Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by carls888
We are in the process of deciding between a city suite at the MO or a suite at the IC. It seems ridiculous, but the location of the IC may win! We have stayed at the MO before in a suite and enjoyed it and their pool is lovely. Club access doesn't matter to us as we are too busy out and eating all the yummy local food on offer. So it boils down to location v pool. (and as we travel with children, the pool may win...)
The IC pool is pretty good too, but not as large of an area as the MO pool. I always see kids at the IC pool, but usually in the shallow areas away from the main pool where I do my laps. I'm never bothered in the morning anyways. There isn't regular service at the IC pool, but you can ring for drinks or food and it will come quickly.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:18 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by stimpy
The IC pool is pretty good too, but not as large of an area as the MO pool. I always see kids at the IC pool, but usually in the shallow areas away from the main pool where I do my laps. I'm never bothered in the morning anyways. There isn't regular service at the IC pool, but you can ring for drinks or food and it will come quickly.
The IC location maybe good for some but doesn't work for me .

Haven't stayed at the MO here again , walked out past midnight many moons ago as the neighbours were really having a wild party .. & , they said they could not move us as at 100 % .
Vastly different from MOBKK , MOHK , etcetera . Real shame .

Valley Wing at SLA is ok . Nice grounds & pool ..
But the Tower Wing is being refurbished & will only be ready before CNY .
It was not noisy , perhaps it was over the holidays ..
Near enough to walk to the UNESCO heritage Botanics for some .

Was at SLA over CHRISTmas , not 12 days , some reserved for Amankila .
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:05 pm

Looking now at either the St. Regis or Shangri la for an over night stay before a cruise.
Loved the Ritz but price is higher for a stay after a long flight and one chill day before a cruise. Any input would help.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LillianJ
Looking now at either the St. Regis or Shangri la for an over night stay before a cruise.
Loved the Ritz but price is higher for a stay after a long flight and one chill day before a cruise. Any input would help.
For St. Regis input, there's nearly a thousand posts about it in the master thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

The short version is very nice suites but hit and miss service. Breakfast service is particularly poor according to most people. I found the late night bar to be good though.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I was often greeted by name in corridors by cleaning staff (how did they know my name?), by restaurant staff and by lobby
Quite surprising and a nice touch, got this also as I stepped out of the car from the airport.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-F...into-the-hotel
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by kzap
Quite surprising and a nice touch, got this also as I stepped out of the car from the airport.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-F...into-the-hotel
Agree, also interesting find on Quora!

Smaller luxury properties (e.g. Aman) manage calling all guests by name quite well, but with that room count it's less tricky.

What I found surprising is that a huge business hotel like FS Singapore could pull it off, especially in trickier circumstances like me casually bumping into cleaning staff in the corridor (so no luggage tag or previous lobby interaction).

MOBKK also delivers this pretty flawlessly in my experience (the legendary elevator guy...).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:46 am

I was often greeted by name in corridors by cleaning staff (how did they know my name?), by restaurant staff and by lobby. Service was warm, proactive without being overbearing. In general, I had the impression that staff was genuinely interested in my happiness (which is, in my opinion, the true mark of good service).[/QUOTE]

Many hotels take your photo when you do not know it and circulate with each change of shift. Some hotels will ask to take your photo. I was greeted by an airport greeter in Seoul once who asked to take my photo and then sent it to the hotel in advance of my arrival.

Last edited by speedbird001; Jan 5, 2017 at 7:56 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:47 am

I have said this earlier in this thread, I think the Valley Wing at the Shangri La is the best luxury product in Singapore.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by speedbird001
I was often greeted by name in corridors by cleaning staff (how did they know my name?), by restaurant staff and by lobby. Service was warm, proactive without being overbearing. In general, I had the impression that staff was genuinely interested in my happiness (which is, in my opinion, the true mark of good service).
Many hotels take your photo when you do not know it and circulate with each change of shirt. Some hotels will ask to take your photo. I was greeted by an airport greeter in Seoul once who asked to take my photo and then sent it to the hotel in advance of my arrival.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that happened to me at FSKH, airport arrival staff asked to take our pictures.

The idea of staff sneakingly snapping pictures of unaware patrons is amusing, though
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:15 am

First trip to Singapore - which hotel and room?

I will be making my first trip to Singapore in early march for 4 nights and am looking to stay somewhere nice, and to have a fun time. It is just me traveling. I don't mind taking a uber / cab to get to places (in fact prefer over walking) so location doesn't matter that much to me (at least in theory). I definitely place a high value on pools. Having a very nice room is also high on my list of wants.

I am definitely open to switching hotels every night or every other night if its a good idea. I plan to stay at MBS for 1 night at least so I can do the infinity pool (bucket list... I know.. I just have to), so that leaves me with 3 nights to plan. I'd like to keep per night cost <1111 SGD (775 USD)

after reading through much of this thread I have narrowed it down to:
SLA
FBS
MO
STR

I do have Visa Infinite and Chase Luxury Hotel Resort collection so I get some perks for most of those hotels. I am also open to booking with virtuoso or something else if I get more perks.

Any tips on room types or for any of the hotels?

my current thoughts were:
SLA - Valley Wing Deluxe or Valley Wing - One Bedroom Suite
FBS - Premier Bay View Room
MO - Ocean Grand Room
STR - Penthouse Room or Caroline Astor Suites

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by SFOwantToFly
Any tips on room types or for any of the hotels?

my current thoughts were:
- Valley Wing Deluxe or Valley Wing - One Bedroom Suite
FBS - Premier Bay View Room
MO - Ocean Grand Room

Thanks for any advice.
I have stayed in the Caroline Astor Suites at the St Regis and thought they were very nice. The bathroom, bedroom and powder room were lovely. The living area was great too but I thought the couches could of been more luxurious. The room was quiet and no corridor noise.

The service was great including butler served drinks to our room in the afternoons. Housekeeping, laundry, reception and other staff I dealt with were very pleasant and accommodation.

The location was at the end of Orchard Road which meant a short walk to all the stores in one direction. The other direction was a small shopping mall with a supermarket where we purchased drinks to have in our room.

I wasn't called by name or overly fawned over which suits me.

I did MBS too for a few nights just to say we did it. Glad you are only staying for one night. It's enough.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MO - Ocean Grand Room

Thanks for any advice.
For the MO, it is very well worth the extra money to book a Club room. For the StR, a St. Regis Suite is a very nice hard product.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:36 am

Annalisa12@: thanks for the info.

stimpy@: So your saying you would rather do a Club Marina Bay vs the Ocean Grand? What about a Marina Bay Suite?

@ the StR, comparing the penthouse vs StR suite, it seems the main differences is penthouse has butler and suite just bigger, any other differences?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Annalisa12@: thanks for the info.

stimpy@: So your saying you would rather do a Club Marina Bay vs the Ocean Grand? What about a Marina Bay Suite?

@ the StR, comparing the penthouse vs StR suite, it seems the main differences is penthouse has butler and suite just bigger, any other differences?
Booking under FHR, I'm always upgraded to a Club Suite, so I'm not sure what the other rooms look like, but the main thing is that the Club at the MO is so very good that it makes the experience true luxury. Without Club, the MO not quite the same level of luxury.

As for the StR, the Master thread referenced above has loads of detail and photos about the different room types. I thought the Penthouse room was mainly just a higher floor room, but the St. Regis Suite is very well appointed and of course also comes with butler service should you require that.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Ritz-Carlton Thumbs Up

Finishing up multi-night stay in Millenium Suite at Ritz-Carlton on 31st floor. View of Marina Bay is stellar. Suite is capacious and all decked out in light wood With large living room, including small study (with view) in one corner and spare 1/2 bath. Bedroom and main bath are in a separate room that also includes small walk in closet. Bed very comfortable on the softer side, but still plenty firm for my needs.

Shower has great pressure and temp range. Toilets aren't full-on Japanese style, but they do have the magic spray function, saving on paper goods (and wear-and-tear, if you know what I mean.) Asprey amenities, which I like, in larger size.

Tech is high average, including HDMI inputs to TV which proved handy for watching NFL playoff games the last two mornings. Wifi worked seamlessly and fast. Would still be helpful to bring your G plugs as only one receptacle (in the study) is a universal input.

Club lounge on top floor (32) is just above. Food selection is fine for light and heavy snacking and drinks, though I tend to wander off to hawker centers for my meals. Club staff couldn't be more accommodating, including helping out with logistics after I realized a prescription med had been left at home in the States.

Can't recommend highly enough, and I'm fairly picky. This was upgraded accommodation from next category down. Upgrade was right after booking. Late checkout (to 4pm) was also confirmed shortly after booking. So much for all the crying about the lack of a good luxury choice in S'pore. Previous stays at SL-VW and 4S were nice, but not up to this standard.

Now to go deal with Thai Airways and their last-minute downguaging of my SIN-BKK segment (on the way to PER) from brand new 359 to what I presume will be an aging 772.

--mcz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.