Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite hotels in 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Not a fan of Shutters.
Two surf competitions this week, but Shutters isn't that great.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Best, In order, this year

Capella Lord Howe Island NSW Australia (Number 1 life-time favorite):-::-::-:

Lizard Island Resort:-::-:

FS Sultanahmet:-:

Tom Tom Suites Istanbul:-:

Halekulani Honolulu:-:
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
These are the hotels which I tried for the first time in 2012 which I would be happy to revisit:
Raffles Singapore
Le Crillon
FS George V
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Lots of choices so far this year. I'd go with:

1. STR San Francisco (multiple stays this year....it's really grown on me)
2. RC-NYCP
3. RC Moscow

There are plenty of possible honorable mentions in the FS/RC/MO/etc universe, but these three stuck out.

Keep in mind this is just my experiences in 2012; I wouldnt usually rate the STR SFO > RC NYCP.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Lots of choices so far this year. I'd go with:

1. STR San Francisco (multiple stays this year....it's really grown on me)
2. RC-NYCP
3. RC Moscow

There are plenty of possible honorable mentions in the FS/RC/MO/etc universe, but these three stuck out.

Keep in mind this is just my experiences in 2012; I wouldnt usually rate the STR SFO > RC NYCP.
I'm surprised by RC-NYCP. What did you like about it exactly?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by patricksw
I'm surprised by RC-NYCP. What did you like about it exactly?
plenty of positive thoughts here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-new-york.html

and here with report of a recent stay:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...roperty-4.html

and dozens of more threads...just do a search. My specific views on my last stay are in the second link.

Perhaps you're itching to tell us a story of a bad experience there? We're used to that sort of thing here. As you know if you'e here often, in this forum you'll find complaints about the RC-NYCP, FS-GV, the Amans, you name it! It doesnt hurt anyone's feelings nor will it on its own dissuade me/anyone from thinking less of the hotels we've logged dozens of stays in.

So if that's the case....you may fire when ready.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

With 3 months still to go, I'm reluctant to name a favorite hotel/resort stay of 2012 with finality, but so far, the tops for me this year have been:

The Farm at Cape Kidnappers
Ballyfin
Amanfayun
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:45 pm

And the worst stay so far in 2012 at a "luxury" hotel: The Sacher Salzburg -- shower in tub, which wildly fluctuating water temperatures; in-room internet only picks up a signal if you are sitting on the toilet; dilapidated rooms; terrible service ("May I use your fitness center while I wait for my room to be prepared?" "No, the fitness center is only available to guests who already have their room key.")
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:02 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Groombridge
And the worst stay so far in 2012 at a "luxury" hotel: The Sacher Salzburg key
I reccommended the "Blaue Gans" earlier for all Festival fans and would certainly never stay at the Sacher.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:20 am
Aman Contributor Badge

And the worst stay so far in 2012 at a "luxury" hotel: The Sacher Salzburg -- shower in tub, which wildly fluctuating water temperatures; in-room internet only picks up a signal if you are sitting on the toilet; dilapidated rooms; terrible service ("May I use your fitness center while I wait for my room to be prepared?" "No, the fitness center is only available to guests who already have their room key.")
OMG !
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With 3 months still to go, I'm reluctant to name a favorite hotel/resort stay of 2012 with finality, but so far, the tops for me this year have been:

The Farm at Cape Kidnappers
Ballyfin
Amanfayun
wolgan?
was aman summer palace ok?

1. Villa Feltrinelli (Lago di Garda, Italy)
2. The Farm at Cape Kidnappers (New Zealand)
3. Amankora (Bhutan)
4. Oberoi Udaivilas (Udaipur, India)
5. Wolgan Valley (Australia)
too late to change my Sacher reservation w/o full cancellation penalty
have you ever checked out early, or tried to?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 28, 2012 at 9:45 am
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:25 pm

In response to Kage's questions:

Wolgan Valley was sensational, but I was there at the tail end of 2011, so I excluded it from this 2012 list.

Aman at Summer Palace was also top notch, so if I were to add 4th and 5th best stays of 2012 to date, I'd put Aman-Summer Palace at #4, and Amanruya at #5. Amanruya's glories were just slightly dampened by its inability to run smoothly at capacity -- housekeeping was really a major problem, never appearing at all on several of the days of our week-long stay. And the staff mostly lacked the tremendous warmth of virtually everyone we met at the 2 Chinese resorts. Staff were much less experienced in English at Amanruya than they were at the Chinese Amans, and never addressed us by name, which was a constant at the Chinese Amans. So by way of contrast, the Chinese Amans are operating at the very highest levels right now, with impeccably trained and endlessly nurturing staff. I was blown away by how personalized the experiences at Amanfayun and Aman-Summer Palace were, even by Aman's highest of standards. I'll try to post a more detailed review and photos soon.

I was only booked for one night at Sacher Salzburg, or I would have left early.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Are we talking resorts or city hotels. Hard to imagine that I would rank a city hotel over a nice resort.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Groombridge, sorry i should have figured that out considering you said january, like thailand trip. re china aman - wow. comments like that are always especially convenient for anyone who travels near term.

5khours, thread says favorites in 2012 and OP listed a resort.
Originally Posted by henrikfromdenmark
Babylonstoren
nice to see ^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:47 am

My best stays in 2012 so far are (I would give all 10 out of 10): Chewton Glen, Borgo Santo Pietro, Babylonstoren, Delaire Graff, Ballyfin, Frégate, Six Senses Zighy Bay, Saint James Paris (incredible renovation) and finally 7 Singita safari camps where I rate Singita Sweni (6 rooms) as my all time favorite hotel/resort/lodge experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.