Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:27 pm

My favorite stays thus far, no order:

Jumeirah Zabeel Saray, Dubai
Raffles, Singapore
Aman Summer Palace, Beijing
Eastern & Oriental, Penang
RCHK (many stays, it's an addiction )

I'm wary of how easily hotels are given stars in Dubai but the Zabeel was a very pleasant surprise. It was a bit too crowded than I prefer, but I still had the loveliest of times and liked it much more than the Burj al Arab. I've also stayed at both the One&Only hotels, Raffles, Armani, both Addresses, and a slew of other 5 stars (or "5 stars" ) in Dubai which were all nice, but I'm going to make a week long Zabeel stay a yearly habit.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
The Lenox - Boston, MA

Best hotel ever.
Stayed here this summer and very much enjoyed it. Nice change from normal SPGs I stay in for work. We hosted a meeting here and the main meeting room had a domed ceiling - outstanding acoustics. Would host a meeting here again.

After booking a dinner reservation, the concierge actually looked me and my coworker up on twitter and tweeted us to have a nice meal. Nice touch.

Very nice, personal service. Best hotel ever would be an overstatement in my opinion.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:02 pm

1) Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn - Chateau St. Jean Suite, wonderful stay. We walked to downtown Sonoma our first day there, not realizing quite how far it was. Called the hotel and they sent the brand new BMW (740 something or other) to pick us up...
2) Hotel Saratoga Havana - It may not be world class, but hey, you are in Cuba! Rooftop pool was enjoyable with a good bar and food that was fine. Location nice. For Havana, pretty darn good.
3) Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman - Spa, room, pool, beach... Grand Cayman in Feb... Relaxing and comfortable.
4) Fairmont Millenium Park Chicago. Yes, we got the suite and gold floor upgrade, which helped. Great location, we love Chicago. (although, next time we will give the Park Hyatt a try.)
5) Ritz-Carlton South Beach - Yes, we were here over Memorial Day coinciding with Hip Hop weekend. And loved it. The club level (Ritz CC) upgrade, and Oceanfront room with balcony certainly helped. But really just a good property with good restaurants and a good beach in a good location...
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman...in Feb
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Feb 2012
before or after feb 17? that appears to be first court date >

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycomp...p-for-auction/

Ritz hotel property up for...31 October auction

12 unsold condominium units...14 unsold lots [out of an original 19, five of which have since been developed] that were designated for development of “deckhouses”. There is also some vacant land available for future development.

Ritz-Carlton resort, including 365 guest rooms and suites. That includes 65 rooms available through contractual agreements with third-party condominium owners on the property.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:49 am

Ouch...

Our stay was Feb 2012, and was very good. The Spa was exceptional, and the beach quite nice.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
2011 was much better for me. For 2012, I'd say

45 Park Lane
4S Jackson Hole
4S Seattle

Should really add a 4th to complete the theme.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Neither hotel was perfect in all respects, but I have recently had great stays at the Hotel el Jebel in Taormina (amazing service) and Hospes Madrid (amazing food).
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Valveking
My top 4 this year:

Four Seasons Hualalai
Four Seasons Punta Mita
Montage Deer Valley
Dorchester London

All were great.
Interested to know how you compare FS Hualalai to FS Punta Mita?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mktozd
Interested to know how you compare FS Hualalai to FS Punta Mita?
Originally Posted by Valveking
We are staying in a Ke'Alalua villa here. It is very well laid out. It is about 2800 square feet inside with 3 bedrooms with another 800 square feet of lanai space. It also has a lovely garden shower which everybody in my family loves.

Our residence club villa at Punta Mita is about 2000 square feet with another 800 or so on the terrace. The terrace at Punta Mita has a better ocean view and more comfortable chaise lounges. It also has an outdoor shower.

I will give a quick comparison of some various aspects of the two resorts. They have a somewhat similar feel. Both are quite spread out with Punta Mita having less rooms spread out over more space, but both are very appealing low rise resorts. Both are surrounded by lovely residential areas, but at Punta Mita the homeowners are not allowed to use the Four Seasons hotel unless the house is on the Four seasons proper.

Pools- Hualalai has a more diverse selection of pools, but none of them is as breathtaking as the main Nuna pool at Punta Mita which looks as if it falls right off a cliff into the ocean below. The adult Palm Grove pool at Hualalai is better than its counterpart at Punta Mita. It is very quiet and the setting is extremely tranquil. The adult pool at Punta Mita is beautiful but It has no ocean view and can get quite hot. We have been using the Seashell pool when we have our kids in tow. It is nice, but can be a little wild.

Food- I would give the edge to Hualalai. We have enjoyed all of the restaurants here very much. We especially like that all of the restaurants are on the beach here. It allows us to eat while our kids run can run around on the beach and have fun. It makes for a very relaxing way to eat as a parent. We can do this also at Bahia at Punta Mita, but at Hualalai you can do it all three of the restaurants.

Beach- Punta Mita clearly has a better beach. Sitting on the quiet beach at Punta Mita under a palapa with just a few other people around is a sublime experience. While Hualalai is a great beach resort, the beach is itself is just serviceable and not really good for ocean swimming.

On the whole I like each of the resorts equally and would rate them as the top two beach resorts in North America with Esperanza a small step behind. I will think of some more to add tomorrow, but for now I need to go watch a little of the Olympics.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:16 am

I'm going to be a bore and put my pick in terms of qpr, which makes The Peninsula Bangkok the clear winner.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this thread up here for end of year travel.

Just logged a stay at St Regis Bahia Beach PR. While the room was great with an incredible shower, the service was awful. I was younger then most guests so they always gave me a glaring stare. The same thing occurred at the St Regis Princeville in March. Maybe it is just my age that throws the people are the front desk off.
edit: it hasn't been an issue any other place.

FYI: The Horned Dorsett in Rincon is a great place. I went there for 4 nights after the St Regis and it was amazing. Each room with their own plunge pool. Great for surfers.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
For 2012, my favorites are:
1. Hotel Caruso, Ravello
2. Amanpulo
3. Shangri-La, Paris
4. Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
5. Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
6. Park Hyatt Milano

Disappointments for 2012:
1. Park Hyatt Paris - Vendôme

Looking forward to in Q1 2013:
1. Mandarin Oriental, Paris
2. The Dolder Grand
3. Waldorf Astoria Berlin
4. Armani Hotel Milano

Last edited by Mr. Strong; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:31 pm
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:20 am

Programs: AY Gold, Shangri La Golden circle
My favourite in 2012 was Shangri La Valley wing in SIN, a great resort like city hotel. Raffles SIN was an interesting experience as well.

My all time favourite is Peninsula Tokyo.

Next year looking forward to Peninsula Paris.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator
our all time best.. without any hesitation: One&Only Reethi Rah.

Pristine beaches, JeanMichel Gathy (pool)villa`s, highest quality restaurant venues and service levels reaching the best possible standards. We are fans!

We were there a few months ago and can`t wait to go back in a few months
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by luxury
For me:

MO Hyde Park
FS Park Lane
FS Lisbon
MO Barcelona
MO Paris
The Lowell
The Mark
You really like the FS London Hyde Park? I find the rooms even suits to be very small. Same with the Lowell, though I haven't been there in more than 10 years now.

And the MO Paris, I like the outdoor seating, but doesn't it remind you of a Holiday Inn?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.