Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Love this hotel! Hope you enjoy.

We absolutely loved our stay; this was our second time there and everything was just as perfect as the first time.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:52 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:03 am
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
The Lowry in Manchester for one night tomorrow.
m3red likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:25 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by QPRfan
We will head to Sydney in November so our new daughter can meet her Australian family. After this in December we are visiting a few places in NZ before we return:
Azur, Fiordland Lodge, Bluestone on George
Any thoughts of visiting Matakauri Lodge in NZ? Have had clients rave about it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:02 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:02 am
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:15 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by QPRfan
My wife always enjoys spending time with friends and family in Sydney, so I won't be able to extend the NZ portion on this trip.
I haven't been to Queenstown before so was unsure which of Matakauri Lodge, Eichardts and Azur would be best. Andrew Harper rates Azur at 92, but Matakauri Lodge and Eichardts at 95. However if I look at tripadvisor and the percentage of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 star reviews then Azur is 95/2/1/1/1, Matakauri 93/5/1/1/0 and Eichardt's 89/7/2/1/1.
I am not sure I have made the right choice with Azur, but hope that it will be ok. I currently expect that Fiordland Lodge will be the better property (even though it is half the price)
Sweet! Hope to hear your feedback on the property and trip. Enjoy and safe travels
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
For the rest of 2017:

FS Seoul
Palace Hotel Tokyo
Aman Tokyo
Cocoa Island
Gili Lankanfushi
Vigilius Mountain Resort, South Tyrol
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Next month I have stays at both the Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi and Intercontinental Dubai Marina
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Headed in December to PuLi Shanghai for four nights followed by two nights at Amanfayun. Still debating going to HK for a night or two on the way home.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:25 am

Miami for three nights at the end of March. Haven't fully decided on which hotel yet. The main goal is to see Miami
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
End of November Como Miami, the Dunmore Harbour Island Bahamas then Faena Miami.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
I just did a night at the Belmond El Encanto in Santa Barbara! It was really lovely and my first time at a Belmond property. It's probably not fair to measure all hotels against my Aman experience, but them the breaks I guess..
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by mad07
I just did a night at the Belmond El Encanto in Santa Barbara! It was really lovely and my first time at a Belmond property. It's probably not fair to measure all hotels against my Aman experience, but them the breaks I guess..
Tell us more! We're looking at the Belmond for a couple of nights after our wedding in April and would love to hear about your time there.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Tell us more! We're looking at the Belmond for a couple of nights after our wedding in April and would love to hear about your time there.
My experience in a nutshell (okay more than a nutshell):

- Property was gorgeous; nestled in the hills of Santa Barbara with a view of the ocean and a recipient of that fresh ocean breeze, despite being far-ish from water. I really got that old school SB vibe, which was really comfortable and elegant.

- Service was a bit frenetic and troubled at times. They seemed to have some issues between valet/waiting to check in/etc. My biggest problem was actually with the pool attendants, especially since the pool itself is not that big. To order anything or get anything, I basically had to keep going up and flagging the guys. Maybe I'm just used to more attentive pool attendants, having gone to FS Maui and Aman this year..

- Room was really comfortable, spacious, and well-appointed. I was lucky enough to have a 2nd floor view so saw some of the vista beyond the property. Great bathroom with a nice soaking tub (although I had to request bubble bath stuff - you'd think it'd just be in the room). I loved the bathrobes.

- Food was pretty good (I did dinner and breakfast) with a standout being the main course of halibut and strawberry shortcake dessert. they have live music in their bar area too on Saturday nights, which is basically a Sinatra/Buble cover-guy. Felt very appropriate for the atmosphere.

- I also partook in a facial at the Spa, which was really quite nice. Is it better than the facials I normally get at my place in LA? Comparable. But, they did have products that I haven't used before.

Overall, I thought it was a really nice stay. I would definitely stay longer but maybe not at the same price point. I guess it's 'high' season in SB right now (between Polo and Fall) so the rooms were about 2x the price from a month from now. I also booked through Amex FHR so got a $60 breakfast credit, and $100 spa credit. No upgrade but the guaranteed 4pm checkout was great and really allowed me to enjoy the property to the fullest. I also will say that I didnt' leave the property so can't speak to the complimentary shuttle or electric bikes that people have mentioned.

I haven't been to FS SB or San Ysidro Ranch but would really like to check out the latter.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mad07
My experience in a nutshell (okay more than a nutshell):

- Property was gorgeous; nestled in the hills of Santa Barbara with a view of the ocean and a recipient of that fresh ocean breeze, despite being far-ish from water. I really got that old school SB vibe, which was really comfortable and elegant.

- Service was a bit frenetic and troubled at times. They seemed to have some issues between valet/waiting to check in/etc. My biggest problem was actually with the pool attendants, especially since the pool itself is not that big. To order anything or get anything, I basically had to keep going up and flagging the guys. Maybe I'm just used to more attentive pool attendants, having gone to FS Maui and Aman this year..

- Room was really comfortable, spacious, and well-appointed. I was lucky enough to have a 2nd floor view so saw some of the vista beyond the property. Great bathroom with a nice soaking tub (although I had to request bubble bath stuff - you'd think it'd just be in the room). I loved the bathrobes.

- Food was pretty good (I did dinner and breakfast) with a standout being the main course of halibut and strawberry shortcake dessert. they have live music in their bar area too on Saturday nights, which is basically a Sinatra/Buble cover-guy. Felt very appropriate for the atmosphere.

- I also partook in a facial at the Spa, which was really quite nice. Is it better than the facials I normally get at my place in LA? Comparable. But, they did have products that I haven't used before.

Overall, I thought it was a really nice stay. I would definitely stay longer but maybe not at the same price point. I guess it's 'high' season in SB right now (between Polo and Fall) so the rooms were about 2x the price from a month from now. I also booked through Amex FHR so got a $60 breakfast credit, and $100 spa credit. No upgrade but the guaranteed 4pm checkout was great and really allowed me to enjoy the property to the fullest. I also will say that I didnt' leave the property so can't speak to the complimentary shuttle or electric bikes that people have mentioned.

I haven't been to FS SB or San Ysidro Ranch but would really like to check out the latter.
Thanks for the insight - it sounds like a great stay and is exactly what we are looking for (gorgeous property "nestled in the hills" of SB). Glad you had a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.