Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:13 pm

Conservatorium...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by grumbler
So what do people think are the very best choices there now - Conservatorium ? Dylan ?
Number one for me is The Conservatorium, on every level, although location is not on the canals.

Number two is The Dylan, which is on the canals - a more traditional choice.

Both have very good food.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:55 pm
Suspended

I think Conservatorium may be better for someone whose been to AMS before, and is looking for more of a place to relax than be right smack dab in the middle of things.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I think Conservatorium may be better for someone whose been to AMS before, and is looking for more of a place to relax than be right smack dab in the middle of things.
Good point, although getting around from The Conservatorium was not too much of a hassle and it is, of course, just around the corner from the best shops, so it has its advantages

I agree though that if this is a first visit, then staying on the canals is a more authentic experience. Easy to walk around from, too.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Good point, although getting around from The Conservatorium was not too much of a hassle and it is, of course, just around the corner from the best shops, so it has its advantages

I agree though that if this is a first visit, then staying on the canals is a more authentic experience. Easy to walk around from, too.
Exactly. FWIW, I think the Conservatorium location 'can't be beat'....after 6+ times to AMS, I'm kind of sick of being too close to Dam Square. To me, it's Vondelpark & the shopping that are more attractive than anything near Dam Square or the inner canal rings..

Such a walkable city, too.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
I love the Amstel. If you are a royal ambassador at ichotels they treat you well and the place has fabulous views over the canal.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
I love the Amstel. If you are a royal ambassador at ichotels they treat you well and the place has fabulous views over the canal.
True, but you almost have to have some sort of status here (or book through Virtuoso/FHR/whatever) to get a memorable room.

The horror stories I've heard from their entry level rooms could really scare someone off.

That said, their 3rd cat. & higher rooms are supposed to be fabulous.

FWIW, their 2015 Virtuoso amenities are quite generous - especially if you're a first time visitor to the city (Rijk tickets; canal cruise; etc).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
we got a super suite so that did help our opinion of the place, i havent yet posted a review. Amsterdam is a great town as long as you dont get run over by the bikes.

And yes dont book the bottom room at the IC Amstel and you will love it!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:53 am

I used to love the Amstel and yes, I was treated very well and, each time, had a fabulous view from the suite, but despite the very good service and lovely staff, this hotel is incredibly tired and really needs a major re-think. A couple of years ago they were going to do a big renovation, but judging by the website, nothing has changed.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I used to love the Amstel and yes, I was treated very well and, each time, had a fabulous view from the suite, but despite the very good service and lovely staff, this hotel is incredibly tired and really needs a major re-think. A couple of years ago they were going to do a big renovation, but judging by the website, nothing has changed.
That's true in the intensely competitive luxury hotel market, but Amsterdam doesn't have much of that. And many or most business travelers don't care as much about freshly renovated rooms. As long as the bed and bath are in excellent shape, which is true at the Amstel, then I'm happy. Sometimes old/classic design is a good thing.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
That's true in the intensely competitive luxury hotel market, but Amsterdam doesn't have much of that. And many or most business travelers don't care as much about freshly renovated rooms. As long as the bed and bath are in excellent shape, which is true at the Amstel, then I'm happy. Sometimes old/classic design is a good thing.
Don't get me wrong - I appreciate old/classic design, but I don't appreciate tired old/classic design. And when you talk about business travellers not caring much about freshly renovated rooms, then I suspect you mean men. Women tend to be a bit more picky about these things and, yes, we travel for business, too.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate old/classic design, but I don't appreciate tired old/classic design. And when you talk about business travellers not caring much about freshly renovated rooms, then I suspect you mean men. Women tend to be a bit more picky about these things and, yes, we travel for business, too.
I'm a male, and I agree with your sentiment.

That's kind of what I was getting at with my above-post.

It's a tired hotel, and 9/10 of the positive experiences I hear are from people who booked into (or were upgraded to) much higher category rooms.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes, you got it right. I was being too politically correct to just come out and say men, or most men anyways. When I travel with a woman, I'm careful to choose an "un-tired" design. But again, there's no new FS or MO in Amsterdam so the Amstel will do. And Dutch women anyways, absolutely love the Amstel.

And pricesquire yes I am of course talking about the upscale rooms. I've never seen the regular rooms at the Amstel thank goodness. But the common areas are fine and as I said above, I think it has the best health club of any hotel in town.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
I've never seen the regular rooms at the Amstel thank goodness.
lol!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
And yes dont book the bottom room
More or less at every hotel.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.