-be. Terrible.

Seeing the video I crossed this hotel off of my list. Not interested.
The roof terrace has no Venice landmark seen anywhere,
compare it to Europa and Regina with an amazing location where
you can see this (my pictures) kind of architecture from your roof terrace,
Aman has nothing to offer... Sorry, but for me the location
and authentic historical feel are the most important.
I also want a unique room with a great view, seems like the canal
views are somewhat limited too...

Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:39 pm

I do wish they found a more subtle place to put the TVs as you note. However, it is a historical building and I presume there are constraints on what you can and can't do. On the screen, I presume that suite in particular has more constraints. One can't easily just suddenly move that architectural detail. I personally like the contrast between the Rocco and the Aman modern look. It allows the Rocco to be the focus of the place while letting the furniture melt in the background. I also like the contrast of the contemporary design and the more traditional architecural elements, its refreshing.

I personally find the fake historical room furniture that adorns the Regina and the Europa to be rather cliche and dowdy.

Great photos!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Hyatt Gold Passport
i can agree on something, this ridicolous B&O flat screens are so contradictory with what Olivia is speaking about; "Well i'm describe them as you wouldn't spot them on the plane, they are not flashy... thet don't came with blink..."

These B&O flat TV are: very expensive with terrible picture quality, so the same are spottable on a plane, flashy and really blink"

I can agree that the Aman furniture and Rococo interiors are hard to fit together, but in Venice, IMHO, this is refreshing. But without this horrible nouveau riche B&O stuff. This may fit in Baku, but not in Serenissima.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:22 pm

Thanks Kage for the pics and video!

I think there is a difference between "badly-taken" and "candid" pics, and the pictures from the articles remind me of the former... Horrible lighting and careless framing, rendering the pictures not exactly flattering
On the other hand the decor and general ambience look much better in the video, and the garden is simply wonderful

The furnitures reminded me of that in Amansara - slick black chair etc, which continues well with Aman's theme of elegant simplicity. Not so sure it fits in smoothly with the opulent Rococo interior though...
I would ask the B&O TV to be taken away during my stay!

Europe & Regina has a gorgeous location, shame it is managed by Westin, I would fly there immediately if Aman takes over (I believe it is where "The Talented Mr. Ripley" is filmed)
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Trickster10
These B&O flat TV are: very expensive with terrible picture quality
Very expensive yes, terrible picture quality this is untrue. B&O design is very unique, you can like it or hate it, but the quality is exceptional.

We were supposed to go to Aman Venice end of July but Pierre (just like some of you) was not impressed at all by the pictures and he changed the reservation to Four Seasons Florence. Quite happy as I wanted to go in Florence for a long time. But slightly disappointed also as it is always great to try a new property.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by halibahs
Europe & Regina has a gorgeous location, shame it is managed by Westin, I would fly there immediately if Aman takes over (I believe it is where "The Talented Mr. Ripley" is filmed)
Yes and yes, we did stay in The Talented Mr. Ripley suite and I will take it
(with Westin umbrella) over that new Aman any day. Maybe we were
just lucky, but I have great memories from E&R.
But again, people have different priorities, for me the terrace like that
can not be beat in Venice anywhere

Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:08 am

Thanks for the pics Big_Foot!
I must say we adore that balcony and with it going at the rate of around EUR 1000 (the price of a garden view room in Aman), it is very tempting
Would you have more interior pics to share? How was the service there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.