Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any experience at the Capella Singapore? particularly for visiting Singapore? Thinking about 4 nights; want something a little more laid back with space and relaxation built in... from what I understand it's still possible to be into Singpore in about 20 mints. Looking at the villas here... thanks!

FDW
We were there 3 weeks ago and had a great stay (before heading to Amanjiwo, RC Nusa Dua, Amandari, and Amankila). The hard product was great and the villa felt bigger than what we had at the Amans. However, the service was still a notch below. For example, orders would be forgotten or messed up for breakfast, requests for buggies or service items (such as ice) would take 30-60 mins, etc. What annoyed me the most is they charged 12 SGD for a glass of milk for the baby (meals were free for the baby at the Amans at RC). The staff also "mistakenly" knocked on our door in the middle of the night (with the DND light on), which resulted in waking the baby and really annoying my wife. In terms of proximity to the city, it was fine. I commuted each day for work while the family stayed on Sentosa. While I wouldn't stay there if I was traveling alone for work, it's a great place to relax and have a vacation.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
We were there 3 weeks ago and had a great stay (before heading to Amanjiwo, RC Nusa Dua, Amandari, and Amankila). The hard product was great and the villa felt bigger than what we had at the Amans. However, the service was still a notch below. For example, orders would be forgotten or messed up for breakfast, requests for buggies or service items (such as ice) would take 30-60 mins, etc. What annoyed me the most is they charged 12 SGD for a glass of milk for the baby (meals were free for the baby at the Amans at RC). The staff also "mistakenly" knocked on our door in the middle of the night (with the DND light on), which resulted in waking the baby and really annoying my wife. In terms of proximity to the city, it was fine. I commuted each day for work while the family stayed on Sentosa. While I wouldn't stay there if I was traveling alone for work, it's a great place to relax and have a vacation.
good review - any service recovery for the incidents?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
good review - any service recovery for the incidents?
do standard apologies count?

Each incident on its own isn’t a huge deal, but they just contribute to a pattern when put together. GM wasn’t available when I asked or else I would have given him out feedback.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Any experience at the Capella Singapore? particularly for visiting Singapore? Thinking about 4 nights; want something a little more laid back with space and relaxation built in... from what I understand it's still possible to be into Singpore in about 20 mints. Looking at the villas here... thanks!

FDW
We had a great stay there about a month ago. Booked a Premier Room (AMEX FHR 3r d night free) and got upgraded to a Garden Villa with a plunge pool. The hard product (especially compared to the MO) was fantastic. I agree with one of the other posters on here about the service (especially at breakfast on the first day..but it improved subsequent days). I also found the service at the main pool to be almost non-existent. That being said, with the upgrade and 3rd night free, this was a great escape and stay. We also enjoyed the afternoon tea in the library.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Conrad recently finished renovation and it looks quite nice, this hotel generally received positive reviews among Singapore hotel, is it considering luxury overall?

And what about the rebrand JW Marriott? interesting design by Starck however layout making the room looks quite small, how is the luxury travler here rated those 2 hotels?

It looks like Intercontinental in Singapore is one of the better IC among the world, and probably get the look that general people expect from a luxury hotel.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: QF CL
We stayed here a few years ago in a three bedroom villa. I think Capella is a great option for a relaxed family holiday in Singapore (although I'd look for a city property if travelling without the children). Others' experience is more recent but for what it's worth:

1. It was relatively easy to get into town via taxi or (more usually) Uber, factoring in a short wait for the vehicle to arrive. It's about a 20 minute trip.
2. The hotel recommends a fabulous and very experienced babysitter. I was so impressed with her I would use her in Singapore no matter which hotel I was staying at. We have some special needs when it comes to babysitting, and she was excellent in meeting these.
3. I found service at breakfast was terrific and every day a special effort was made for the children, with special placemats, messages written on plates, little gifts and so forth. But this experience may be dated.
4. If it's raining and you are in a villa you'll need to call a hotel buggy to reach the main building unless you want a damp walk. In this sense villas are less convenient but the generous space more than compensates IMO. Our villa had a full laundry with Miele appliances which meant no hotel laundry charges for children's clothing.
5. The villas have access to the club pool which is large and was always mostly deserted during our stay. Great for kids. You can also use the main hotel pools of course, but these are smaller and a bit more crowded.
6. I enjoyed the spa while my family made a second trip to Universal Studios (once is enough for me! ).

FDW
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:30 am

Heard rumors today, that Six Senses signed a property in Singapore and taking over an existing hotel, which is currently closed.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Has anyone stayed at the new Andaz? I'm not necessarily a fan of the brand, but it's Singapore...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:04 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by SaVa
Heard rumors today, that Six Senses signed a property in Singapore and taking over an existing hotel, which is currently closed.
What? A rustic city hotel?
surftb15 and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I am genuinely interested in knowing what went wrong with soft product at FS?
I ask because I had very low expectations checking into the hotel, but was actually very impressed by service.

I was often greeted by name in corridors by cleaning staff (how did they know my name?), by restaurant staff and by lobby. Service was warm, proactive without being overbearing. In general, I had the impression that staff was genuinely interested in my happiness (which is, in my opinion, the true mark of good service).
Yeah, that's my experience at the Four Seasons in Singapore, too. I haven't been since the spring, but until then I had 5 or 6 visits there about 4 months apart.

The rooms are fine, the location is convenient enough for where I usually go. But really the service is why I come back. It's just super consistent, so there's no risk of anything being annoying or stressful. Surprisingly much "welcome back, Mr X", "hello Mr X" from long-term staff.

Really my favorite is that the service staff consistently took responsibility for any requests and taking care of it. I've never been told to "call down" or to ask someone else.

Once I left a stack of currency in the lobby while checking in (it was really late, arriving after a long flight). I found out when I was going to tip the bellhop who brought up my bag. I apologized that I didn't have any cash. 10 minutes later he came up with my money.

Another time I inquired with someone in the hallway about the Apple's that weren't by the elevator. Shortly after he came back with a bag full for me.

It's not as fancy as other hotels, but for me the "no stress or annoying" aspect is valuable.

Also I like the breakfast.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:44 pm

Has anyone stayed at the new Andaz? I'm not necessarily a fan of the brand, but it's Singapore...
I had hope that it would be more like Andaz Tokyo, but what I have seen and read so far is not at all promising. Check the Hyatt forum for reviews.

I agree re FS Singapore. It has good service as one would expect from Four Seasons. For travelers like me who value service quality over “hard product” it is a better choice than the gigantic monstrosities like Ritz-Carlton, MO, etc... Call it dated, bland, or whatever you like, but I’ll still take it over the hideous decor at the StRegis.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by SaVa
Patina maybe?
callmedtop likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I did. In short, it's not a luxury hotel.
bhrubin and 0bsidian like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:27 am

Similar question from a newbie if anyone is willing to indulge me! 3 nights in Singapore, but probably need to book 4 to get guaranteed early check in at 8.30am. I'd like to be in the Marina Bay Area and big positives for us are location, a nice view, good club privileges and cocktails, a nice pool, and a spacious sitting area in room. More minor plus is a furnished balcony.
Budget up to 800sgd a night assuming 4 nights. For that can get:
1. A club marina bay suite or an ocean grand room with club access at the MO
2. A heritage suite or royal suite at the intercontinental (the latter also comes with airport transfers, which is nice but not essential)
3. A club Marina bay room at the RC (and even that is a bit over budget)

Consensus on here seems to be that the RC is best, but is it really worth a lot more money for a smaller room? I've also looked at the Fullerton bay but it looks very underwhelming. Raffles is not accepting bookings for my dates. Which would people go for?

thanks
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:20 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Notagoldmember
Similar question from a newbie if anyone is willing to indulge me! 3 nights in Singapore, but probably need to book 4 to get guaranteed early check in at 8.30am. I'd like to be in the Marina Bay Area and big positives for us are location, a nice view, good club privileges and cocktails, a nice pool, and a spacious sitting area in room. More minor plus is a furnished balcony.
Budget up to 800sgd a night assuming 4 nights. For that can get:
1. A club marina bay suite or an ocean grand room with club access at the MO
2. A heritage suite or royal suite at the intercontinental (the latter also comes with airport transfers, which is nice but not essential)
3. A club Marina bay room at the RC (and even that is a bit over budget)

Consensus on here seems to be that the RC is best, but is it really worth a lot more money for a smaller room? I've also looked at the Fullerton bay but it looks very underwhelming. Raffles is not accepting bookings for my dates. Which would people go for?

thanks
I've stayed at and booked clients at RC, MO and Fullerton Bay...My personally impression, along with client feedback seems to lean towards Fullerton Bay more. It's a better location, newer hard product and great views from the pool. MO has a good pool, great views from Marian Bay Suite and the Club Lounge gets mostly positive feedback. However, it is long over due for an upgrade. The RC's pool is the worst of the 3 options here. RC's pool was updated last December when we visited and it's basically tucked away by the front entrance/parking area with some trees shading it. No views of the M Bay. RC Club Lounge in general doesn't do too much for me so I didn't use it much. Side note regarding RC Club: We just had a 10 hour stay at the RC San Fran and had club access, literally just grabbed two bottles of water and that was it...all food offerings looked like they've been sitting at a domestic airport lounge. St. Regis was our top choice in SFO.

Anyway, I'd say Fullerton Bay or MO would be my preferred choices (I know you mentioned you didn't like Fullerton Bay). Fullerton Bay offers an upgrade at booking up to the Premier Rooms and for MO, I typically get an upgrade at booking in most rooms or suites categories so your agent should be able to do the same. If you don't have one, I'm happy to assist.

Either way, hope you enjoy SIN! The hotel options are depressing but it's one of my favorite cities Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.