Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well , glenny84 , you lasted longer . There was some noisy party in the next room , we did not even stay the night !! That was many moons ago & the room was nowhere like MOHK , MOBKK or any other MOs we have stayed in ..
Yikes. We ALMOST didn't stay the night. Half the outlets in the room didn't work - another outlet was hanging off of the wall, walls/paint peeling, and combine it feeling like a Disney Hotel (it's pretty large) - we had enough;

I don't understand any hype about the club lounge at this one either. The MO PVG club lounge blows this one out of the water. I've had solid rooms there, BCN was ok (even if the room was properly sized for a gerbil), Tokyo, and HKG.

I vow to never step foot in the MO SIN again, lol.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Sometimes, I really don't get the fuss over MO...but then again, I feel just about the same for most hotels in SIN. Maybe after NYC, Aman can put one in their HQ city
I really don't either. After having significant issues at my last 4 MO stays in a row, I'm done. For SIN - my go tos moving forward will be FBH (if needing to be closer in) or the Capella.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:52 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Confirmation bias: most people are too beholden to a preferred (hotel) brand that makes them feel so special that they too often cannot honestly evaluate the specific examples of that brand in particular locations. Especially where that brand location is a weaker example. That's also why branding is so powerful--people assume the best of the brands they love and tend to ignore weaknesses.

In the example of MO, I think so many people love the MO in Bangkok and Tokyo that they cannot imagine it won't be as wonderful in a place like SIN. And the ignore the obvious weaknesses of the SIN property. Confirmation bias strikes again.

I think the other luxury chain where this confirmation bias is most prevalent is Four Seasons, followed by Ritz Carlton. There are way too many who blindly assume that every FS or RC is somehow the best in any market...even when it is blatantly obvious that isn't the case. It is obvious when confirmation bias strikes for these because the adherents too often cannot accept that theirs is not the absolute best but is only one of several or even many that are considered the best.

I love the StR brand as everyone knows, but that didn't preclude me from honestly dismissing the Washington, DC, and Dubai StR (and Houston) properties as being too dated and/or with too many service issues for me to return for the time being. I don't blindly assume that my beloved StR is the best in every market or even most markets. I think the StR is one of the best in many, if not most, markets...but a bit weaker in some markets, too.

I love the PH brand, too, but that didn't preclude me from honestly critiquing the Vienna property as lacking any sense of place and having some intrinsic service weaknesses.
Hi, my name is Hao and I have bias towards Amans
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well , glenny84 , you lasted longer . There was some noisy party in the next room , we did not even stay the night !! That was many moons ago & the room was nowhere like MOHK , MOBKK or any other MOs we have stayed in ..
The MO in SIN is an ageing property with focus on business travelors. Nothing special really. Only the club lounge is quite nice and that's about it. Cannot be compared at all with those in HK, Taipei or BKK.

btw did you demand for a room change or refund?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:35 pm

Confirmation bias: most people are too beholden to a preferred (hotel) brand that makes them feel so special that they too often cannot honestly evaluate the specific examples of that brand in particular locations. Especially where that brand location is a weaker example. That's also why branding is so powerful--people assume the best of the brands they love and tend to ignore weaknesses.

In the example of MO, I think so many people love the MO in Bangkok and Tokyo that they cannot imagine it won't be as wonderful in a place like SIN. And the ignore the obvious weaknesses of the SIN property. Confirmation bias strikes again.

I think the other luxury chain where this confirmation bias is most prevalent is Four Seasons, followed by Ritz Carlton. There are way too many who blindly assume that every FS or RC is somehow the best in any market...even when it is blatantly obvious that isn't the case. It is obvious when confirmation bias strikes for these because the adherents too often cannot accept that theirs is not the absolute best but is only one of several or even many that are considered the best.

I love the StR brand as everyone knows, but that didn't preclude me from honestly dismissing the Washington, DC, and Dubai StR (and Houston) properties as being too dated and/or with too many service issues for me to return for the time being. I don't blindly assume that my beloved StR is the best in every market or even most markets. I think the StR is one of the best in many, if not most, markets...but a bit weaker in some markets, too.

I love the PH brand, too, but that didn't preclude me from honestly critiquing the Vienna property as lacking any sense of place and having some intrinsic service weaknesses.
Yes agree. And in Singapore none of the high end groups really have great properties, they are merely acceptable.

I’m interested in trying the InterContinental heritage wing, and actually the new Westin looks quite nice if one likes views from a high floor. Andaz has yet to open, but could be an option.

The Ritz-Catlton and Mandarin Oriental are just big monstrosities with Marina Bay views. Perfectly okay, I suppose, but not what I call luxury hotels. Club level service helps, but does not make a huge hotel a luxury hotel. I’m not even sure Singapore has a true luxury hotel, so a good four star option with good F&B and service is just fine for me in Singapore.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
BENLEE , the Duty Manager claimed they were at capacity . It was some complimentary offer from them anyway so we just left after waiting to see if they could do something .
It was many years ago , possibly soon after their last refurbishment and we wondered back then what the hype was about ..
But the restaurants are , thankfully , still decent
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Yes agree. And in Singapore none of the high end groups really have great properties, they are merely acceptable.

I’m interested in trying the InterContinental heritage wing, and actually the new Westin looks quite nice if one likes views from a high floor. Andaz has yet to open, but could be an option.

The Ritz-Catlton and Mandarin Oriental are just big monstrosities with Marina Bay views. Perfectly okay, I suppose, but not what I call luxury hotels. Club level service helps, but does not make a huge hotel a luxury hotel. I’m not even sure Singapore has a true luxury hotel, so a good four star option with good F&B and service is just fine for me in Singapore.
I agree, nothing really seems all that appealing in SIN. We're headed to Indonesia in late-June for our honeymoon, and stopping in Singapore for a couple of nights on the way. I have (at least preliminarily) decided to skip the luxury circuit in SIN and use points at the Intercontinental. It just doesn't seem worth shelling out $600+ per night for a club room at the R-C or regular room at the FBH. Would rather use that money at Amankila!
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I agree, nothing really seems all that appealing in SIN. We're headed to Indonesia in late-June for our honeymoon, and stopping in Singapore for a couple of nights on the way. I have (at least preliminarily) decided to skip the luxury circuit in SIN and use points at the Intercontinental. It just doesn't seem worth shelling out $600+ per night for a club room at the R-C or regular room at the FBH. Would rather use that money at Amankila!
I think you made the right choice. The Singapore InterContinentals aren’t shabby hotels anyway, so it makes total sense to use points there. The money will be much better spent on something special in Bali^
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:29 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Yes. Absolutely agreed. And the very same goes for somewhere like Aman!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Yes. Absolutely agreed. And the very same goes for somewhere like Aman!
I would go as far as to say this especially applies to Aman, and in my opinion Mandarin Oriental.

I love the essential, classic properties from both groups. As well as the contemporary classics as well. But a lot of the new property that sprout up here and there are totally uninteresting, as are the decidedly mediocre city hotels that manage to rest on the laurels of the Manadrin Oriental name and command premium rates as a result of their MO branding.

There are only a half a dozen or so great Mandarin Oriental properties in my opinion, and there are other locations where they are honestly the best in town. On the other hand there are quite a few that are neither objectively great, not the best in town, but are simply overpriced and overrated.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Greetings, folks. Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts offers the following choices for Singapore:

Capella Resort
Four Seasons
Raffles
Fullerton Bay
Ritz-Carlton

I'm hoping to be within walking distance of lively parts of town, especially night life. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:22 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by dhuey
Greetings, folks. Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts offers the following choices for Singapore:

Capella Resort
Four Seasons
Raffles
Fullerton Bay
Ritz-Carlton

I'm hoping to be within walking distance of lively parts of town, especially night life. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I'd certainly remove Ritz Carlton and Raffles...Fullerton Bay will be a better location and hotel than the two. Also, as FYI...Virtuoso Agents can provide an upgrade at booking (in addition to the same other amenities as Amex) for Fullerton Bay. And many Virtuoso TAs are FSPP Advisors may also be able to do the same at FS.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Nov 9, 2017 at 4:29 am
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Not a lot of talk about the Fairmont on here. Any reason? We're strongly considering it, as we have suite upgrade certs and Fairmont Platinum status. Additionally, they offer complimentary bicycles, which is our favorite way to explore a city. The bikes would be our main reason to choose this hotel. (yes, we are millenials), but we also have great memories at many Fairmonts in Canada.
I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, Swisshotel, JW Marriott, Conrad, and the Fairmont has become my "go to" hotel. As many have said, it's hard to find a true luxury experience in Singapore, so why not go for a very pleasant experience like the Fairmont. I like the rooms, pool area, and the restaurants and LOVE the location right next to the Raffles, next to dining, shopping, and the subway. The price is often very reasonable, around $170 USD per room. It is a good value play.

Last edited by JNelson113; Mar 5, 2022 at 6:19 am
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Any experience at the Capella Singapore? particularly for visiting Singapore? Thinking about 4 nights; want something a little more laid back with space and relaxation built in... from what I understand it's still possible to be into Singpore in about 20 mints. Looking at the villas here... thanks!

FDW
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any experience at the Capella Singapore? particularly for visiting Singapore? Thinking about 4 nights; want something a little more laid back with space and relaxation built in... from what I understand it's still possible to be into Singpore in about 20 mints. Looking at the villas here... thanks!

FDW

The villas offer very little improvement over the base rooms, I prefer the main building for proximity to the common spaces, particularly during rain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.