Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NikitaT
Conservatorium Hotel according to me !!
+1
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:04 am
Suspended

There's a consensus on FT! On the Luxury Hotels forum, nonetheless! Time to celebrate!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
There's a consensus on FT! On the Luxury Hotels forum, nonetheless! Time to celebrate!
Or there just aren't very many good hotels in Amsterdam
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Plenty of good hotels in Amsterdam, maybe the truly luxurious segment is lacking a bit.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
Plenty of good hotels in Amsterdam, maybe the truly luxurious segment is lacking a bit.
Interesting- I find Amsterdam to be a bit like Stockholm- very few luxury hotels and even then hit and miss.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What else did I say....
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Heading to the Waldorf there for two nights in Backer Suite this weekend. Will report back as prelim report from another couple who stayed last month was really great.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CarletonSloth
Heading to the Waldorf there for two nights in Backer Suite this weekend. Will report back as prelim report from another couple who stayed last month was really great.
I'd imagine booking into a suite would produce a good report.

Would like some info on the interior courtyard. From what I understand you're not allowed to imbibe out there. Some other restrictions due to historical regulations in the core. If you can find anything out, please report.

Also would like your .02 cents on the restaurant.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:05 pm

Does anyone know when Sofitel took over management of The Grand? More importantly, is it still The Grand circa 2000 or just another drab Sofitel?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
Does anyone know when Sofitel took over management of The Grand? More importantly, is it still The Grand circa 2000 or just another drab Sofitel?
I think it was a Sofitel in 2000 or shortly afterwards. But it is not at all a drab Sofitel. It is part of Sofitels Legend properties of which there are only 7 members. These are the top Sofitels around the world. See http://www.sofitel-legend.com/en/

And they did a very extensive and expensive renovation about 7-10 years ago so it's better than it was in 2000.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamesEaston
Not drab at all. Extensive renovation (as stimpy said), with great management in place. Unique all around.

One of my 3 go-to properties in AMS (along with Conservatorium & De L'Europe).
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I think it was a Sofitel in 2000 or shortly afterwards. But it is not at all a drab Sofitel. It is part of Sofitels Legend properties of which there are only 7 members. These are the top Sofitels around the world. See http://www.sofitel-legend.com/en/

And they did a very extensive and expensive renovation about 7-10 years ago so it's better than it was in 2000.
Thanks - and......

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Not drab at all. Extensive renovation (as stimpy said), with great management in place. Unique all around.

One of my 3 go-to properties in AMS (along with Conservatorium & De L'Europe).
Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:17 pm

Waldorf Amsterdam

We had a very pleasant stay there last summer. Some kinks were still being worked out. Regarding the inner courtyard, you may not order drinks out there but we did bring our drinks from the bar out there to enjoy. One needs to be a bit subtle and it would be so much better if they could serve you out there. I would STRONGLY avoid the ground floor rooms as you are basically looking out onto the sidewalk but the high floor rooms with canal or courtyard views are lovely.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCMom
Regarding the inner courtyard, you may not order drinks out there but we did bring our drinks from the bar out there to enjoy. One needs to be a bit subtle and it would be so much better if they could serve you out there.
The biggest complaint I hear with this property.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:09 am

Personally i found the Sofitel legend awful - terrible, garish design and very poor food.

The Conservatorium is the best, followed by The Dylan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.