Best hotel in Amsterdam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
First time in Amsterdam for 3 nights in August. Consensus seems to be the Conservatorium, correct? Just wanted to make sure this is a good option for first-timers in summer.
Yes - Close to the park which is great fun in Summer. Make sure to not book the split-level room.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by erik123
Yes - Close to the park which is great fun in Summer. Make sure to not book the split-level room.
Ha, good to hear, as that is what I was considering (duplex). Any reasons why to avoid? We've enjoyed the layouts of duplex rooms in the past.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Ha, good to hear, as that is what I was considering (duplex). Any reasons why to avoid? We've enjoyed the layouts of duplex rooms in the past.
I loathe The Conservatorium. A/C broke down in the duplex suite I had booked -- was offered neither an upgrade nor a room change. The arrogance at this hotel was unbelievable. I hear it may (!) be better now but I don't care to try.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by scented
I loathe The Conservatorium. A/C broke down in the duplex suite I had booked -- was offered neither an upgrade nor a room change. The arrogance at this hotel was unbelievable. I hear it may (!) be better now but I don't care to try.
Glad I stayed at WA. Also don't like Conservatorium location. Only good for Musichall and Museums
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Glad I stayed at WA. Also don't like Conservatorium location. Only good for Musichall and Museums
You chose exactly the right hotel. I loved the WA when I went for lunch and dinner, which is a rare occasion for me -- most of them are better Hiltons.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:24 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

For first-time visitors (unless you count an 8 hour stay a long time ago), is the WA better than the conservatorium? I'm mostly interested in strolling around. Service doesn't matter so much to me I guess in this case
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Amsterdam is pretty walkable, so location of most hotels is less a factor.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by tcmb99
Staying at de L'Europe this May. Initially I was a little concerned because I had never heard of it, and booked it only because it has rooms with balconies, but reviews here seem like it is a good choice after all.
I have had two extremely pleasant stays at de L'Europe in recent years. Wonderful location, thoughtful service and beautifully decorated room. I wouldn't hesitate to return.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:55 pm

Interesting that there isn't a consensus even for top 3 hotels

Stayed in the Conservatorium in August, liked the hard product but found service unimpressive. Interestingly rooms are very similar to Jerusalem Mamilla hotel (same owner)

Checking in to the Dylan today, interestingly I think FHR had a significantly better rate than anything on Kayak.

Might switch around throughout the week as traveling alone, looking at the Andaz for price or De LeEurope for quality. A bit nervous with the Dylan being a small hotel
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by RTW1
Amsterdam is pretty walkable, so location of most hotels is less a factor.
If you like to walk. From Conservatorium it can be 2quite a walk to many sights. For me it matters.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From 5-10minutes to the major museums and maybe another 10 more to get you into the centre. That's like saying you don't want to walk at all.... and if that's the case public transport is always a few minutes away. Like within 2 minutes from the Conservatorium.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From 5-10minutes to the major museums and maybe another 10 more to get you into the centre. That's like saying you don't want to walk at all.... and if that's the case public transport is always a few minutes away. Like within 2 minutes from the Conservatorium.
Iīs around 30 minutes to the DAM (oround 2,5 kilometers)....... So canīt understand your comment. If you travel with a woman 2,4 Kilometers can be a real problem.

Public transportation may be an option for many, not for all. Also itīs not the same if you step out the hotel and are in the centre or if you have to use public transportation. So the conclusion that locotion doesnīt matter much in Amsterdam is still not correct in my eyes.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Iīs around 30 minutes to the DAM (oround 2,5 kilometers)....... So canīt understand your comment. If you travel with a woman 2,4 Kilometers can be a real problem.
I am sure that there is something lost in translation here as I have many female friends who can power walk/run when in heels for miles while I am lagging behind in sneakers.

Back to the topic: Conservatorium is the hotel of choice for us also while in town and never felt that its location was an issue. Appreciate also that my service expectations are low.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Public transportation may be an option for many, not for all. Also itīs not the same if you step out the hotel and are in the centre or if you have to use public transportation. So the conclusion that locotion doesnīt matter much in Amsterdam is still not correct in my eyes.
You have just picked the farthest and least desirable location to go to :-).
But you forgot that the Concertgebouw, the van Gogh, Stedelijk and Rijksmuseum are just a stones throw away. Plenty of restaurants/bars/shopping in the area as well.

But if you want a location that requires no walking or public transportation for visiting the sites not one hotel will do, or you have to take a taxi everywhere you go. And you will miss out on the rest of Amsterdam, it's a city that should be enjoyed by walking. So I get that the Conservatorium might not be for you nor might the area be of your preference, but location is not a problem here.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have just picked the farthest and least desirable location to go to :-).
But you forgot that the Concertgebouw, the van Gogh, Stedelijk and Rijksmuseum are just a stones throw away. Plenty of restaurants/bars/shopping in the area as well.

But if you want a location that requires no walking or public transportation for visiting the sites not one hotel will do, or you have to take a taxi everywhere you go. And you will miss out on the rest of Amsterdam, it's a city that should be enjoyed by walking. So I get that the Conservatorium might not be for you nor might the area be of your preference, but location is not a problem here.
I didn't forget, read my first post. Also I know many woman do powerwalking, was married with one for years.

In the end no location is perfect for everyone. By the way I know all the museums, last time I simply took my car...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.